PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
Nautilus Submarine Disney Style

After building plastic and wood ship models for many years I decided to try my hand at paper modeling. This model of the Nautilus as depicted in Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" is my first attempt at paper and I added a lot of additional detail from parts that I cobbled from many places. Enjoyed building this so much that I ordered Taschen Titanic, Halinski Scharnhorst and many others. Now I just have to find time to build them.
Attached Thumbnails
Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-013.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-023.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-018.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Great opening post. Your Nautilus looks awesome!!

Welcome aboard.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Superbe ! This Nautilus is really great !
Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM

More on Nautilus

For those who are interested, here is a little more info. The hatches were made from wood buttons with hinges made of paper and dowel pieces. The conning tower windows were made from dolls eyes bought in a craft store - cut out the back remove the "eye" and you are left with a nice clear dome shape (you can buy a bag of various sizes for a couple of bucks). The large side viewing windows were the most challenging. I finally got some inspiration when I bought some lightbulbs for the house in a blister pack. The shape was close but too small, so off I went to Home Depot to look at things in blister packs when, lo and behold, I found the perfect size and shape in a toilet bowl flapper valve (amazing the sources for modeling materials). Another interesting item is the spiral speed log. This I made from a piece of spiral macoroni. The original macoroni had two spirals so I cut one spiral off with a dremel tool. The prop shroud was made from PVC pipe. Other deck hardware came from kit pieces that I had lying around.

If you look through the windows you can see Captain Nemo and the interior of the grand salon. These came from ensmallments that I made from movie stills and glued them behind the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-017.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-002.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-027.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-014.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-003.jpg  

Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-004.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-026.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-029.jpg   Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-030.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 189.81 MB
Truly an inspirational build for those of us seeking motivation to get back into this hobby... or any hobby for that matter. The subject and the skill of this builder leaves me thinking.. " awww... i want to build one just like this.. "..

I actualy have been trying with freebies as my skill has become quite a bit rusty... and the recent news that yes, my eyes have began to change at 47... means ill be getting reading glasses at the local drug store. I was having a terrible time making any kind of models or anything detailed.. it all looked so bad.. Everything eneded up on the floor.. or lost..frustration took over so i quit.. And because of this inspirational build, i may be buying them today.. like in an hour or so.!

Truly a masterpiece! Thank you for adding to the growing motivation, you guys and girls here are simply amazing. One of my favorite sites on the web.

Gregg
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I like the pictures of Nemo and sailor as it gives a sense of scale. The hatches and spiral log look great.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quite a project ......... congratulations!
The story of the Nautilus resonates with so many maritime modelers. It excited my imagination as a kid when I first saw the movie. May I ask: What is the length of the model? Looking forward to more of your work.
Mike

p.s. one can even see Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the conning tower window.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Nautilus

The model is 36 inches long and was made from 120lb cardstock. After coating with clear matte finish it seems very sturdy and shows no signs of warping even in the humid climate we have here in Florida.

I must say that I really enjoy reading the info in this forum and have learned a lot from all those who have posted their experiences here.

Also I would like to thank you all for the kind words. They provide much need encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails
Nautilus Submarine Disney Style-034.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM

You can see on my workbench (previous post) that there are several projects in various stages of completion. There is Nautilus, a Spanish galleon, and the hull of a revenue cutter.

Edges of the paper was colored with marker pens. Additional rivets were put on parts that I added with black markers. The finished model was coated with four coats of Testors satin finish clear coat (clear parts were masked during the final coats.

I'm working on a display stand for it. Found four nice nautilus shells at a shell store and was thinking of supporting the model between the four of them on a display base board.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice build, RG. Though I haven't tried myself, I've seen a few build of the Jonathan Leslie's Nautilus over the years and this is about the best I've seen. The rakers and pretty much everything else came out very nicely. I particularly like the way you did the hatches. Your interior details are nice touch. And, hey, you never know when you'll need a new toilet flapper.

Wade