PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-14-2011, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley

Well, the ‘special project’ has got to a stage where it might be good to show a few photos.

Some time ago CT began work on an 1812 War Row Galley – some 75ft long and propelled by 40 oars, these vessels were equipped with two cannon – typically a 24pdr and 42 pdr. Quick to build and inexpensive, both the American and British forces employed these boats on the Great Lakes, many continuing in use until the late 1820’s. Taking the basic dimensions and key characteristics of these vessels, CT came up with a generic row galley of the period.

There have been a number of different obstacles to overcome in building this one to the stage I am now at. I think Corey will concur that, being amongst his early designs, if he were to redraw the vessel today some parts might have been designed a little differently. This is by no means a criticism on CT's design skills but purely an example of the value of experience gained over time (which, again, I'm sure CT will agree with). What it has done is given me the opportunity to work a bit more with Gimp and Sketchup, thus improving my drawing skills.

The lower part of the hull (the red) is, at present single strips. After covering the hull with light cardstock to give it something to adhere to, this seemed like the easiest way to achieve the correct shape. The small circles are for the oarlocks which still have to be fitted. There is still some way to go with this one, but it's off the ground and rolling now.

One thing I’m a little worried about at the moment is the fact that it is difficult to define any sort of scale from looking at the ship – there being nothing visible that the eye can recognise as a standard size (does that make sense?). Having mentioned this to CT, he is pretty confident that with the addition of the guns and oars this will not be a problem any more.

Well, watch this space for further updates on the build – hopefully it wont be too long before we’ve got this one sorted out and available to others…
Attached Thumbnails
CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-4.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-sany0009.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-2.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-sany0038.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-sany0041.jpg  

CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-sany0042.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-sany0045.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-sany0046.jpg   CT's 'Special Project' - or the 1812 War Row Galley-allen_reconstruction.jpg  

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Between this project and "War Artisan's" upcoming Battle of Lake Erie models, the War of 1812 is finally getting the respect it deserves!!

Russ
Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Shawn:
We don't see much from that era. So this should be enlightening and fun to watch. Good luck.
Mike
Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Shawn went to great lengths getting it this far. I gave it up for dead a long time ago! I have the guns about ready and will send them to him next, so we can see it all together.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
This is so cool! How were these boats used tactically?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
that I am not sure, as they seemed to have been used in "fleets" and in single patrols. Also they worked along side larger gun boats. I have not read up on the battles f the Great Lakes yet, so this is only what I gleaned from the back ground on sites that have been restoring these old boats. I can see that they could be a real danger to larger ships in shallow waters.
CT
Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Yes, with 24/42 pdr cannons and some speed and maneuverability, I can see these could be quite dangerous, especially close under the British guns.

If you come across some sources that describe the action of these boats, please post them. I would love to learn more.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Charles - Although there seems to be little written about the activities of these little ships, the following web page - http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org12-7e.htm - is a report on the excavation of the Row Galley Allen, discovered in 1981 in Lake Champlain. The preliminary part of the report gives some indication of the work of these boats, whilst the remaining part of the report gives details of the excavation, recovery and preliminary restoration.

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Very nice, I am glad to see some ships from the age of sail come through that aren't quite as intimidating as some of the masterworks I have seen. Need some 1/300 frigates now!

Doug
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Shawn, Ct
Do you have any idea of the scale. I was wondering the size in relation to the ACW vessels that CT has created. Nice work, it looks to be tedious at best and time consuming at worst.
Joe
Google Adsense