PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-08-2016, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's magnificent. You really have enormous skill. Looks like it's nearing completion.

Don
Old 02-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Thanks Mike, creosotewind and Don.
Just a quick update
a little forest of derek arms being painted.

And railings added to the aft deck house.

That's all for now

Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM

Well it's been some time since I did an update. Took some time working out how to do the rigging and what to use I would look good and not sag I tried different sorts of wire this didn't really work as it was difficult to get it to lay nice and straight, as you can see in the first picture and also the second.

In the end I settled for using some black cotton which turned out to look better than I thought and is a lot easier to use as I could thread it in place and have to pre-assemble it, like I would have done with the wire.

Next picture shows the process of drawing and making up the pulleys I cut out a pulley shape and then cut out some circular discs with the book punch, I stuck one in place as a pulley and then cut one in half and stuck at the top then another pulley shape went on top most of the pulleys are single except for the ones used to raise davits which I made double.

Blocks fixed to the port side davits along with the cargo lifting rigging.

That's all for now.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Still looking incredible. Nice work.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fine (in every sense of the word) work on all the fiddly bits for the masts and booms

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2016, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hi guys (and girls). I am very interested in the SD 14 model, but it's scale is too outrages for me, with a length of the model from more than 2 meters. I am wondering if it would be possible to make the model smaller to a scale 1:200 size. This would it also made available for a bigger public, and the size is good !!
I don't know who the designer is of the model, but it must be possible for him to resize the model to 1:200. Let me know what you guys would think of such an idea.

John.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Check out
SD14 General Cargo Ship - A Card Model Kit of the Liberty Ship Replacement for you to build. The model is constructed in much the same way as the original with interior detail including all holds and cabins.
and
SD14
In view of the original purpose, method of construction and absence of detailed fittings, re-scaling this kit to 1:200 might not be the best way to go.
Perhaps a new design at that scale?

Meanwhile this build is outstanding and fascinating to follow.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:12 PM

Thanks RichSchindler, Don , John and looker,
John I think the designer died about a year ago. I think you could shrink the model down to 1:100. But any smaller and I think it wouldn't really work the model was designed to teach cadets and it is built pretty much as a real thing and you may be better off redesigning it at a smaller scale.

On with the update number five hold davits fixed in place.

Number four and number three hold davits in place with rigging fixed on the port side, as you can see davit to number three hold is going to be in the raised position swung out the side of the ship.

Number one and number two hold davits in place and the rigging fixed. number 2 hold davits are going to be also in the raised position but not swung out. I have fixed the slewing tackle to the davit.

Fixed all railings to the port side of the accommodation block.

With all the davits fixed and rigged on the port side, it was safe to fix the railings in place.

I scratch built some awning frames for the accommodation block here you see awning frames for the port side front of the bridge deck I have fixed an awning in place on the front of the bridge.

Awning frame for the back of the boat deck.

Making up the awning frame for the aft part of the bridge deck.

The awning frame fixed in place.

The starboard bulwork been fixed in place.

Starting to fix and rig starboard derricks.

That's all for now

Last edited by romanmodels; 09-14-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
David, the detail you are adding is fantastic. What are you using for the rigging?

Fred
Old 09-15-2016, 04:46 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Just about the time when I forget about this incredible model, it suddenly reapapers. Getting better and better with each posting. You level of craftsmanship is incredible. I look forward to the day to see it completed. Or not, as then you won't be adding any new build photos. As always enjoy looking at your progress. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Google Adsense