PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
romanmodels and marco, thanks guys for the info I will use to get the additional needed parts.
Rick
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Hi David, I definitely followed Manfred's build, and we had quite a bit of contact when I built my SD-14
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Well I was e-mailed the price for the SD-14. Sadly I will need to wait until after the holidays if by then I find the courage to order. As priced $485.00US Need I say more, for now I will just enjoy your build of it, but to me it is abit out of what I am willing to pay!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM

SD 14 Again !!!

Hello,

Very much surprised to see someone else building the SD 14 again! Keep going! I visited Manfred Hochmeister in Vienna about 2 years ago to see his ship. The lining of the derricks he actually did with very thin, green, "flower wires"
Are you going to paint the whole as well?

There are a lot op pictures of this ship on: www.shipspotting.com
There is even a separate category for the SD14. To see their pictures "full screen" you will have to register yourself. But it free of charge and worth the effort.

If you complete the model befor October 2012 I am very much interested in putting it on an exhibition in the Netherlands.

Regards and happy building

Gert Vlaanderen
Lunteren - The Netherlands.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Gert it is likely that it may be finshed by october next year so a bit more info on the exhibition.
Back to the build next picture shows the transverse beams fixed that support the shelter deck at this stage. I then decided that I would build the model in one go, so that I wouldn't be building a new section on a completed part of the build. So next we have the bottom plates the midsection and Stern laid out this picture was taken at the end of March. The next one was taken in October showing all the floors in place. This is this builds equivalent to making tracks. I can cut a sheet out of these floors in an hour and about 200 of them.
In the above post but you will notice that I have changed the base in the last picture from the war before this is what I thought was a nice flat piece of plywood but it was slightly bent, so I ended up with a banana shaped boat when I got the stage of the last picture. I fixed it by cutting across the whole where the midsection joins the bow and where it joins the aft section the cut went through the floors but not the bace plates. It did still have a tendency to bend up. So until I'd got the bulkheads and the box girders running the length of the ship. I kept a stack of about five paperbacks placed along the length of the ship to keep it flat and it seemed to work.
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-small14.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small15.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small16.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small17.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small18.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM

A bit of history first i am actually painting the hull at the moment and was just checking, I'd got my heights right for the hull painting and remembered this picture in the book . The caption reads a 1978 view of Austin and Pickersgill's Southwick shipyard the ship at the fitting out berth in the left foreground is Cluden and to the right of the fitting out quay are the fitting out workshops. To the right of these is a steel stockyard with another larger stockyard further to the right. The paler coloured sheds right on the River in the centre of the picture are the fabrication and erecting shops built-in 1976; the darker sheds inland date from the laying out of the new yard in 1955 . The sd14 on the far bank of the river wear is believed to be the Australind fitting out at the pallion quay, the former shorts Bros quay which was acquired by Bartram's in the 1960 on the conventional berths on the north bank the grey hulled aegira is almost ready to be launched, with the Funing in the early stages of construction alongside. beyond them are the covered building birth,Stern section and block assembly Hall dating from 1975.
In 1978 . This shipyard was arguably the most up-to-date shipyard in the world at the time but destined to operate but only another 10 years before government policies dictated the end of large-scale merchant shipbuilding in Britain and the site was quickly razed to the ground. Shows what nationalisation can do to an industry.
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-shipyard.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 PM

The first picture shows tank top plates in place and the bases for the propeller shaft bearings.
The second shows the watertight bulkheads in place, the smaller hold in the middle is the dead centre of the ship and has watertight hatch covers enabling this hold to be used as ballast tank sinking the ship centrally in the water or for carrying a liquid cargo.
The third is a close-up of the aft side of the aft engine room watertight bulkhead showing the sliding door giving access to the shaft tunnel escape.
Which is seen in the fourth photograph with the tunnel sides in place and another ballast tank bulkhead in place.
Moving on to the larst one picture showing the buildup of the ballast tanks either side of the escape tunnel that will form the base of number five hold.
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-small19.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small20.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small21.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small22.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small23.jpg  

Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM

That's insane! Great detail, and a very clean build.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM

My question is ,WHERE can I get one of those .Now that,s a ship .You are doing a great job so far ! papersurprise50
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks Rockekmantan and Papersurprise50 if you read the first post in the thread it has all the info on where to get it .
The first picture is from the bow's looking aft with the shelter deck box girders in place and the web frames holding the ends of the transverse girders. You will notice that the midsection hatches are wider.
the side view showing the large number 2 hold and behind it. The number 3 hold called a deep tank . This is a totally watertight tank and can be used to hold liquids or to sink the ship century in the water as it is the centre of gravity of the ship.
looking forward from number 4 hold. From this view. You can see the smaller Hatch openings to number 3 hold.
the next shows longitudinal deck beams in place.
As to day is the forth anaversery of me starting the model here is a pic from to day.
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-small24.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small25.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small26.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small27.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-small-11-12-11.jpg  

Google Adsense