PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Skylights and fitting out

Ahoy
update for now prabaly have another late this evening, As for gthe update I am fitting out the ship starting with the skylights. I added the black trim not included in the kit the black trim fits on the bottom of the uper surperstructure to the deck all cunard liners had this black trim. The skylights on the Mauretania are quite different then her near sister the late Lusitania. In overal perpendiculars they were akmost Identical but they very some what from ship to ship. The Mauretania had large cowl vents which made her very easy to identify compared to the Lusitania tahat had the old manhole cover type vents. On the next assembly of the fitting out will be the cowl vents i will be doing some adjustments and tuning up on the model as I procede with the build. At 1/400 scale on the kit makes it difficult to add more detail. Having the kit enlarged to 1/250 makes life much easier for me. A good kit anyone who wants or has this kit in their stash will find this kit easy to build and it builds fast. The big time saver of the kit it is designed as prefab hull assebly merly all boxed assembly with exterier skins glued to the hull box. I will post one more yupdate this evening here is the update build report.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0001.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0002.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0003.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0004.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0005.jpg  

Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0006.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0007.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0008.jpg  
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Fitting out

Ahoy

Here is the last update for the night been at this thing for 15 hours straight scince the build i have logged in 58 hours and still have tons of ships work ahead of me. As for the update I am fitting out thye vents and they stikll need a lttle adjustment here nad there lett6ing the units dry over night and before I get started i will do a little adjustments to get them squared away. Starting to look like the Mauretania now you can miss with those four huge funnels and the ventilators. HMmmmmmmmm gives me an Idea I might make a Lusitania in the same scale. The ventilators were very difficult to form at first I had second thought in makeing my own useing a vacuform machine I have a bunch of ventilators laying around I might take one of them and use it for the mold but trying to be a purist in cardmodels I just as well might leave them, the way they are. Here is the update for night.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0009.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0010.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0011.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0012.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0013.jpg  

Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0014.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Fitting out continued

Ahoy
Update fitting out still continued on this update I constructed and installed the ventilators on the starboard side have 12 more to go. after thye ventilators are installed i will go to the life boat davits and lifeboats. they will have mounting chocks installed to cradel the 16 lifeboats. I went back and spent 4 hours tuning up the ventilators on the last post with ventilators they were not glued on for this porpose. Made the dicession to keep the kits instead of vacuforming my own there will be enough scratch building on the kit as i procede with the build. Went down below to my boson locker to llok for some plans on the Mauretania to my surprise I have boith plans of the Lusitania and Mauretania on my next ship build it will be a scratch built replica of the Lusitania in 1/8th scale it will be well over 8ft long. Here is the update will have more this evening.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0001.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0002.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0003.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0004.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0005.jpg  

Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0006.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy
Update fitting out still continued on this update I constructed and installed the ventilators on the starboard side have 12 more to go. after thye ventilators are installed i will go to the life boat davits and lifeboats. they will have mounting chocks installed to cradel the 16 lifeboats. I went back and spent 4 hours tuning up the ventilators on the last post with ventilators they were not glued on for this porpose. Made the dicession to keep the kits instead of vacuforming my own there will be enough scratch building on the kit as i procede with the build. Went down below to my boson locker to llok for some plans on the Mauretania to my surprise I have boith plans of the Lusitania and Mauretania on my next ship build it will be a scratch built replica of the Lusitania in 1/8th scale it will be well over 8ft long. Here is the update will have more this evening.

Boats

ahoy please excuse the fourth picture I dropped the camera while snapping the picture, I am not satisfied with the kits ventilators they look a little bteer then from before I will make a plug and vacuform my own thanks heavens they are not glueed on the deck.

boats
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Fitting out continued

Ahoy
working off blueprints of the Mauretania these were a life saver, the kit cowl ventilators are to small, in 1925 the mauretania went through a refit by addi9ng nre boilers and smaller ventilators. The kit is corect up to the 16 lifeboats that later were changed to 22 after the sinking ofr Tianic thye english board of trade madse certain all transatlantic liners had enough lifeboats to save everyone on baoard. I scuttled the kits ventilators I wasn,t happy with them I threough them away and made my own as shown in the pictures below. time consumeing but its worth it On the blueprints showed Ventilaor covers so I added them. tomorrow I will start on the port side and finishe thye ventilaors as I done on the starboard side as of now doing a little touch up. Gettinjg a little tired but still good to go been at this for 15 hours I,ll work for another two more then knock off ships work. Here are the updates.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0007.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0008.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0009.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0010.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0011.jpg  

Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0012.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0013.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0014.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0015.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0016.jpg  

Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0017.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0018.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0019.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 PM

fitting out contunued

Ahoy
Lst update for the night last evening I made a seascape display board for the Mauretania. Made from foil glued down with sparay adhesive. One day this week i will airbrush blues and greens along with wakes from the hull . As of now befor i knoch off I am doing more tuning up with the hull and other parts.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0020.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0021.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0022.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0023.jpg  
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM

Fitting out

Ahoy
Update for now will have another later this evening. fitti9ng out is the ppan o0f the day and the week, I have tons of work to do on this. all ventilators have been rebuilt and glued down. Starting from the bow rolled tubeing for the bits capstains and fairleads have been installed. on port side i constructed the port running light and the 8 boat davits as I fit out the ship I will finish the port side first then to starboard and complete same. Looking like the Mauretania

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0001.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0002.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0003.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0004.jpg  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Fitting out

Ahoy

Last update for the day. Have no Idea why I am turning two on this thing I guess its a labor of love for me. getting new card models for Christmas is a blessing. As for the last update detailing up the forecastle added chains to the chain plates. I turned the foremast useing my lather useing 5 minute epoxie i glues same to the foredeck. I added thge bower anchor and the four combo dead eyes I madse from card stock, went ahead and started the guy wires on the funnel No. Tomorrow I will add the boats davits on the starboard side and running light and lastly the guy wires on the No. 1 funnel and proced aft.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0005.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0006.jpg   Rms mauretania 1/250-pict0007.jpg  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Wow that's cool Boats, nice to have you in the saddle, can't believe your rapid progress
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi there & Ahoy!

Amazing speed! And a nice model! Great work on the vents! Though I think the first ones were as good as the new ones!

Nice details on the deck and I am looking forward to seeing the seascape colored! It looks now already like the ocean with the moonshine mirroring on the surface of the water....

Rgds,
Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Google Adsense