PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-12-2011, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sd 14

Hello,

Congratulations on the fourth birthday of building the SD 14.
I hope it will be ready at the fifth!!

Possible to inform us what type of paint you used?
Marco once told that he bought regular paint at the hobbyshop.

I am thinking of using paint like the Humbrol from the modelshops.
But that is only available in very small tins.

Regards,

Gert Vlaanderen
Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Hello Gert
I used red car primer below the Plimsoll line. A thin coat where I was going to paint the hull red just to seal the card, the bottom and the lower portion of the hull I put a thicker coat on as it seen to be a similar colour to the antifouling paint. the topsides and deck. I sprayed a light coating to grey car primer and I will use white on the accommodation and deck houses to seal the card.
The topcoat I did with Humbrol enamels I got 50 mill tins off eBay of the black, red, green and white gloss and a 15 mill tin of yellow but I got three more small tins of yellow and the bluegrey. I applied the paint with an airbrush. I don't know if it's my bad airbrushing or still slightly porous card, but the finish is slightly matt places but I think this gives it a more realistic look. I have used about a quarter of the 50 Mill tins.
I had to do the white on the Bows several times as I had missed putting on a strip of masking tape either side and ended up with a black sporty strip site use a paintbrush to paint out the blackspots. Luckily it's where the name goes so it's not as noticeable.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 AM

HEY ,I forgot to hit the right button ! Anyway,I use hardware store brand clearflat paint on my models BEFORE I do the color coats .This solves the spotty flat/gloss finish problem .I am going to make arrangements to get one of these ships in May on or about my B,day. catchya later--papersurprise50
Old 12-27-2011, 04:05 PM

A belated happy Christmas and some more Sd 14 the first picture is a top view engineering flats Starborough to side as clean and dirty water tanks and various oil tanks, which also run across the forward section of the bulkhead the port side as the engine control room and the electrical control panel and electricians stores.the next is more than a bleak view from port side.
Next we have the buildup of the Stern above the propeller one seeing the buildup from aft and one from the front. This is built up as a separate unit and is only fixed by a small area to the rest the ship and is a bit of a weak point until all the ribs are in place to make number five hold. The final picture shows the Stern piece in place on the rest of the ship.

I forgot to mention an earlier post that I have saved all the waste pieces of card offcuts, which is worked out a good move as I have had to remake some parts especially Hull plates. Also proving useful at a later stage are the roughly 3 mill wide strips card in between tank top longitudinal is as I'm using them to represent the swageing that characterises the sides of the deck houses and accommodation block
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-small30.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small32.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small33.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small34.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small35.jpg  

Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 AM

Looks to me like you are making fairly good progress.Remember I said I sometimes convert all that to plastic using the paper parts for patterns ? From what I see I,ll just build the card-model . Keep on keeping on , very good so far . Will you have an opening for a ship captain when she,s finished ? I like what I see . papersurprise50

Last edited by papersurprise50; 12-28-2011 at 06:04 AM. Reason: mispelled wording
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Cool paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Hello,

Congratulations on the fourth birthday of building the SD 14.
I hope it will be ready at the fifth!!

Possible to inform us what type of paint you used?
Marco once told that he bought regular paint at the hobbyshop.

I am thinking of using paint like the Humbrol from the modelshops.
But that is only available in very small tins.

Regards,

Gert Vlaanderen
GERT ,I usually use regular hardware store paint (spra on ALL the larger areas and TESTORS -" MODELMASTER " brand on the rest papersurprise50
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Very nice build! This is quite a project, and you are doing a wonderful job with her.

Looking forward to your further updates when available!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Followers of this thread may like to know that I have just had a few more copies of the railings lasercut detail set prepared. Available via my internet shop www.zeistbouwplaten.nl
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM

thanks Jim. Diderek your railings really do finish the model off well. Well worth the money.
on with the build next two pictures show the ship from the top. the third is showing the aft bulkhead to number five hold with the tunnel escape rising up and accessing into the steering flat and it's aft bulkhead with the frames to support transom and the spacing between acting as a rope locker.I added these bits on out of sequence to add a bit more support to this Stern part before adding on the shelter deck to the rest of the ship
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-small36.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small37.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small38.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Accurate, spectacular work!
I look forward to the sequel!
Joe
Google Adsense