PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Either way Jan will look great I'm sure. There will always be some speculation when data is lacking, I'm finding while researching my next ship (if I get to it ever) that even ships that were built much later have gaps in fact, my ship research is only from the 1820's but still no photos or detailed plans....
Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Stern

Hi Jan!

I found this pictures from the internet. The black and white one is from a russian homepage. On the left side is La Couronne and on the right side the Sovereign of the Seas.

There the stern of "La Couronne" looks even different than in the pictures you showed. And the second picture shows actually the same drawing on a model constructed by 高橋 恒夫 (Tsuneo Takahashi).

Just one other idea and interpretation...

Rgds,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
La Couronne 1636 ( scratch build ) 1:96-lc01.jpg   La Couronne 1636 ( scratch build ) 1:96-lc02.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks friends for your reply.

birder: I know, Glen, sometimes itīs hard to find properly infos about ships, and in this case I can take some infos just from the engraving from Le Hydrographie, where is surely french ships from the first half of 17 th century - flags from the ship and decorations belongs to Louis XIII, or paints of french/ dutch ships of this age ( there were five ships built before the La Couronne by dutch for french ) and - mainly - from Vasa, which one was bult by dutch also and is only survived ship from this age ( if you compare different pics and engravings of french ships built by dutch, dutch ships and Vasa, you will find a lot of common elements there - so itīs the key Iīm using - and I think the only suitable.

Rdk: thanks for the link, I know this one already, but, unfortunately, there are a lot of mistakes on this page, for example the hull lines of the Prince 1610 shows this ship after the rebuilding in later age - not in 1610, like is mentioned there. Comparison of the La Couronne and Sovereign is wrong - La Couronne were in service only for few years, an Sovereign almost till the end of the 17th century - and the depiction of the Sovereign is after her rebuild in the middle of the century based on the model in the NMM.
Comparison is absolutely inappropriate. Sorry.

Sterns which I shoveds are from two kits - the left one is Corel, the right one is Mantuaīs design. Mantua made Kit based on themodel of the ship lost in 1943, which is showed on wikiīs page ( the model of Japan modeller is made from this kit also ). What was the source for the Corel kit - I donīt know. These pictures showed also some modifications on the ship made by modellers. But the problem Iīm solving now is the bottom part of the side galleries - producers mad e probably modificatio because of gunports - and this modification is unsuitable and probably wrong - you canīt get together different parts of side gallery - top from the cca 1630 and bottom from cca 1680, as is made on these kits.
I asked several friends about this ship, two of them are mariners and experts of shipwright, they couldnīt tell me any exact infos about this ship - because they simply donīt exist, but remind me that both of kits have a lot of mistakes and are called by french historicians and experts as " Disneyīs ship "
. They recommend me the way of research I mentioned before and Iīm doing now. This is the reason Iīm doing some improvement on the ship
Thank you for these ideas anyway. If you īll find some new, let me know, maybe we will find something interesting.

Jan
Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Jan, I seriously would go with common engineering sense in your decisions. Judging from the pictures of your bow and the one on the built kit, I'd say your model makes more sense from a strength point of view. The angles of the support structures on the 'beak' look improbable. It seems like the kit makers were loosely interpreting available information and trying hard to make it look *good*. I'm a layman when it comes to ships so I could be very wrong.....

I'm so glad you're only pausing for air and not stopping! I watch this thread closely along with Radek's, Glen's and Rick's. It's my morning ritual over a cup of coffee and my constant companion while I'm building
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Jan,
It is a pleasure to look at all the fine images of La Couronne you have posted.
A real work of art.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks friends for your comments

Finally the galleries are done. It looks like castle I decided as I have decided to; Itīs difficult to make the result from pieces of informations.

BTW, aft gunports will be closed.

I Wish You A Merry Christmas

Jan

Old 12-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi Jan!

WOW! This looks very impressive! A nice solution you made! I like especially the 3rd, 4th and 5th picture, how they present the mightiness of that vessel. Respect!!

Rgds,
Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Hi friends,

at first Iīd like to wish you all the best in new year 2012

I have a small update on the ship - Iīve just started railing making - is wooden and through small iron bars ( I drilled the ship and railing parts too ) glued cca 5 mm into the ship. Now it should hold tight

Jan

Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Very nice Jan!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Jan,
The colors blend like a great piece of art work.
Marvelous.
Mike
Google Adsense