PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazziga View Post
Jim, as far as the CS ironclads are concerned you should get the following book:
Amazon.com: Iron Afloat: The Story of the Confederate Armorclads (9780872496163): William N. Still: Books

It does not have many illustrations, but it's very good. If you want more drawings and even more information try to find Robert Holcombe's M.A. thesis "The Evolution of Confederate Ironclad Design" (via an interlibrary loan). So far it's the best work concerning the CS ironclads.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Kaz
Thank you, Kaz!

I have the Still book and am trying to find a copy of Holcome's work, but the later is a bit more difficult to come by...I have to go ask my librarian to get the work on loan.

Saw a list of ironclads over on the CSNavy.org site, compiled by Capt. William Harwar Parker, CSN, and he shows a total of 21 vessels:
MERRIMAC (why do they keep using that name rather than CSS VIRGINIA)
LOUISIANA
MANASSAS
ARKANSAS
PALMETTO STATE
CHICORA
RICHMOND
VIRGINIA (I presume II)
FREDERICKSBURG
ALBEMARLE
ATLANTA
TENNESSEE
SAVANNAH
COLUMBIA
CHARLESTON
NORTH CAROLINA
RALEIGH
GEORGIA
MILLEDGEVILLE
NEUSE
MISSISSIPPI

My plan is still to build a model of each of the ironclads listed at least for a start, by way of a nice comparison of the evolution of the CSN ironclad over the course of the conflict. Got a great start on this with Corey's cd.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Information on CSS ICS.

Jim,

Parker left out Huntsville and Tuscalloosa. Also in one of the Confederate threads is the bibliography for my manuscript. Apologies but I can't remember which one.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
The bibliography.

Jim, i have attached it here, rather than go searching!
Attached Files
File Type: doc CSN IRONCLAD INFO SOURCES .doc (20.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Two stacks or not two stacks that is the question.

[QUOTE=Kazziga;266401]Thongar, I am not convinced by Captain Peetz's story. It was written almost half a century after the Manassas had been built, while majority of the drawings that show her with two stacks were made shortly after her final battle (check the link below).
Skerret's drawing published in the ORN is well known and I guess it is the main reason for depicting the ship with one stack.

A good point. There is a point though that the Vietnam War was almost a half century ago and I have some good memories of it.

That being said The designer should know what he is talking about. You're correct about Skerret's drawing and most being inaccurate. The 68 pounder cannon is definately not what is sticking out of the gun port Not even a 32 pounder which another source says was the weapon, looks like that. as to the boiler layout I would say one should look to photos of contemporary tug boats and data indicates it was not a tow boat. why it would have one screw one engine and two boilers escapes me, but I will not argue the point. I believe though that for such a small vessel One stack should be sufficient.

Thongar
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Interesting thread, not my thing; but I love the whole research process. Its like dealing with a vintage race car--did it carry that set of louvers on the hood or not. Are you talking about when it rolled off the trailer, or after the practice shunt and the mechanics had to piece a new hood together and fix a cooling problem? Oh and was it the short course or long course configuration? FUN FUN!
Google Adsense