Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Here's a project!!

Cruiser MOGAMI

The Aircraft-carrier Cruiser MOGAMI

Jim
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.17 MB
I built the plastic 1/700 one and I posted it under other things we build, a while back.

This would be a great large project for the future.

Sam
SERE Instructor 89-95
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Oh yeah, I built that one as well in 1/700, we won't discuss the Photo Etched sets from railings to all the AA gun mounts, cranes, and myriad other fiddly bits that I saw fit to stuff on the styrene as well as all the photos and data I could find on that class of cruiser. They only recently came up with #117 which would have been helpful.

Just to show you that I am indeed a glutton for punishment, I had to purchase this from Mike at GreMir Models so I can further torture myself with this class someday in the near future.

IJN Suzuya

I can tell you that it is one glorious model with 59 pages of parts and in 1/200 scale will build into a shelf filling bit of excellence. I am practicing my skill set with smaller ships until I feel confident enough to tackle this beastie.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Eternal Member

Question

Jay: Why build in the geezly-small scale of 1:700? Fer gords sake.... There are other ways to go blind!!!

I would like to see this in 1:200!!

JR
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
How about 1:250? I have been working on the Mogami on and off for a while. (It's been so long since I've visited them that the electronic files have a layer of dust on them.) Here is a pic of the foredeck. If it ever gets finished, the model will be full hull, with option of building in treaty configuragion (6-inch guns and no hull bulges) or 1941 configuration (8-inch guns and hull bulges). I have some basic drawings of the final (kaiten-carrier) versions which would be fun to try doing, assuming I can ever get back in gear in the designing.

Here's a project!!-d1.jpg
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Hi Guys,

Jim, until I "discovered" paper modeling, 1/700 scale was my favorite modeling scale for ships because there are more ship models available in that scale than any other. Once I found paper modeling 1/200 has become my favorite by far. Admittedly 1/700 scale is pretty tiny but with modern photo etch, resin and other bits a decent looking representation of a ship can be presented.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Eternal Member

Cruiser MOGAMI

Jay: You obviously have not hit the "BIG SIX-ZERO" yet, have you?? Just wait...you'll see (if you still can...) LOL

Darwin: I'm glad to hear that you have been working on this on and off! 1:250 is OK: It can be enlarged at 125% for us aging fishcarving guys...

(Burning 60 K x 2mm scales on a 48" (120 cm) fish will tax the sanity, let alone the eyes....Now I'm paying the price!! )

Marco: Your 1:400 work on Akitsushima is stunning!!

HNY All from lovely British California!
Jim
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 PM

Gee Jim, the big 60 is coming up near the end of February for me. And I still build in 1/700 once in a while.

And I can still put 'em where I want 'em at 25 yards...

HNY back at ya' Buddy.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Eternal Member

Mr Treadhead:
You are high among the top 10 reasons that I love this forum!!
If you are 59 and can still model in 1:700 as well as you do, you will probably live forever!
Your infanteer bro
Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Fishcarver, the more I look at my old Mogami files, the more I think the project is worth reviving. I seem to have come up against a wall on my Colorado project, so maybe a diversion is needed. After a closer inspection, it appears that I was working with 1:200 scale rather than 1:250. The direction I was headed was to develop the model following the same sequence the 1:1 scale ship followed. Initial design is the treaty version, with subsequent revisions to produce the early WWII conversion to the heavy cruiser variant. When those are done and if the spirit is still willing, I intended adding the carrier deck to get to 1943 configuration, then finally converting that to the Kiten mothership variant. The starting point for the project was the old Watkins kit...which, so far as I've been able to determine, meets the present copyright requirements for being in the public domain. In any event, much of the design has been more reliant on other source material than the Watkins kit. I went ahead and ordered a set of the 1943 drawing files, now waiting for them to appear in my mailbox. (Prior experience tells me not to be holding my breath waiting for them, as the 48-hour response time quoted by the publisher is wildly optimistic.) When and if I make up my mind to continue the project, I will start my own thread for the project (which will be a long-term effort, even assuming I don't hit the 90% wall I'm struggling with on the Colorado). Now for the whining....I have an opening for the Kibbitzer-in-chief position on the project org chart. Unfortunately, the holder of that office passed on, leaving a definite hole in my life. Job description is chief rock-thrower, design idea sounding board, and butt-kicker for when designer interest flags. Beta-building is desirable, but not required. Any volunteers?