PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Cockpit Roughed Out

Thanks Don. I think an interesting part of the design exercise is the discovery process. Strangely enough I believe I'd have no problem operating a lobster boat as it brings back a flood of nearly forgotten memories of days spent commercial fishing in craft somewhat larger than these "land huggers". It also reminded me of the reason why I decided that fishing is a dangerous business and motivated my obtaining a higher education.

Progress

Roughed out the cockpit.

After roughing out the cockpit it's fairly obvious that lobster boats are laid out for "one man band" operation. In this case a "right hander" - "left handers" are rare though examples do exist. Just a mirror image of the cockpit layout.

The winch still needs a little scaling and an additional steady arm needs to be added. Also moved the cabin door toward the centerboard as in the study plans.

+Gil

Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The drawing is a work of art in and of itself.

The coxswain appears to have been in close quarters with the exhaust pipe.

Don
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Just wonderful, Art in detail. move over H. Chapelle
Thanks so much,
MILES
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Burns & Art...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
The drawing is a work of art in and of itself.

The coxswain appears to have been in close quarters with the exhaust pipe.

Don
Hi Don,

The exhaust design has several different methods to avert being burned. One method employs the use of a lagging insulation wrapped around the exhaust in the immediate deck area - the second uses a screen surrounding the exhaust stack [diesel truck style]. I'm glad you like the art. The style is something that's developed over time. I found that doing full blown renderings with attention to material library detail detracted from getting the design job done - it takes an inordinate amount of preparation time to get things "setup" - then you just can't stop tweaking the thing in the pursuit of perfection [finger of God syndrome]...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Just wonderful, Art in detail. move over H. Chapelle
Thanks so much,
MILES
Hi Miles,

Working boats are always more interesting than leisure craft. I think Howard Chappelle knew this well and remains the hallowed dean of American sailing craft. Wonder what he would have done with the types of content creation we have available now?

I like to add a bit of "artful rendering" to the exhibition of progress. It does make for a more interesting log of the design process. Something I discovered about 3D CAD is that the external surface envelope is the defining geometry. All internals result from that reference. You have to get the external surface right or suffer the consequences. It may seem trifling but it has a large effect on the design process...,

+Gil
Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post

<<snipped>>
. Something I discovered about 3D CAD is that the external surface envelope is the defining geometry. All internals result from that reference. You have to get the external surface right or suffer the consequences. It may seem trifling but it has a large effect on the design process...,

+Gil
Well known effect when attempting to model SciFi movie subjects where the "innards" won't fit the 'skins' (such as the original Jupiter 2...Millinium Falcon, etc.)
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM

Launch of the "Fleur de Mare"

Welcome to the launch of the "Fleur de Mare" or "Sea Flower" out of Isle de Haute, Maine. The name is fictional but is based on fact.

A little more work completes this night...,

+Gil

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Gil, your considerable skills as an artist and modeler are quite evident in these last two drawings...I am quite taken by the beautiful lines of this boat, one of the most aesthetically pleasing as I have ever seen in a vessel.

Thank you so very much for sharing your design of this boat with us, it is a real pleasure to see your work.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM

two-to-three D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
Gil, your considerable skills as an artist and modeler are quite evident in these last two drawings...I am quite taken by the beautiful lines of this boat, one of the most aesthetically pleasing as I have ever seen in a vessel.

Thank you so very much for sharing your design of this boat with us, it is a real pleasure to see your work.

Cheers!
Jim
Hi Jim,

The lines of "just another plain old lobster boat" did not, at first, catch my eye all that much. It wasn't till a quick trial hull that the utility of the design caught my imagination as I think it has yours. That's the beauty of this type of exposition - to delve into and reveal the dimensional utility of a design. 2D drawings can convey some of this but its full impact can only be fully developed by a 3D representation. The ability to contrast the 2D drawing against the 3D realization is very appealing to me. The use of ghosting allows revealing the internal structure adding to the interest and some mystery of what lies behind the external surface threshold. Guess it's called illustration...,

Best regards, +Gil
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
To us, it's a model of a lovely boat designed with heart and care,

To lobsters, it's a tool of eminent destruction that brings death and despair.

But, it's a great looking craft, and I think that... hey, why is everyone looking gloomy all of a sudden?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 AM

Almost...,

Various items added toward completion. Waiting for some additional information to arrive regarding marine diesels.

+Gil

Google Adsense