PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work so far.

I enjoyed Marco's build of this beautiful ship, and I am enjoying your description of the build and the excellent images.

You are lucky to have John Lingwood's book. It is out of print and I have been unable to find a used copy for less than $150US. Even the paperback of his shorter book on the SD 14 is going for more than $50US.

Don
Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
I got a copy from my local libary in the uk and made some photocopys. then a fraind who is a marine artst gaive me his copy of the book.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm absolutely stunned. I've never heard of or seen this model before, but I'll be watching this build with a great deal of interest
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM

I just sent Chris a e-mail requesting the amount for the kit + ship to my address in the good ole USA. From the best I can tell, the complete kit to me here in the US runs about $300.00US.
But after seeing Marco build and now another taking the plunge, I just gotta give one ago.
There goes my Hobby buget till well after Christmas!!!!!!!!!
Look forward to more of your build.
Rick
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Well, US$300 divided by the number of hours of fun with this model (a lot!) isn't too bad actually...
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Well, US$300 divided by the number of hours of fun with this model (a lot!) isn't too bad actually...
Funny you should reply, I just finished re-reading your complete build thread of the SD-14 and I agree, I had forgot the 1st time I looked to purchase, the one I found from Germany was over $500.00 US, you are right @ $300.00 that a lesser price and I can deal with that better than the latter.
Now I need to know where you got the following, anchor chain, anchors and those beautiful brass props? Also noticed you used laser cut railing, where did this come from as well. This will be one of those, oh dear you do not have to buy me anything for Christmas, I already got my gift.
Rick
Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
I got a copy from my local libary in the uk and made some photocopys. then a fraind who is a marine artst gaive me his copy of the book.
Found a copy, $50.00 +ship from the UK. But looks like it would be of much interest if building the monster. Look forward to you post some progress photos.
Rick
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM

So the kit w/ref and ship will run me around $350.00 US. As one of my co-workers is forever telling me, its just paper!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Now where will I build this thing and then display?
I'll work that out for later, waiting on Chris to e-mail me back!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
Funny you should reply, I just finished re-reading your complete build thread of the SD-14 and I agree, I had forgot the 1st time I looked to purchase, the one I found from Germany was over $500.00 US, you are right @ $300.00 that a lesser price and I can deal with that better than the latter.
Now I need to know where you got the following, anchor chain, anchors and those beautiful brass props? Also noticed you used laser cut railing, where did this come from as well. This will be one of those, oh dear you do not have to buy me anything for Christmas, I already got my gift.
Rick
The lasercut railing is published by Zeist Bouwplaten (www.zeistbouwplaten.nl), and is a must-have for this kit. I got the anchor chain, anchors, props, radar etc. from a local modelling store (www.quartel.nl) that has a lot of spare parts in stock for R/C scratch builders.
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Papercut I got the railings from the same place as Marco, and the propeller anchors and chain from a shop in the UK. The model dockyard www.model-dockyard.com
I also got a set of self adhesive vinyl hull depth markings. There are little small being 1:72 scale imperial style. The only drawback to them was that thay only has deths numerals in three different styles Arabic and two types of Roman numerals , so my ship is different styles down the side Arabic in the centre and one form Roman numerals at the bow and the other Stern.

the anchors are made by Aeronaut and are there cast metal hall type 50 mm in height, width, 29 mm and are £8.49 $11.10

the propellers by Rivabo and are 65 mill diameter with a 4 mm thread £14.80 $19.36
the chain is made by Krick fittings and is 3.1 x 1.9 startling chain and comes in metre lengths £19.94 $26.09

I think the kit is well worth the money even if it seems a bit daunting.

Marco did you follow Manfred Hochmeister SD 14 build on the old Kartonmodell Forum I saved some pages from his thread where he was rigging the derricks, but the pictures have saved as small thumbnails and it's hard to see any detail. I have found their archive site but I don't understand German do you or anyone else on the forum no German and can see if they can fined it for me.
here's a picture of the model about three weeks ago
Thanks David

Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-small-31.jpg  
Google Adsense