PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The photos of the Lurline during the war are probably pretty early. The "post war" look was actually done by the navy during the war sometime in late '43. I have a book on the changes somewhere; she looked a lot cleaner after the mods.
After the navy mods, my wife's father was a marine gun crew on the Lurline during the era of the "pineapple run" from Seattle to San Francisco and then to Honolulu and back. He had been wounded at Guadalcanal, and after recuperation was given what I call cushy and he called a boring job.
That is where he met his wife.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.02 MB
Lurline Plans

Hi Deckape,
I have always been a fan of the Lurline. My Dad was in the USAF stationed at Hickam AFB in 62-65. We were supposed to return to the mainland on the Lurline, but in 1965, they changed the procedures and we got to fly back on a Pan Am 707. We really wanted to get back on the Lurline. Any chance I can get a set of plans from you? I and my family always love the ship. I was a navy vet too. Entered USNA in 1965 right after Waipahu high school and I finished up as a Captain, Chief Engineer of the USS Enterprise.

George Bieda.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Cool S.s. Lurline

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy
This what she will look like when finished. Boats
Excuse me sir ;
I do insist that you call my former ship by her correctly spelled name .She was a Grand old Girl that always made me and a whole lot of others feel safe and comfortable .I still miss her and hope you will do her justice ! Commodore 4
Old 07-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up VERY GOOD - Carry On sailor!

I want you to know I spent some of the best time of my life in the crew of this great lady ! She was ,to Me, the epitome of what cruising should be .A safe ship, well built and able to deal with the Pacific as she did .
These so- called " Cruise ships " are travesties waiting to ruin the cruising way . Best example I can give is the COSTA CONCORDIA . A floating hotel with a centerline mall , climbing walls and all that stuff .
Hasn't anyone heard ? a Cruise is supposed to be a way to unwind , feel the sea breeze and just chill . A real cruiser appreciates the gentle movement of the hull through the sea and it lulls them to sleep .Not so on the "Pacific Princess" where stabilators make it feel like you never left land unless it's a real storm out there .
The LURLINE, MATSONIA , MONTEREY and MARIPOSA were the last of the " Real Ships " Thanks for your exquisite rendering of her in model form ! Carry On Sailor ! Commodore 4