PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thanks Jeff and Bailey. I too think the desing is ok and I might have printed on a too thick paper, formers I cut exactly on the line but the gap was nearly 1mm. Well, the issue is solved - it's going to be a 3 in 1 display and that's it.

Tappi
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Tappi,
Glad to see one of Oliver Weiss' "Walden Models" being built.
He has some very interesting items on his web site. I like his experimental "Cigar Steamer", and I have seen several excellent renditions of the Imperial Steam Yacht "Livadia".
Nice work.
Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Hi Mike, yes the designer is oliver Weiss - such an embarrasment I didn't mention him in my opening statement. I too like the Tzars yacht - floating palace -Livadia and might someday consider trying to build her.

I got the hull glued together and started fitting the barge. Hull is in three pieces and I tell you it's no picnic to assemble her. Look at the kit photos in the first post. Edge colouring should be made really suttle, you need quite many tabs you have to fabricate yourself and most of all do not hurry - let the glue cure completely before you take the your next step.

My build is not an example of what can be achieved with this model but I give you couple of hints: edge clouring with water colour or acrylics only and mix your colour carefully to match.

BTW the stone weighed 50 tons. :D

More to come later,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-hull-some-fittings.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 AM

When the casing was done the round hull was rolled into the Mediterreanean. The barge then got fitted for the journey alongside some quay and she got her quarters, bridge, rigging etc.

Her launch was photographed and reported on The Illustrated London News (among many other papers I trust). Pictures in newspapers we're gravures at that time because print reproduction of photography was yet not invented.

Balkan was at termoil those days because of the Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878) but our barge got the biggest space on the same page where the war was reported - among other things the execution of two Bulgarian spies.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-cleopcase.jpg   1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-illustrated.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 03:22 AM

Some more fitting going on:
- bilge keels
- forward manhole sleeve
- bridge manhole
- stairs to the bridge
- deckhouse supports
- small additions to the rudder
She becoming more fragile with every additions so I have to be carefull.

She was fitted at Khedive dry dock in Alexandria and after fitting the cigar shaped barge was named Cleopatra.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-more-fittings.jpg   1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-kastaminen.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
That is such a fascinating - if somewhat perverse - story, going to all this trouble to steal and symbolically erect the huge loot in your own frontyard. So to speak.

I remember when the model was designed and Oliver Weiss, the designer, had a competition about what he was designing. Very difficult, and very surprising outcome. Who could have guessed anything like this ever took place.

What a fine little model you have turned out.

Leif
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Tappi,

I am really enjoying this thread. Excellent work on the model. The fact that you have also added pictures and articles from the period has made this educational, also. Thank you.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks Leif. I can imagine it was hard to guess. Jeff - thanks and if not that educational (I tend to take shortcuts when I can) I hope at least partially entertaining. I like to study facts and stories behind the model I'm building. I guess everybody does that to some extent.

Small additions and this time I mean size. Towbit to the bow, companionway and anchor with winch under it. I took some artistic liberties turned the winch lenghtwise as I interpeted it was in one gravure. Makes sence to position it like that, doesn't it?

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-even-more-fittings.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM

A small update:
- ships wheel
- navigation lights (if those are on wrong sides let that be landlubbers signature)
- liferings
- rudder chains

I read in some modelling forum a way to produce a small scale chain. Take two strands of copper wire, twist them loosely round each other and then yank a bit every turn to open litle and you got a small chain you can color black. I think I have to practise moore. :-)

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-wheel-navigation.jpg   1878 British Obelisk Transport Barge-rudder-chains.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
You might consider something like Olli's chain from this post
Battleship "Schleswig Holstein"/ Section

I personally think it came out as well as any small chains
Google Adsense