PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dto View Post
Deckape, I'm pleased to see your in-progress tribute to a particularly lovely ship. My mother once sailed on the Lurline in the 1950s, and she still fondly remembers her trip. Even though it took five days to steam from San Francisco to Honolulu, Matson ensured that passengers enjoyed Hawaiian hospitality as soon as they crossed the gangplank. It's part of the bygone romantic days of Hawaii tourism that modern travellers simply can't experience anymore. As Matson ads once proclaimed: "The Lurline IS Hawaii!"

For those more familiar with transatlantic liners, here's some background:
Cruise Line History - Cruising The Past - Cruise History

Glamour aboard the Lurline circa 1935:
The Painted Woman: 1930s Beauty & Glamour: A Cruise on the S.S. Lurline - 1935

Ahoy dto
thank you so much for the you tube presentation of the Luline I am very greatfull. I remember those old days those were the days when ocean passage was romantic and adventure all in one. with the event of prop and jet age people dont have the patience and pride of getting there they want to get there now. with air transportation it put the glorious days of sail to a close. A end of a era thank you very much for your reply and the you tube presentation i am very greatfull and its relaxing going back into time when life was simple and less stress.

boats
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 PM

Hull sheeting finished

Ahoy
Here is the update for today I been turning to on the hull all day got the sheeting skins finished. next i will construct the sub decking and prepare the hull for primeing. When i lay down the first coat of primer i will mark out and dsrill out the port holes and construct the gangway doors By this weekend I9 should have her primed and ready for the paint job. here are the updates for today.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0001.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0002.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0003.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0004.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0005.jpg  

S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0007.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0006.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0008.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0009.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Port holes and hause lips

Ahoy
Before I prime the hull I am prepareing the hause lips nad port hole which are many drawing straight guid lines and working off my plans i am laying out the port holes use a my dremel in low speed makes port hioles at ease then from tearing the cardstock. by this evening i will start the sub deck layouts. Here are the updates.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0010.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0011.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0012.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
WOW is really huge! Good luck with this challenging project

Marco
Currently Building: RN Zara 1:400
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Fantastic Boats. My grandfather said that travelling by train or ship was very pleasant, and that all that followed just led to haste and busier schedules...He travelled to the Amazon, and Vladavastok by ship and enjoyed it all..
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 151.02 MB
Boats? A Peavey Amp? And that giant case. Looks like it would hold a double-neck steel guitar. And the boat looks great as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Boats, she has some nice lines which you are capturing very well. Good camera work, too, shipmate (Earth-ship, that is...)

Just so I'm clear, this is a 1:96 scale model correct? Half-size my favorite scale!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1971 View Post
WOW is really huge! Good luck with this challenging project

Marco

Ahoy Marco
thank you very much for your reply on my Lurline, Yes sir she is huge I love them big I am greatfull I have a home that I haqve the room t6o build and house such big projects. She is coming along just fine better then I hoped. Thanks MarcoI( am honered.

Boats
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
Fantastic Boats. My grandfather said that travelling by train or ship was very pleasant, and that all that followed just led to haste and busier schedules...He travelled to the Amazon, and Vladavastok by ship and enjoyed it all..
Ahoy Glen
thank you for your reply on mny Grwat white floeet of San Fransisco.your Grandfather has great taste for travel and the bygone age of transportation. Back in that day a lot of people traveled either by boat or train of course. Air traqvel w2as in its elements after charles lindbergh prooved that airplanes can travel all around the world and created the hub for air travel in general.. By 1956 Pan Am and TWA were the successors of world travel and created a mess as we all know you cant stop progress, But those were the days steaming across the ocean to port of call. Like I memntioned on dto,s reply people dont have the patience of traveling by boat its all cruise ships nowdays. I was very fortunate joining the navy I sailed the world more times then people can count money. I got a great education seeing the world by boat. In 1954 My father who was stationed at Pear Harbor before it become a state, sent for his family we disembarked from Alemeda to Honolulu By flyingboat the Martin JRM Mars the Hawiaii Mars. We came back to the states in 1955 by ship it was the Lulines twins sister tyhe S.S. MARIPOSA we were greated at the peir with hula girst hawi8ian steel guitars a very romantic time of a bygone age. I f I had a wish that would come true I would love to go back to those days and relive my life as a young boy. Thanks very much for your reply on my Matson liner Lurline.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-ellinis-lurline-lge.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by creosotewind View Post
Boats? A Peavey Amp? And that giant case. Looks like it would hold a double-neck steel guitar. And the boat looks great as well.
Ahoy creosotewind
Thank you for your reply yesy you are absoloutley right its double kneck pedal steel A 1964 Sho Bud a Jimmy Day special. He was my mentor in playing the steel guitar, LOLllllllllll these kids nowdays dont even know what a steelguitar is. I had a young girsl between 18 to 20 years of age walked over to me and ask me what it was I told her is was a ironing board and she believed me. I been playing steel for more then 50 years. I played the yesterday for a post New years party for 300 people me and the boys put on a good show. Thanks very much for your replies.

boats