PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking Thanks! (I hope)

Maj. CD:

The expression "a piece of work", has, as you and I both well know, several levels of meaning ....I trust that you mean this charitably!! (ha ha)

This crane ain't quite done yet..... This is (almost) the last of the fiddly bits, except, of course for the "folding floatplanes" and a couple of little extra non-prototypical removable "surprises" to be revealed later!!

Have you got your copy of Mannock's "Sen Toku Raid" yet??

Regards,
Your ground-pounding bro,
Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Definitely charitable! And, yes, the book came a couple days ago. Busy building models right now, but I will soon open it up!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Looking good, Jim. The crane is a nice touch - did the real item retract down to be flush with the deck when not needed? If so, then it must have been mounted outside the pressure hull, sort of like the periscopes - though it would not have to absorb the lateral pressure of moving water in an extended position.

Funny how the details make you more fully appreciate the engineering of the original.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Jim, very good crane! Your submarine is very fine!

Marco
Currently Building: RN Zara 1:400
Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Eternal Member

The I-400 actually had 2 x pressure hulls, laid side by side so as to form a binocular shape in cross section. This accounts for the broad beam of this beeste. The crane was, in all likelihood, set outside of the pressure hulls, (in the ballast spaces) as there would be no need to deploy it while submerged.

I actually do not have a hot clue how this crane actually operated and whether it was periscope-like or not. I noodled it up so as to be "semi-retractable" and "semi- stowable". The dimensions of the "crane tub" on the model suggest that I might well have been wrong. Ca va la vie!

I needed to be able to retract/ stow the crane for further "photo opps"!

MTF!
Jim

Wilfried, Robert,Reuben, Chuck, Marco,Treadhead, Simon etc: Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions!! "If your friends are there, then everything's all right" --The Who

Maj. Charles: Re "piece of work": I know a few people who might be UN-charitably described thus!! Some of these, I was even married to... Hence, my caution!!
Attached Thumbnails
IJN I-400 "Sen Toku" Submarine in 1:200-i-400-japans-secret-aircraft-carrying-strike-submarine-hikoki-2006-19.jpg  

Last edited by Fishcarver; 03-12-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Eternal Member

Moving right along here!!

Today, I finished the crane, fabricated the propeller shafts and installed the stanchions so as to rail the upper (AAA) deck. I will be using steel wire (sequin pins), super glue, and heavy waxed linen thread for this. Once the railing is in place, on both the gun deck and the lower deck, I will install the conning tower sub-assembly, the antennas and the underwater details. Last will be the very delicate 25 mm guns. (If all goes well, one of these guns will have a crew!!)

Then.... can you hear the SEIRAN??

Pix to follow!
Jim
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I admit I am by no means an expert on the Sen-Toku class, much as I admire them, and the phenomenally good model you are producing, Fishcarver.

I recall reading that the crane was "collapsible to deck level", by which I took it to mean that the vertical pole ended up laying flat in the trough beneath the horizontal boom.
This would account for the apparent width of the trough in the very few deck photos of the Sen-Toku I have seen.
Mechanically, it would be easy to understand, if one considered that retractable bollards were in use, and thus an adaptation of the same mechanism, suitably strengthened, could be used with the crane. In such an arrangement, the vertical pole would have a partly hollowed-out base, into which the retracted "plugtube" would extend when the crane was set-up on deck. Sort of |[]| as it were. The [] would retract, allowing the crane pole to be lowered into the below-deck-surface trough.

I hope the description helps.

I very much admire this model, and have greatly enjoyed watching it being built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Fishcarver, Uyraell.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Eternal Member

Thumbs up Spasibo!!

Urayell: Your comment is PRECISELY why I like this forum, as we all learn from each other, often as much as from our reference materials!! Thank you much for your observations and your kind words. I mean this sincerely!!

The crane now is the way it is going to be. I am now proceeding to apply the railings; first to the upper deck, and then to the lower. I will be using steel wire and heavy linen thread for this part.

In building this model, I have actually built up many "mini- models" as sub-assemblies. This has helped me refine many skills!

I am glad that you and others are watching the progress of this model. It increases my pleasure in building it!!

Best regards from Canada!
Your friend
Jim
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Jim you are more than welcome, my friend.
I am equally sincerely glad to have helped in clarifying that crane matter.

While it is true I've yet to build a model (mainly due to ongoing financial crises) I certainly enjoy contributing, in the small way I'm able, with information I may have.
One way and another, we all here on this forum end up helping eachother and learning from eachother, and thus, by passing info I have I repay the many kindnesses I have received from members here.

I'm truly warmed in heart when some piece of data I contribute helps a friend in a build.

Kind and Respectful Regards Jim my friend, Uyraell.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM

I should have said "Pzhaelst" to "Spasibo".
Other members here will be far more fluent in Russian than am I.
Even so: though in part multi-lingual, that fades to irrelevance when assisting a friend and fellow Modeller.

Fact remains, Jim: you are doing what I could not, and achieving that which I will take several years to gain the pre-requisite skills necessary.
Which, in itself, is one of many reasons I so very much admire your model of the Sen-Toku I-400.

Kind and Respectful Regards Jim, Your Friend Uyraell.
Google Adsense