PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Don Boose's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,412
That's a beautiful image. It reminds me of a mildly cubist painting of a sloop passing the light on a headland that hangs in the cottage we rent at Cape May.

And the fine lines of the bow visible in this starboard bow 3/4 overhead view surprise me. Although I have seen three-views of lobster boats, I have never seen one from this angle.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Gil's Avatar
Gil Gil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Posts: 1,573
Fine Lines...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
That's a beautiful image. It reminds me of a mildly cubist painting of a sloop passing the light on a headland that hangs in the cottage we rent at Cape May.

And the fine lines of the bow visible in this starboard bow 3/4 overhead view surprise me. Although I have seen three-views of lobster boats, I have never seen one from this angle.

Don
Hi Don, She's a stable floater and can handle the oft high wave with the lifted prow. I'm going to try something different in the design of models hull. Have to see if will work first but I think it's worth a try.

Interest in this model isn't great enough to warrant a full up kit effort, so I'll just keep the design to the basics necessary for a "designer built model".

+Gil
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 63
Gil, I have been lurking and wondering. I for one am interested in building this boat. Visited Maine in November and spent a morning in Stonington photographing lobster boats in the rain.

Will this become a paper model? Your graphic work is "suitable for framing".

John
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Gil's Avatar
Gil Gil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Posts: 1,573
Making Progress...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyduchene View Post
Gil, I have been lurking and wondering. I for one am interested in building this boat. Visited Maine in November and spent a morning in Stonington photographing lobster boats in the rain.

Will this become a paper model? Your graphic work is "suitable for framing".

John
Hi John,

I have a bad habit of losing interest in project for a number of reasons. I've reached an interesting point with the Maine Lobster Boat which is now fairly complete as a surface model. I've now have to decide whether to make it more exact to scale [harder to build] or just make a simple paper model. I tend toward the more complex scale model and to try things that others would in their right mind never try. Usually the right minders win but the learning experience is often more than recompense.

I'm leaning toward a 1950's early 60's for the Fleur equipped with old style slat pots. The boat will be planked with a semi-viewable internal framework. The style hasn't changed all that much so the basic model can be modified to fit a wide period of application.

I'd like to see some of your lobster boat pictures if that's all right with you. The crabbers in the Bay Area use a totally different rig than those in the Maine fishery. Images on the web aren't all that great as compared to other modeling discipline walk-around so any taken by a modeler is manna from heaven.

I'm thinking about a self assembling frame/planked hull that might be a little tricky. Still figuring out a doable assembly sequence. Below shows the idea of a quad surface frame to plank geometry. Glad you like the artwork - I think it adds a certain panache to the project...,

Best, +Gil


Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 206
Make the boat and they will come. I would definitely purchase the model. Based on the current design the complex version would be outstanding.
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 63
Gil, I am happy to share some lobster boat photo's I am currently away from home and so it will be late in the week before I can send them. I am adding a link to Model Ship World, forums/build logs for kits.

Model Ship World :: View topic - NEW - Index of Build Logs For Kits - NEW

Here you will find build logs for two lobster boats. One from Midwest and one from Bluejacket. I thought you might find it interesting to see how the Bluejacket in particular goes together. I also thought as long as you are going for "more exact scale" you might consider a saysail. I saw them on a few "real boats" in the Penobscot Bay area.

Lastly what to do with the photos. Should I send to you via email?

Thanks for staying with this project.

More later in the week John
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Gil's Avatar
Gil Gil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Posts: 1,573
Discussion Topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lapinski View Post
Make the boat and they will come. I would definitely purchase the model. Based on the current design the complex version would be outstanding.
Thanks for the positive vote Tom. I'll try to live up to your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyduchene View Post
Gil, I am happy to share some lobster boat photo's I am currently away from home and so it will be late in the week before I can send them. I am adding a link to Model Ship World, forums/build logs for kits.

Model Ship World :: View topic - NEW - Index of Build Logs For Kits - NEW

Here you will find build logs for two lobster boats. One from Midwest and one from Bluejacket. I thought you might find it interesting to see how the Bluejacket in particular goes together. I also thought as long as you are going for "more exact scale" you might consider a saysail. I saw them on a few "real boats" in the Penobscot Bay area.

Lastly what to do with the photos. Should I send to you via email?

Thanks for staying with this project.

More later in the week John
No hurry John. I'm waiting for some further documentation to arrive in the mail. And thanks for the projects on Model Ship World especially the Blue Jacket version it's fairly close to the "Fleur".

How many photos do you have? I was thinking of posting them as part of this thread?...,

Best regards, +Gil
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 63
Gil, I have perhaps a half dozen, I would like to do some edits since they were shot in the context of harbor scenes. They are large files and can take significant cropping. Glad you liked the bluejackets build, I am currently working on their swampscott dory. Yet another "fishy" type.

John
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Gil's Avatar
Gil Gil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Posts: 1,573
Lobster Boat Photo Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyduchene View Post
Gil, I have perhaps a half dozen, I would like to do some edits since they were shot in the context of harbor scenes. They are large files and can take significant cropping. Glad you liked the bluejackets build, I am currently working on their swampscott dory. Yet another "fishy" type.

John
John,

No hurry. Post them at your leisure.

The Swampscott Dory has great New England lines. The interior wood structure makes for a great looking model.

Brings up a related subject. I've been thinking about showing model boats in simulated model water tanks so that objects modeled below the water line become as important as that above the line. Nothing concrete yet but some great mind's eye visualization going on...,

Best, +Gil
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 63
I have a few images attached that were on my laptop. These were shot in Rockland Me. in November. The images from Stoneington will follow on the weekend.

Regarding the idea of a ship in water look, I recently saw a nice model of the Glouchester schooner Benjamine Latham set in blue plexiglass. The glass was cut to the shape of the hull at the waterline and the seine boat was also inset and in tow. It was a nice affect.

So here are the photo's (if I did it correctly).
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2