PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 147.05 MB
I have a few images attached that were on my laptop. These were shot in Rockland Me. in November. The images from Stoneington will follow on the weekend.

Regarding the idea of a ship in water look, I recently saw a nice model of the Glouchester schooner Benjamine Latham set in blue plexiglass. The glass was cut to the shape of the hull at the waterline and the seine boat was also inset and in tow. It was a nice affect.

So here are the photo's (if I did it correctly). John
Attached Thumbnails
maine lobster boat-dsc_0153.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0155.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0160.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0184.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Beautiful Shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyduchene View Post
I have a few images attached that were on my laptop. These were shot in Rockland Me. in November. The images from Stoneington will follow on the weekend.

Regarding the idea of a ship in water look, I recently saw a nice model of the Glouchester schooner Benjamine Latham set in blue plexiglass. The glass was cut to the shape of the hull at the waterline and the seine boat was also inset and in tow. It was a nice affect.

So here are the photo's (if I did it correctly). John
Hi John,

Those are great shots! The first shot shows a boat with a boom over the deck. Looks like they're doing an engine change. I'll study them further for details - each boat has its own personality...,

Bien Cordialement, +Gil
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
So on the subject of lobster literature...
I just finished a novel called "Stern Men", about life in an offshore Maine lobstering village. Well written, and told from the viewpoint of a spunky young woman who wants to change things up a bit in the traditional approach to the lobster business. I liked it, though it does not have as much actual boat time in it as "The Secret Life of Lobsters". It is the first book written by Elizabeth Gilbert, who later came to some fame with "Eat, Pray, Love", which I understand does not have a single lobster in it. Cheers, Rob Tauxe
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Gil, Rob and anyone else following this thread. I promised Lobster boat photo's and so here goes. I have 9 in all to share, the first set of 6 are from Stonington Me. For your interest I learned that Maine is the largest producer of lobster, and that the town of Stonington is the largest producer in Maine. So this is at the hub of Lobster fishing.
Attached Thumbnails
maine lobster boat-dsc_0303.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0306.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0307.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0312.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0314.jpg  

Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM

Ok 3 photo's left, the first is also from Stonington and the last two from Belfast Me.

I hope these are useful both for information and for motivation. Thanks, John
Attached Thumbnails
maine lobster boat-dsc_0318.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0089a.jpg   maine lobster boat-dsc_0098.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM

I missed one, also from Belfast Me.
Attached Thumbnails
maine lobster boat-dsc_0100.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Beautiful shots, and interesting boats. Thanks for sharing them. I too would be interested in building the model, if it comes to that.

So last Saturday night we supped with a co-worker who recently moved south from Albany NY, and discovered that his wife is from Maine, and has all sorts of lobsterfolk in her family. We wound up talking about lobsters for hours. Here in Atlanta! Amazing how lobsters keep creeping into conversations these days.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyduchene View Post
Ok 3 photo's left, the first is also from Stonington and the last two from Belfast Me.

I hope these are useful both for information and for motivation. Thanks, John
"Nancy Ann", the blue boat in the photo on the left, has some really appealing lines. The hull seems fared rather nicely.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Greta thread!

Thanks,

The
DC
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Whatever happened to the original poster?
Google Adsense