PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks great! Very impressive model. How long did you say it was? Looks longer than 17 inches.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S. View Post
Looks great! Very impressive model. How long did you say it was? Looks longer than 17 inches.

Ahoy
I just measured it again after reading your reply its 17,and a quarter inch,s long 31/2 inch,s wide at the beam.

boats
Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
looks great boats. The big 5 are my all time favorite battlewagons. I grew up with and served at the same time but not on the New Jersey she was re re commisioned and blasted a segment of Vietnam off the country. But as big and sleek as she was I still liked the stubby lines and cage masts of the battleship row bunch. That is great info on the color schemes. Alot of the steel navy site and other ship modeling sites are still debating the colors.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Your build of this extremely fine Ship is beautiful Skipper.... you did her full justice.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for your response. I got confused by the 1/32 scale (?) and the 17 inches you mentioned earlier. I thought it was a much larger model. It is smaller than the photos make it appear. Excellent, excellent work!
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRTED View Post
looks great boats. The big 5 are my all time favorite battlewagons. I grew up with and served at the same time but not on the New Jersey she was re re commisioned and blasted a segment of Vietnam off the country. But as big and sleek as she was I still liked the stubby lines and cage masts of the battleship row bunch. That is great info on the color schemes. Alot of the steel navy site and other ship modeling sites are still debating the colors.
Ahoy Comander Sir
thank you for your reply on my old Battleship Maryland I remember back in 1967 when they brought her out of mothballs, I was on board the old U.S.S. GUADALUPE AO-32 we just pulled in San Pedro for side cleaning. I saw her moored in front of the queen Mary in long Beach she is a massive beast with the long low free board the Iowa class battleships had showed the great naval might and power of out old navy.I( checked out the Steel Navy the debate still carries on about the Arizona. I squared the fellas away so there will be peace in both debates about the paint meaure I learned the hard way as I explained to them. My late father was a Battleship sailor at pearl he was on the OKLAHOMA his rate was aviation machinist mate second class. He worked on OS-2U,s Kingfishers In 1958 I was ion the Navy for 1 year I joined in 1957 I was 17 year old and wanted to get all the education in the world through the navy. I bought the first release of the Revell U.s.s. Arizona and saved for a 30 day leave build when i came home for leave. My dad came over to the house and caught me turning to on the old Arizona he interupped me on the double and said what are you doing. I replied back I am painting the hull, He said I can see that its the wrong color you dummy. Well the kit says light gray he replied back yes in the 1920,s and 30,s it was spit and polish But at pearl they were painted 5d Dark gray with pale gray upper surfaces. My dad told me the Arizona was painted measure 5d up to October of 1941 durring manuevers as we pulled in at pearl a yard tug pushed the Nevada in to the Arizona as they moore at the mooring quays. she had to go to drydock for repairs and refitting. When she came out of drydock in in november her color measure was 5s dark seablue. the Arizona was the only Battleship at Pearl that wore the new paint measure. I got the straight dope from my dad on this. Thanks sir for your reply on my old Maryland.

Boats
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Nice work. Good to see these one of these battlewagons done so well.

C.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
My wallet tells me I shouldn't ask ...but what other BBs are there in their Pearl Harbor configuration? I know of Arizona and Oklahoma. Any others? There's a California, but it looks to be the late-war fit.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack who hasn't built a ship since the last century)
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
Nice work. Good to see these one of these battlewagons done so well.

C.
Ahoy golden Bear
thank you Carl for your wonderfull reply on my Battlewagon Maryland. It was a hair puller fror awhile, but but patience is the answer. Thanks very kindly Carl.

Boats
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
My wallet tells me I shouldn't ask ...but what other BBs are there in their Pearl Harbor configuration? I know of Arizona and Oklahoma. Any others? There's a California, but it looks to be the late-war fit.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack who hasn't built a ship since the last century)

Ahoy umtutsut
thank you for your reply on my Maryland. The Battleships at Pearl Batleship row, here are the following.

U.S.S. NEVADA
U.S.S. ARIZONA
U.S.S.WEST VIRGINIA
U.S.S. TENNESSEE
U.S.S. OKLAHOMA
U.S.S. MARYLAND
U.S.S. CALIFORNIA
U.S.S PENNSYLVANIA

These were the battleships that were at Pearl The Pensylvania was in drydock. the Arizona and oklahoma were the only battleships that were totaly destroyed, the rest were retro fitted with new secondary weapons and conversion. The color schedule on my Maryland is 5d the corect color in Febuary of 1940 all Battleships were painted 5d dark gray with pale gray upper surfaces from the funnel line on up to the foretop. By December of 1941 they were to be paqinted 5s Dark seablue with pale gray upper surfaces funnel line on up to the foretop.The Arizona was the first of the battleline to recieve the new 5s color schedul the navy was getting rid of grays and start useing blues. but by thye end of 1942 5s was deleted and they went to measure 32d, ther seablue would fade out to almost a blue white with salt air and exposier to the sun it faded out the blues so by 1943 32d was used up to the end of the war.

Boats