PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale

Ahoy
After kicking the bulkhead and cursing myself I have eliminated the problem by not over stocking the shelves with books and makeing certain not to place anymore builds under the shelves lesson learned.

Ok thisw is going to be my next build here and i will be on this one for a while. I drew my own plans for this models in the scale of 1/'8th 7 feet long. The hull has been previously done useing hard cardboard and vanilia cardstock the hull will be veneered with hll plates made from cardstock, for the beginning of the construction i will have to sand down the hull and prepare for the hull plates useing canilia cardstock or anything simular

The model is the S.S. LURILINE from the Matson Navigation stermaship lines I am building her as she appeared in the 1930, and 40,s the great white fleet of that era.she has vowed many names durring her pasted 78 years and has gone through many refits her classic lines has been taken away from refits durring her service time. below is starter pictures of my Luriline.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0001.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0002.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0003.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy
After kicking the bulkhead and cursing myself I have eliminated the problem by not over stocking the shelves with books and makeing certain not to place anymore builds under the shelves lesson learned.

Ok thisw is going to be my next build here and i will be on this one for a while. I drew my own plans for this models in the scale of 1/'8th 7 feet long. The hull has been previously done useing hard cardboard and vanilia cardstock the hull will be veneered with hll plates made from cardstock, for the beginning of the construction i will have to sand down the hull and prepare for the hull plates useing canilia cardstock or anything simular

The model is the S.S. LURILINE from the Matson Navigation stermaship lines I am building her as she appeared in the 1930, and 40,s the great white fleet of that era.she has vowed many names durring her pasted 78 years and has gone through many refits her classic lines has been taken away from refits durring her service time. below is starter pictures of my Luriline.

Boats
Ahoy
This what she will look like when finished. Boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-ellinis-lurline-lge.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Sheeting the hull

Ahoy
Update for the day is the sheeting of the hull. Useing vanilia filke folder cardstock will do the job the main hill structure has been completed so I all there is to do for starters is to get the hull sheeted. after the hull gets sheeted then I will turn two on the decks. then the painting schedule will follow I have enough to do here. I took enventory of unfinished build like this one I have 8 ofr them that i will finishe this year I got to get them done. Here is the sheeting of the Luriline.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0004.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0005.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0006.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0007.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-ellinis-lurline-lge.jpg  

Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
This is going to be the build to follow. I love your builds, you are the master. Looking good so far, can't wait to see more.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Port side sheeting finished

Ahoy
Update on the LURLINE she is coimeing about now she will be pretty in all White with Buff, with red oxide waterline and green boot topping. As for now i have the the port side sheeted with card you will notice the belts on the hull this is the way of it on the real vessel Gibbs and Cox designed it this way to assure a strong hull. Next I will sheet the bottom of hull and add the bilge keels I already have one installed. The cardboard formers and keel are strong I used resin to assure strength which is needed.When I was a young punk in my boyhood days I use to see the Matsonia and the Luline passing under the Golden Gate bridge comeing back from Honolulu.The white hulls really stood out. Here some shots of the plans I drew of her and the update.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0014.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0015.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0016.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0017.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0018.jpg  

S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0019.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0021.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0020.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0022.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy
Update on the LURLINE she is coimeing about now she will be pretty in all White with Buff, with red oxide waterline and green boot topping. As for now i have the the port side sheeted with card you will notice the belts on the hull this is the way of it on the real vessel Gibbs and Cox designed it this way to assure a strong hull. Next I will sheet the bottom of hull and add the bilge keels I already have one installed. The cardboard formers and keel are strong I used resin to assure strength which is needed.When I was a young punk in my boyhood days I use to see the Matsonia and the Luline passing under the Golden Gate bridge comeing back from Honolulu.The white hulls really stood out. Here some shots of the plans I drew of her and the update.

Boats
Ahoy
Here is the update build
Attached Thumbnails
S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0006.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0007.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0008.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0009.jpg   S.S. LURILINE Scratch 1/8th scale-pict0010.jpg  

Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
She is a beautiful Ship Grandad, and in your most capable hands she will look just as she should do. Now then..... when you going to ship that nice Amplifier over to me "Peavy" nice..... me like ALOT
Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Deckape you are some builder! dang I don't know how you build so fast..you do sleep sometime don't you? Looking forward ....Rich
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Deckape, I'm pleased to see your in-progress tribute to a particularly lovely ship. My mother once sailed on the Lurline in the 1950s, and she still fondly remembers her trip. Even though it took five days to steam from San Francisco to Honolulu, Matson ensured that passengers enjoyed Hawaiian hospitality as soon as they crossed the gangplank. It's part of the bygone romantic days of Hawaii tourism that modern travellers simply can't experience anymore. As Matson ads once proclaimed: "The Lurline IS Hawaii!"

For those more familiar with transatlantic liners, here's some background:
Cruise Line History - Cruising The Past - Cruise History

Glamour aboard the Lurline circa 1935:
The Painted Woman: 1930s Beauty & Glamour: A Cruise on the S.S. Lurline - 1935
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
She is a beautiful Ship Grandad, and in your most capable hands she will look just as she should do. Now then..... when you going to ship that nice Amplifier over to me "Peavy" nice..... me like ALOT

Ahoy Grandson Peter
Thank you for your reply on my Matson liner Lurline. she is comeing together very well. A Beautifull ship indeed she is. The great white fleet of San Fransisco. for my Peavey I think i will keep it I had a band job today i played for a bunch of people at a post New Years party. thank you for your reply grandson I am honered.

Grandad Boats