PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Ships and watercraft (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/)
-   -   IJN I-400 "Sen Toku" Submarine in 1:200 (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/17400-ijn-i-400-sen-toku-submarine-1-200-a.html)

Fishcarver 12-05-2011 03:45 PM

IJN I-400 "Sen Toku" Submarine in 1:200

2 Attachment(s)
With SURCOUF safely behind me, I've decided to tackle a 1:200 rescale of Etsutan Papercraft's I-400 "Sen Toku (Special Attack)" submarine. This was originally published in 1:400 scale. I purchased it as a download (see my earlier post in "Kit Reviews).

The kit consists of four A4 pages of parts, including a number of aircraft, as well as assembly drawings. The print quality is excellent.

I rescaled the model using IRFANVIEW. Resulting print size will be on architectural 17" x24" stock, which my friendly local printer advises will pose no problem. The rescale did not cause any degradaion of the rendering. (I have attached a copy of one of the rescaled "SEIRAN" aircraft).

Thanks to Cam, my friendly local used bookstore proprietor, I was able to acquire a copy of "I-400: Japan's Secret Aircraft-Carrying Strike Submarine", published by Hikoki Warplanes in 2006, This will be invaluable in detailing this model!!

Wish me luck, and stay tuned!

Jim

OhioMike 12-05-2011 09:12 PM

Now were talking!!!!!! Watching and learning!!!

Fishcarver 12-06-2011 12:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
One thing I have noticed immediately: the designer doesn't believe in glue tabs on his parts.......

In the overall scheme of things, this probably will be the LEAST of my worries.....:)

Gotta get a new colour cartridge and start on one of the SEIRANs!!

MTF
Jim

GreMir 12-06-2011 05:11 AM

This will be interesting, and HUGE! :)

Fishcarver 12-06-2011 10:23 AM

...interesting, yes. Huge. probably. LONG in duration: DEFINITELY!! :):eek:

Jim

Fishcarver 12-20-2011 06:29 PM

Test-Building an Aichi SEIRAN

6 Attachment(s)
I decided to spend a chilly, soggy afternoon building up one of the SEIRAN aircraft.

As noted earlier, the parts have no glue tabs. I had to make paper tabs to accommodate the butt joints.

The wings, rudder and tailplanes went together without incident.

The fuselage is still a "work in progress".

I fear the floats........

MTF
Jim

treadhead1952 12-20-2011 08:28 PM

Hi Jim,

You picked out an interesting and very historic craft to work on this time around. A few years back a University of Hawaii expedition found it's remains on the bottom where the US Navy sank it rather than share it's secrets with the rest of the world's navies.

Dealing with it in the larger scale of 1/200 offers lots of excellent detailing possibilities. With all the weaponry that she sported on the top and other features it should be captivating once built. Looking forward to your efforts.

Fishcarver 12-20-2011 11:25 PM

:)Jay:
Let us pray......

"The rest of the world's navies...": Read: the Soviet Union:)

Fishcarver 12-22-2011 12:04 PM

Test-Building the Aichi SEIRAN Part 2

6 Attachment(s)
Surprisingly, the floats went together with surprising ease (!!!). The shape of the front of the floats leaves something to be desired.

I used a piece of brass wire as a spar to give the wings their proper dihedral of 5 degrees.

The prop spinner was WAY too big. :mad:I fabricated another one, using the tip of a wooden golf tee.......

Final assembly proved to be no problem.

I am having printer trouble (I am rapidly coming to hate DELL!!). Thus, the colour on this print is lousy, and this particular aircraft will not be used on the eventual 1:200 model.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, I HAVE SCANS OF THE 3-VIEW AND OTHER DRAWINGS OF THE SEIRAN FROM THE HIKOKI BOOK THAT I AM USING FOR REFERENCE! PM me here.

Merry Christmas from lovely "British California"

Jim

Fishcarver 12-23-2011 12:18 PM

The model itself is off to the printer, who will produce it for me on 17" x24" matte photo paper.

MTF
Jim