PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Last week there was a thread of someone who found a website with a few free boat models. One of them was a European cabin boat that looked very much like a large Maine lobster boat. It had a full hull and everything.

Does anybody remember what the site was? I recall it also had a model of a wedged-shape medieval barge and a few dutch sailboats.

Tin-soildier.net also sells a nice waterline model of a main lobster boat for their wargame mini's.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Used to build them....then we used to run them!!! Smelly....nasty job that doesnt end with winter so much!!! Cold as hell! There was nothing fun about it!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.61 MB
what do people use to design paper models?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Got some more work done on the lobster boat. I roughed out the pilot house based on the Diana plans. There's a lot of tweaking left to do, the windows are out of scale because Diana is a small boat, among other things. I've also started putting serious thought into how I'm going to show the internal structure of the boat. A not insignificant portion will be visible around the open stern and I'd like to make it as realistic as possible. I'm going to start picking some brains over at the Wooden Boat forum so that I can get it as close to accurate as possible. Even if I'm not modeling a particular boat, there are some fundamental rules of wooden boat design and construction that must be adhered to.
Attached Thumbnails
maine lobster boat-32-foot-lobster-boat-3.jpg   maine lobster boat-32-foot-lobster-boat-4.jpg  

[email protected]
Old 01-31-2012, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Avery, your design looks good, though perhaps the fore deck proportion is a bit long or the cabin roof is short(?). Ah, scratch that - it is a 'forced perspective' in your screen shots that is distorting it a bit. Must be a something with a "camera" view...

I just Googled a bunch of boat images and looked them over, in general they appear all to be very similar only differing a bit in details. The overhanging cabin/cockpit roof, the trap hoist and davit, washing table / baiting stand, all very close. That is part of the beauty of it - don't have to be too dogmatic with this subject. I've seen 'lefties, and 'righties', don't guess it matters much, heck may even be something that the operator can swap out if he/she wishes.

Throw a bunch of floats on the back with some traps and the boat's purpose becomes unmistakeable.

@ Patrick, there is a section in the forum that goes into various technical aspects of the design tools, methods, etc. you can check out. Some tools are free and some not so much; I've seen Rhino quoted a lot, but there are others than can do the job (some folks use Sketchup, for example, a Google app.) IT all takes practice though, I can attest!

@Mike, you were a lobsterman?
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
So if anyone is curious about a book on the subject, I just finished Trevor Corson's "Secret Life of Lobsters", and highly recommend it. It is based on his experiences living, working with some Maine Lobstermen and Women, and also the biologists who figure out how the lobsters do what they do. A gripping read.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Thanks, Robert, the foredeck probably looks a little long because it is. There's a good six inches missing from the front of the deckhouse because of mistake I made in the design process. But there is definitely the forced perspective issue as well.

Mike, that's really interesting! And the building part is very cool. That's something I want to do quite badly, badly enough that I'm pursuing boatbuilding as a career.

Rob, I'll have to check that out.

[email protected]
Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.61 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by APA-168 View Post
Got the hull done tonight. That was the easy part... Used the plans posted above, she is 32'x9' and will be a generic Jonesport lobster boat. Scale is TBD, maybe 1:32
what are you using for a program i downloaded sketch up and trying to learn how to use it. is there a way to put plans into it to work from ?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
We were full time firefighters in Dover, NH..lived in Somersworth. A fello firefighter had a sngl Lobsterboat that he ran a part time business with. I came up with a second lobsterboat that needed re-built/re-planked and re-motored. So than we had 2, but eventually wanted a third but didnt like what was being offered on the used boat market. So we built a smaller version of what we already had which worked pretty good. Suckerd a third firefighter into running it! LOL!!! There really is no part of the job thats fun...up extremely early regardless of weather. Out looking for our trap bouys, again, regardless of weather! Getting jumped by enforcement officers usually when your trying to get to market before any die, so they can measure the lot! Than finding out the price has come down because you werent first in and some have died in the well. I probably quit 100 times before someone else made my mind up for me instead! I have a RC lobsterboat now....thats as close as ill ever get again!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Off topic - or is it?

Mike, is the well a flooded well? If so, what are the lobsters dying from - stress?

Plus, is the well something that would be apparent on the model in some way (see, back on topic!)

Also a comment on your signature: my oldest (who is nineteen in a couple months) was tagged as having ADD - something that may go hand in hand with higher IQ's (he's quite smart.) His is known to go chasing a rabbit on occasion...literally!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Google Adsense