PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I took Rudolf the Red Nose and Shaun the Sheep too. Freezer is full, let it snow. :D

Tappi
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Here's one picture of the inner structure assembly. with only one longitudinal spar in place it's still a bit wobbly but I hope to get that corrected with the three remaining spars. When the glue has set we get to dry-fit the obelisk in transportation mode.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-inner-structure-assembly.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 AM

Inner structure is now finished. Some of the openings in the formers are a tad tight and the obelisk does not reach it's position completely. I have to see if can do something to correct the situation. If not I just leave the obelisk out and let it stand aside the barge to show what it was designed to transport. But you'll get the idea anyway from the picture attached here. On with the build, I'll post next updates this evening. Tomorrow is the Independence Day in Finland so I have lots of time to build more. Skinning her is the next stage I think.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-inner-structure-obelisk.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 AM

I started working with the tube that is the outer skin (could't resist the temptation to test if the inner tsucture would fit). And it didn't. Shoot. I already cut the skin in two parts to be able to show the intestinals The inner part should slide in and out - well it doesn't thanks to my clumsy build.

Now I have two options: either print a new set of parts and build the hull from three parts or try to fiddle with the cut out parts. I have to think that for awhile. Anyways here's how I go on.

The inner structure is a model of its own shoving how the obelisk was wrapped. Then I build a new obelisk to show what this whole thing was about. And then I build the barge as a third piece. So I guess I'll just print a new set of parts and go on - that didn't take long to figure out, now did it. So insted of one model I'll do a set of three.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-tube.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Tappi, that's such a wild piece of history! I can't wait to see your finished project

Ron
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 AM

Thanks for poppin' in Ron. The story of the obelisk is quite unique. Looking at the stone, the tsructure and barge hull makes one wondering the balance of it. It must have weight tons and the vessel is round with no keel! Crazy piece of maritime history.

Tappi
Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Terve Tappi!
Hienoa!

That is an interesting model! The obelisk within the transportation structure looks very interesting! Good idea with the "3in1" model. I am looking forward to seeing it! Don't get discouraged about it when parts do not fit! Just "make" them fit! I remember my struggle with all the maly modelarz kits...

Rgds,
Radek

PS: What scale is that model exactly?
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Hei Radek,
Kiva kun tykkäät!

I just move on despite troubles and work the solution on the way. I could have forced the structure in but that's not fun if you can't show it so that's why I decided to leave it out. I think the model is designed well with only minimal tolerance and my skills just didn't match this time. I have to consider byuing a compass cutter for more precise cutting. :D

Tappi
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Excellent work thus far. I look forward to seeing this model progress.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 873.43 MB
Tappi, I tried this model a couple of months ago and had exactly the same problems of fit. Firstly the Needle wouldnt fit right home in the framework; I "fixed" the issue by making a new thinner Needle (reprinted it at 97% if I remember correctly) as that seemed easier than making a new cradle. It worked, but like you the cradle/framework didnt fit in the hull. I lit the fire with the remains, but I might try again following your thread. I dont believe there is a problem with the kit, which is beautifully done. More likely finger trouble, or possibly too thick card. Good luck, its a unique model, Bailey
Google Adsense