PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

View Poll Results: Should I build the Bismark or not?
Go for it! You'll be trying something new! 32 82.05%
Wait a little while. Practice more on aircraft and move up to ships and subs 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
As a long time paper modeler (two score and ten) I am still improving my skills. Assuming you have accomplished the basic skills such as, proper gluing, edge coloring and precise cutting. Then the only way to grow your skills is to tackle a project that you consider to be beyond your capability. Even if it does not turn out as well as you would like, you are improving you skills. The next time you build the model it will turn out better.

Jim Nunn
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I would like to echo what Jim said... as long as you have the basic skills, taking on something you consider to be beyond your ability can be a great way to nurture those skills and learn new ones along the way. Read lots of build threads, see what other people went through and look for tips and advice to help with your build, not just from ship models. ( eg: take a look at any of Leif's threads, you can learn a lot there).

Don't be afraid to take on stuff youthink is beyond you, I'm currently building models i never would have considered building a few years ago and I'm still learning new things nearly every time i log in to this site or sit down to build.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I think go for it, and take a look at all the zio model builds on here for pointers. My first ship was a zio ship the Zara for the zio contest. I had fun with it too and as people do mention i was getting better with everyone i tried.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 AM

I say do it! The more variety of models you build, the more your skills will increase, the way I see it. I downloaded the Scharnhorst by Zio the other day and look forward to building it. It looks like a very nice kit. It has a lot of parts, but nothing close to something like the Halinski Gambier Bay that I have in my pile. One can't allow oneself to be overwhelmed by parts count when contemplating a new build. If you really have an interest in the original and the history that goes with it, you'll have the fortitude to see it through. Sorry, I am rambling. It all boils down to having fun!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
Go ahead, full speed! The first model I started was the USS Arizona from Digital Navy. Turned out GREAT even though it took a long time to finish. Just go slow and follow directions (do as I say, NOT as I do!).
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Smile My first papermodel

I have always been fascinated by new things .Well , along that vein , on CHRISTMAS of 2004 a friend gave me a papermodel .It was the " CONTI BELGICA " by WILHELMSHAVEN . This containership had way more parts than your average plastic kit . I just took my time and while I was building , I practiced making all kinds of shapes .The ship came out so good I went to PMI and ordered the extra container set ! She now proudly graces the model railroad harbor that a friend from the yacht club had . I have another and the extra containers sooo- . I also have the KRONPRINZ under construction in plastic as well as paper . I build a little on the paper one after using the pieces as patterns for the plastic one .I finally got to the main deck on both . I wish I knew how to post pictures , I would let you see them .They are large (1/200 ! ) good luck and remember just take your time .If you get nervous or up-tight you will fail .So when you feel that way just get up and walk away and have a cuppa or a soda then come back to it . She,ll be done before you know it . papersurprise50