PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-07-2016, 10:23 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
First off I want to thank you for sharing this incredible build with us, and now especially me.
Second, thank you for the advice in regards to the card stock as well as the railings. I have been in touch with Staples and they said they do have A3 card stock in 67 lb version. Not sure if this is good enough? I may take a few pages there just to see if there copies are any good, if not I'll go the way of buying more blanks sheets as you suggested, and finding a good quality laser copier somewhere.
BTW? I've downloaded I believe around thirty of your photos from your build, to use as a guide for when I get around to building mine. Or should I say, if I get around to building mine.
Thanks again!!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
67 lb. is a bristol vellum cover and does not have the strength needed. Great for a majority of models but not the SD 14.

Need at least and 80 lb cover stock or 125 lb. manila tag. Caliper 0.008 in. and 0.009 in.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:26 AM

You see, this is why I love this site, helpful, knowledgeable people. I would have gotten it done on 67 lb stock and it would have turned out badly.
Thank you.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
i whod go for the manila it hard on blade sharpness but it has a tuffness to it with out being to hard so it will roll and curve, with out to much cresing.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Very impressive! Congratulations on finishing her, I know it's quite a task!
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2016, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.53 MB
SD 14 help and suggestions

Been working on the bow section. Having a great time with the build. So much so, I am about to buy the stern.

As I finish the bow, I do want to add some detail.
1) I have seen multiple references to railings available at; - Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels. As I view the site, I don't see anything looking like railings for the SD14. Am I missing them? Or is this something I should just email the site directly about?
2) Anchor and chain. Intend to order a few bits like anchor and chain to detail it up a bit. What would be the approximate size for an anchor for this beast? Chain link size? I could guess, but figured I would go to the experts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Railings SD14

Hello,

I am a little bit late with a response. But could not find any answer on your request. I know the guy of Zeist Bouwplaten personally. Just send him a mail asking for the SD14 railings and he will definitely answer you how to order and the costs thereof.

Regards,

Gert Vlaanderen
Lunteren, the Netherlands.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.53 MB
Gert,
Thanks very much. I did as I was thinking and simply emailed the site. He responded promptly. We quickly worked out payment and the railings arrived in a few weeks.
They are really well done. Haven't used them yet, but they will definitely up the quality of my work with a modest cost.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Sorry for the late reply to your post, I see you got the railings so won't mention any more about them except to use them sparingly especially if you think you might do the midsection as well.
I got the rest of my fittings from Cornwall model boats, www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk
I used Amati 3 mm brass ring bolts 4005/03 on the Hatch covers and 1 mm black chain by Artesania Latina.
I used Becc Imperial waterline and hull markings and some of their lettering the ship name.
I got to 4 blade type A 65 mm diameter brass propellers by Raboesch.
3 hall type 50 mm high 29 mm wide anchors by Aeronaut.
The stud link Anchor chain by cauldercraft fittings 5,5 links per inch a meter length c65405.

I hope that helps the various lights and lamps I made up from paper using the plan the back of SD14 the full history by John Lingwood. isbn 1-901703-64-9.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 PM

First let me say thanks for listing all the hardware and such, I'll write it down for when I build mine.
Now I must tell you how much I hate you, no, not really, but by watching you build that wonderful ship I got the urge and went out and bought my own, as if that wasn't bad enough, I went out and bought a , all in one printer that will scan A3 size. So of course I've already scanned it in. So now I figured, why not attempt a pre-build. So that's what in doing now, I've printed it onto like letterhead sized paper shows .67 when I go to print, and now I'm building the upper deck area, living quarters and up to the bridge. And I have you to thank, or curse, LOL.
Thanks again for all the info that will help me build the full size on, one day.
Google Adsense