PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

View Poll Results: Should I build the Bismark or not?
Go for it! You'll be trying something new! 32 82.05%
Wait a little while. Practice more on aircraft and move up to ships and subs 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.39 MB
I don't know, should I?

Hello again, this time I'm approaching you with a poll question. On my last thread, I asked for help finding a Type XXIII U-Boat. Well, I've moved on from that to attempting to build Zio's Bismark. I must say it looks like a challenge to me, considering I've only been building paper models for about a year now. (That's not considering the years I made some other models when I was a child BTW) I want your opinion. Should I build the model or continue practicing with aircraft and move up to submarines and ships? I'll let you decide.

Spacemen1969
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello,
If you think you may want to build a ship, it may be wise to try something small as a test, before trying out a major project like Bismark. There are many free downloads on different sites that would serve you well.
Mike
Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
Yeah you could. But I'm adding the Bismark's Camouflage and bow and stern swastikas to mine. The only thing is I ran out of card stock but theirs more on the way. Thank Goodness.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 PM

I'm know how you feel JR. I need to replenish my cardstock supply too. Literally, just ran out. But, I do like your idea Michael. Think that's what I'll do.

Last edited by Spacemen1969; 12-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Go for it. Just because it's bigger does not mean that it is more difficult a build...a big model is just a series of builds of small models. A word of advice, tho...make sure you download all the pictures of the model, as Zio's build instructions are minimal.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
I agree, go ahead and start Bismark. But first review all the previous builds you can find for the manufacturer you have chosen because few if any of these models don't have a few flaws someplace and if someone has already found them for you you can plan ahead accordingly.

Good luck and please put your build on the site so we can all watch your progress.

Joe
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
Bismark

Hi Spaceman,

Be ready for a challenge. I build Digital Navy's Lilla Weneda (scale 1:100) starting about a year and a half ago. I thought it would be fairly quick build as there wer only 8 printed pages. Not so! Many small pieces! I just finished her in September. As long as you have a safe place to store the unfinished model, work when you can, take breaks (different models) and have a go. Small pieces do not intimidate me now that Lilla is finished.
I have a Maly Modelarz Bismark at 1:300 kit. With literally thousands of pieces it will take me a while to build (guess 2-3 yrs). It will be much less intimidating having done Lilla. I think Zio's Bismark is more like Lilla than the MM Bismark.
I would say go for it! Learn and have fun.

George
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Go for it! You'll be trying something new!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks for all the advice guy. Now the answer is clear to me. I'm gonna go for it! And I will put up pictures of the build on different thread. But, I can't start it right now. I gotta go and buy some more cardstock before I can begin. I'll keep you guys informed when I'm ready to start.

Spacemen1969
Old 12-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
For my two cents, I suggest you get a little more practice with paper models in general. I don't want you to get discouraged. Most ships have tons of little fiddly bits that become a pain to finish, especially in the bigger scales. I'd prefer you had some success before trying something challenging. In my book, the small scale of the Bismark makes it challenging.

I think that a lot of us began with Digital Navy's free Ambrose Lightship because it is a simple model, which makes up really well. Further, Roman Detnya explained a lot about the hobby and techniques to use in the process on his FAQ page.

It also helps when there are directions and the directions are in a language you can read. I did an SMS Emden from JSC a while ago, and lacking directions eventually gave up because some steps made no sense. JSC subsequently came out with a version with English directions and so I reordered the kit and am building it now. English directions really help.

But don't let me stop you. Just promise yourself that if you hit a really bad patch that you'll post here and I know you'll get some help.