PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Two for the price of one this thread is getting in danger of catching the build up.

Some more views the accommodation block and funnel.

Made up and fitted the engine room skylight.

Next I fitted the windbreak to the front of the bridge bulwark.

Although lifeboats are drawn up the ship there are no actual davits for the lifeboats so after looking at pictures in John Linwoods book, I came up with a design to scratch build, I glued up 2 thicknesses of scrap card as you can see from the picture's, various stages of cutting out the davit parts.
And there assembly, also the last picture of the ladders the bridge deck to navigation deck and engine room exhaust ventilators.

Not the best pictures a touch out of focus, its not very easy taking pictures of the whole model, unless it's at midday on a very sunny day but you can make out the davits ladders and ventilators in place.

This three quarters view is a lot better.

The accommodation block has been primed with white car spray primer. With a close-up of the davit assembly I also made up a motor the lifeboat pulleys.

Next I made up the mast, the kit provides the mast and platform. I added the radar scanners and railings. The cross spar and navigation lights.

Haven't taken many pictures showing the paintings of parts as I didn't really want to get too much paint on the camera. Samson posts, Hatch combings, the funnel, and ventilators and hatch stowage frames, being primed.

The above parts painted up with their final colour of yellow buff. I was unable to get a big tin of the humble yellow buff so got three of the small tins hoping that they'd all be the same batch unfortunately the second tin I used on the above parts was yellower than the tin I used on the bow section so I have just re-sprayed them with the third tin and they now better match the bow section.

That's all for now

Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Impressive progress on a most impressive model.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Every now and again I think about buying this kit, then I look at this thread and think better of it.
Magnificent work, actually unbelievable. Great job!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Really looking good. Like the extra touches you're adding.

Fred
Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
Your'e doing a great job and should be commended for your stamina.
My biggest problem would be what to do with it when it's finished.
Honey, we're gunna need a bigger winnebago.
If I have to use more than one tin of a color on a model, I buy twice as much as I think I'll need and then mix them all together in a jug.
Then I pour them back into the original tins and seal well.
Your paint is all the same color and will stay fresh.
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks Elliott, Richschindler, don't be put off if you got the space go for it, it's a great model to do and it shouldn't take as long as I've taken quite a lot of breaks and doing it. thanks Fred. thanks Darter, part of the problem is that the paint has faided a bit on the bow and main hull.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:12 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Excellent photos.
All that superstructure really looks good.
Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 05:56 PM

thanks Mike was going to do an update but the speech rec was on a go slow to not working.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:53 PM

Now I have ditched windows 10 and gone back to Windows 7, the voice recognition software works again so I can do an update.
Made up all the ventilators for the accommodation block.

Then made up the boarding steps.

Made up some ladders and cat walks for the aft Samson posts.

I also made up some ladders for the front of the accommodation block.

The mast primed, and a ladder added.

Making a start of the lifeboats they have got much beyond this moment.

Some extras, the joints for the davits, to control columns for the number five Hatch winching gear and motor housing for the winching gear to lift davit arms.

The accommodation block all painted up and ready to be glued in place.

More painting applying black paint to the relevant parts.

Hatch combings glued in place the second photograph you can see some of the other deck fittings all waiting to be affixed.

That's all for now hope you get all the paper models you want under the Christmas tree, and can get some modelling done. I certainly will.
Have a good Christmas

Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM

Well another update unfortunately some fittings on my Christmas list were out of stock mainly some brass eyelets and chain to go on the Hatch covers so the build is on hold at the moment but I can catch up with the update.

First up a picture of the corrugated card shelf I making to put the ship on when it is completed under construction.

Accommodation block is glued in place from the side.

And from the Stern, with the aft deck house fixed in place.

The funnel being glued in place with a bit of weight on top to help hold it down, the davits have also being glued in place and again a picture from the Stern showing both pairs davits.

Ventilators and Samson posts have been fixed in place as well as cargo topping winches and as you can see the balwalk is in the process of being fitted this was a bit of a fiddle to fit but finally got it fixed in place nicely be mainly doing this side of the model is easy to get out I will turn it round when I come to do the other side.

Also added all items to the midship deck house just the railings to add when I have fixed the derricks in place.

The balwork completed and have started to add some railings.

Making up some Winch motors to fix to the Samson posts.

I made up the lifeboat rubbing strakes and some spotlights/work lights.

Very fuzzy picture the back of the ship showing the mast added with some rigging, and some more railings have been added.

The almost completed Winch motors.

That's all for now

Google Adsense