PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250

Hello Friends,

I have always been a fan of HMV Models HMV - Hamburger Modellbaubogen Verlag | Facebook I find the quality of the paper, printing and associated lasercuts to be top notch.

The Reefer SLOMAN ALSTERTOR Deutsche Handelsmarine is one of their latest offerings. The model itself has quite a contentious history. First designed by Dr. Henning Budelmann of Passat-Verlag Passat-Verlag - Khlschiff PEKARI as the PEKARI (one of several vessels of this class produced by Howalt Deutsch Werft).

While the model was exceptionally well received (indeed all of Passat Verlags models are somewhat collectors items as they do one issue of 500 serialized kits for each model) but had the reputation of being very difficult to build due to the unique hull.

Together, Dr. Budelmann and Mr. Peter Brandt (Of Wilehelmshaven, Jade Mowe and HMV fame) slightly redesigned the model and released it in its current state.

The SLOMAN ALTERTOR and her sister the SLOMAN ALSTERPARK were the last two vessels of this type produced and were the end product of nearly 100 years of specialization. Shortly after the start of their careers, Containerization became the industry standard.

During the course of my research, I found an interesting account by a crew member who served on her during her 1969/70 world cruise. I intend to show the SLOMAN ALSTERTOR transiting the Panama Canal.

Kind Regards,

Cris
Attached Thumbnails
SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-5ec9cd0e-de3a-4fbc-b684-be2fb2513ba4-a45670.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-272307.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-1036iw6.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful ship!

Don
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes, I agree, beautiful ship from one of my favorite mfg's............wished I could find a local source for these kit w/all the goodies here in the USA.
Rick
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Hello Friends,

Indeed these reefers were beautiful ships and at the time some of the fastest merchant vessels due to their perishable cargo's.

@Rick: Having known Benjamin and Ulrike (the owners of HMV) for several years now, I smile to think of them referred to as manufacturers. But your right about sourcing the models. I bought many dozens of models from HMV and other Eastern European publishers before I began spending large blocks of time over here and the post is expensive. Please PM me if you like because something with US based HMV models is in the works. Also, using the Facebook link above you can message and even chat with them.

I neglected to mention that the model is comprised of 1645 parts with a completed length of 56cm or 22.5 inches.

The additional lasercut set has about 65 parts printed on colored medium and heavy cardstock.

Offhand I am guessing around 300 parts for the Canal base.

So the decking is complete. The last picture shows the hull plating prior to being cut out.

Kind Regards,

Cris
Attached Thumbnails
SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5342.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5346.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5347.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5351.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5353.jpg  

SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5355.jpg  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Great hull and a nice clean build style, speaks volumes of your skills.
Rick

PS: Oh yea, I would surely be interested in a source in the USA.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 AM

Hello Friends,

Some progress on the hull. The most nerve wracking part of the entire model lies just ahead...

In the second picture even though its very hard to tell, I use thin foam sold in stationary stores, large discounters or craft stores in the Scrapbooking section to assist in forming the hull sections. This technique also works well with small cylinders.

@Rick: Thanks for your kind words but I think I am a bit of a hack

Kind Regards,

Cris
Attached Thumbnails
SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5367.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5369.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5370.jpg   SLOMAN ALSTERTOR / HMV-Scratch /1:250-dscf5371.jpg  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Torque View Post
Hello Friends,

Some progress on the hull. The most nerve wracking part of the entire model lies just ahead...

In the second picture even though its very hard to tell, I use thin foam sold in stationary stores, large discounters or craft stores in the Scrapbooking section to assist in forming the hull sections. This technique also works well with small cylinders.

@Rick: Thanks for your kind words but I think I am a bit of a hack

Kind Regards,

Cris
Cris, you sell yourself short, you sir and from what I see are not a hack..........the foam used to solid up the hull is a sign of what I think is going to be a most excellent build of this vessel.
RICK