PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Mike

You don't waste any time starting another project! Looking forward to this build. As expected with a GB kit, the parts appear to fit very well. I noticed in the first image (lower hull), that the bulkhead part lines are visible. Are you cutting on the center or outside of the lines, and are there any recommendations in the instructions?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Building your new ship, Mike, looks like a really interesting vessel, and I'm sure will be a great model
Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
Mike

You don't waste any time starting another project! Looking forward to this build. As expected with a GB kit, the parts appear to fit very well. I noticed in the first image (lower hull), that the bulkhead part lines are visible. Are you cutting on the center or outside of the lines, and are there any recommendations in the instructions?
Thanks rmks2000!
I usually cut on the lines, or just outside. Carl/GB does not have any specific recommendatioin on that point in the instructions (unless I missed it), but he designs his parts very precise. My experience with Iena was that it was usually best to cut "exactly" on the lines. His parts tend to be very accurate.
Mike

Also, Thanks so much Glen!!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Attention to the building, great job!
Sincerely, Joe
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
I try to split the lines. Dont cut outside them. I have been chastised for that sin...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
First, let me say that Barry and I were very close. I have been in total lockup design-wise since losing his counsel and assistance. I haven't felt like posting since that sad day.

On to the model... I have my fingers crossed that Mike will not find any glaring problems since he is acting as beta builder for this. The kitting is almost entirely ready to share, although with a list of corrections from my editor (Fred).

I design with the smallest edge line that reliably shows up at 600dpi - a two dot line. You should cut right down the middle of it if you can tell the difference. There are many small allowances built into the parts so that rolled parts will fit correctly through holes, etc. and so double sided parts (card backed with printed paper) will stack properly in the bridges and structures. I'm interested to see how Mike likes the angled upper hull frames. I personally found them to solve a lot of problems.

Carl
Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You give out so many techniques, and so freely. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hi John, always good to hear from you. I don't know what I gave away there... but if helps any, I design in Rhino at 600dpi so that when I flatten things they come out the correct size. I allow offsets for card or paper thicknesses.

As for Iowa, if one looks through the available images, it can be seen that there are things that don't appear on the model. I tried to model her as for 1898 which, for one thing, lead to the grey paint job rather than the spiffy white that followed. Also, war experience showed that the shock from firing main guns caused damage and effects over the superstructures and in the secondary turrets. In the 8" turrets people were knocked down or even concussed from the blast. At this period it was expected that bits of the ship - decking, davits, etc. would fly off while firing. There is a description of how a piece of a gun's lining blasted out while test/practice firing on a RN battleship. It was not realized at the time that the gun had fractured because observers thought the splash of the fragment was simply a piece of deck debris that had blown off. Thus, for Iowa, in some photos there are blast shields that appear bolted onto the barrels of secondary guns.

This blast problem occurred all the way through the second world war and navies placed restrictions on the firing arcs of different guns in order to minimize damage while firing.

Carl
Old 12-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Carl,

Good to hear from you. Barry's passing was hard news. He will be sorely missed here.

That is interesting information on the damage from firing the main guns. As an artilleryman I can tell you there is a terrific muzzle blast from big guns. I enjoy the feel of it (from the side or rear), but then I'm talking about 155mm to 8in. The 12 and 14 inch gun's blast would be quite painful and damaging if anywhere within a frontal arc. If anyone has seen the movie "Under Seige II" and remember's the scene where the main gun fires and slides the bad guy across the deck...consider him lucky.

Again, good to hear from you Carl. Always great information.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thanks Joe, Fred, John and Jeff for comments and information.
And thanks Carl for more history. My father served on a small aircraft carrier durring the invasion of North Africa early in World War II. I remember his story about watching the battleship Texas firing her main guns. He told me he did not understand how sailors could keep from going deaf serving in and around those guns. It left quite an impression on him.

Here is a remarkable image of the U.S.S. Wyoming firing her main guns ......... with lots of sailors standing all around the turrets!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Iowa BB04 1896 Golden Bear 1:250-bb32-wyoming-guns-1919.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-10-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Google Adsense