PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Congratulations with your model so far ! Looks great !
By the way I'm looking for photographs of the scale 1/96 Arizona model from the Arizona Memorial Museum, does anybody has a website address for me where I could download pictures of it ?? Should be enough pictures on the net taken by tourist or enthousiasts.
Also searching for the scale 1:100 Digital Navy Model, any idea ??

John.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Found the scale 1:100 Digital Navy Arizona model on this forum !

John.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
The ship is beautiful, but I'm also admiring your Tacky glue bottle holder in the first photo!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The glue bottle holder is made out of some stiff wire and sugru. If you've never heard of sugru, check out www.sugru.com. This stuff is great - it's a silicone-based putty that air dries overnight and retains the "cushy" feel when cured.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Brief update - forward superstructure is almost complete. Just installed the tripod foremast, and the various bits heading up to the forward control top are next.

Question for those who have installed PE parts - from the Tom's Modelworks site, I see that there is railing and there are also stanchions. How exactly does that work? Obviously you need to attach the stanchions to the railing before you install the railing...or do you need the stanchions at all? Thanks in advance for any further help!
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0571.jpg   Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0574.jpg   Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0576.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Those big images show some very very sharp work.
Everything looks clean and straight.
You are turning out an impressive piece of work.
Sorry I have no advice for you regarding PE parts (I have no exerience with them).
Regards,
Mike
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Damn this is sooooo good ! Really clean and sharp, she will look the business when complete.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 AM

In honor of Memorial Day, a brief update on my USS Arizona project. I spent most of yesterday completing the foremast and associated items.

The gun platform just below the fore control top was tricky. Because of the angles of the mast supports, you can't just slide the platform down the mast and into place. I had to cut the platform in half, work the after half into position, slide the fore half down the mast, and finally splice them together. The splinter shield hides the seam from view, so it worked out OK.

I took the plunge and started trial-and-error work with photo etched railings...you might be able to see them here and there on the superstructure. If you so much as sneeze on them, they change shape! After I installed them on the model, I went over the work with tweezers to gently reshape the rails and remove distortions.

You really have to plan ahead when using PE railings. Before I installed the gun platform, I managed to install three 0.5-in bits of railing on the small triangular landing immediately below, and they looked really great. Then I discovered that doing so left me almost no maneuvering room when it was time to install the gun platform - it has a lot of bracing on the underside, so by the time I was done with the gun platform the railings on the landing were pretty well mangled! And it was around this time that I realized I should have been using the 3-rail version, not the 2-rail version...

At any rate, I hope this version of BB-39 serves as a fitting tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. I'll try to do it justice!
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0688.jpg   Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0682.jpg   Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0684.jpg   Digital Navy USS Arizona - 1:200 Build-img_0686.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I enjoyed reading your report about the gun platform just below the forward control top. The towers on this ship are a real challenge. Nice work.
Mike
Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Nice work MPL... Those PE railings can be difficult to work with when you're using them the first time. I recommend lots of patience, CA glue and trial-n-error to master them.

I've been watching your progress with great interest. This model is a great kit, and you're doing her superb justice.

If you need some help with reference on this build, go take a look at the 1/100 DN Arizona I did some time ago. The build thread starts mid-stream, but has lots of reference worthy stuff in it: Digital Navy USS Arizona 1/100

Best of luck!
Google Adsense