PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
The break at the foc's'l ended up bang-on.
This picture also shows the port holes well. After I opened them up, I put some super glue on the end of a skewer and pressed from the inside face outward. This gave the port hole a small, stiff lip that resembled the port hole frame.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Zuiderkruis-19.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM

The 'B' deck was applied next. This deck has a lot of little vertical supports to it around the perimeter. I just used ordinary pins for this with the head removed. They were exactly the right diameter and had good stiffness. A little bonus I reaped by having put those balsa stiffeners along the length of the hull was that many of the pins pressed straight into the balsa thereby making these immediately solid, though every pin did receive super glue to set it into position anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Zuiderkruis-20.jpg   SS Zuiderkruis-21.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Somehow I missed this merchant ship thread, Bluenoser.

The work so far is excellent, the ship is beautiful, and you have shared a lot of useful techniques.

Don
Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Nice and accurate build. I did this ship too, last year, and it was a joy to build, as all JSC models are. However, I do not really like this construction method of theirs, with a central triangular "spar". it makes for a somewhat floppy model. Stuffing it with a balsa beam is a good idea, must keep that in mind.
Good work about cutting out the long scupper (is that what you call such a split to let out overwash or splashing seas, is that the word?) on the main deck, I didn't think of it. It gives a very good detail.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up Hardy Well Done

Ahoy Bluenoser
wonderfull build thus far some day I would love to take a crack at that ship but with thye Lurline and the Queen Elizebeth 1 underway this will prabaly be my next future build, Very good indeed cant waite to see the finish product.

Boats
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanks Guys.

Scon, did you use the transparent white railings supplied with the model or the paper ones? I would love to see a few pictures of your finished model.

I am not a big fan of the centre spar method either. It is OK on smaller models, but for this one it is probably a little too big to get the sturdy model as is without the additional balsa stiffeners.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
No, I used railing made of cotton thread, wound around a template, then painted white, which will fix the threads and stiffen it. I think I described it on some thread I opened in the past. Perhaps you can still find it on this forum with a search.
I like your idea of opening the the lower bulwork on the main deck, as you can see, it is closed in my model, and that is defintely less attractive.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Zuiderkruis-geheel.jpg   SS Zuiderkruis-detail.jpg   SS Zuiderkruis-voordek.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
[QUOTE=scon10;270746]No, I used railing made of cotton thread, wound around a template, then painted white, which will fix the threads and stiffen it. QUOTE]

Readers of this thread may like to know that there is a laser cut detail set for this model. See my site www.zeistbouwplaten.nl >Merchant shipping.
The Scaldis series (yes indeed, designed by Bartosz Czolczynski of JSC) contains many more Dutch passenger vessels with an American / Canadian connection: Axeldijk / Salatiga / Zuiderkruis / Groote Beer / Johan van Oldenbarneveldt / Oranje / Rotterdam (V) / Willem Ruys. Detail sets are available for most of them.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Scon, your model looks fabulous. Super job on those rails.

Diderick, thanks for identifing the detail set. I will have to check this out. Do tou know if that cimes with railings too.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Diderick, thanks for identifing the detail set. I will have to check this out. Do tou know if that cimes with railings too.
Yes, definitely - and a lot of other tiny parts.
Google Adsense