PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Ss californian

Ahoy
Just got back from the hobby shop and lowes for more building material so i can get my Lurline going getting behind schedule but working on her for a coupole good days I be right on schedule.

While waiteing for today to happen last night I was toying around with another project that wont take long to build. This is the smallest build and model that I own IO figure it will be fun. This is a waterline model in the scale of 1/1200 6 inch,s long I found a piece of 1x wood and found a drawing by some model company I have never heard of before and thought this will be a challenge. This is the Leyland Liner SS CALIFORNIA the ship of shame This verssel could have saved ewveryone on the ill fated Titanic if the Captain Lord would have hopped out of his rack and get on deck to see the distress rockets and his Marconi opperator was still on duty. Another blunder of the sinking of the Titanic. But the sleepy Stanly lord paid for it the rest ofr his life trying to explain his side of the story. The SS CALIFORNIAN was torpedoed in 1915 durring the outbreak of the first world war. This model wont take long to build so I will try something different. I will build this fromm wood and paper the hull is hand carved useing center lines and looking at pictures the hull is right on the other parts will be made from paper and cardstock.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Ss californian-cal2601.jpg   Ss californian-pict0012.jpg   Ss californian-pict0013.jpg   Ss californian-pict0014.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
This may just give me inspiration to try it myself. I have a lot of basic plans like this for merchantmen.

Lookin great so far.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Were you there ? You actually saw the flares from the deck of the Califonian that night ? If the answer is no, you might want to add a disclaimer to your statements, as the British were notorious for trying to assign blame to those not basking in the glow of their favour, like Stanley Lord, in order to indemnify those with deep pockets, like J. Bruce Ismay.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGodWhy View Post
Were you there ? You actually saw the flares from the deck of the Califonian that night ? If the answer is no, you might want to add a disclaimer to your statements, as the British were notorious for trying to assign blame to those not basking in the glow of their favour, like Stanley Lord, in order to indemnify those with deep pockets, like J. Bruce Ismay.

Ahoy
No sir I wasn,t if I was I would be over a 100 years young just going by the way history dictates it.

Boats
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Ahoy!
A controversial ship then, and just in time for the 100-year aniversary of RMS Titanic's sinking. And there are plenty of RMS Titanic model builds already.
Are there any (paper) models of RMS Carpathia out there?
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Ahoy!
A controversial ship then, and just in time for the 100-year aniversary of RMS Titanic's sinking. And there are plenty of RMS Titanic model builds already.
Are there any (paper) models of RMS Carpathia out there?

Ahoy Marco
thank ysou Marco your builds are top quality and museume pieces. so far there isn,t any After I finish this Californian I might get started on the Carpathia. I seen some models of the Carpathia they are taylored made by shipwrights and for musumes only. thanks Marco.

boats
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Hull and deck and fitting out

Ahoy
This is going to be a fast build I should have her done in a day. 1/1200 waterline scale model dont take that much to build. a lot of detail that is incorporated in larger scales like what you fellas build and myself isnt present in this tiny scale. you have to be a brain surgeon to do this there is a limit. but in overal perspective they are admired and effective to the vessel it represents.

for today I primed and sanded down the hull and gave it three more coats of red oxide primer let dry. when dry i took the hull and traced out the decks useing vanilia card stock same stuff I used on my Lurline. gave it a coat of krylon clear. all of the parts of the fitting out are made from card stock after the parts were installed i done some painting which was not that much i painted the boiler caseing and skylights blue gray. on the well deck the forward and stern and after house at the bottom were painted buff. The hatch,s were painted at the base black and the hatch covers were painted blue. The four mast were painted buff these were made from cocktail toothpicks cut to size and sanded and painted buff. The breakwater at the bow is paper strip tapored at the ends. tomorrow i make the 6 lifeboats from I will make from laminated cardstock cut to shape and install same and the davits will be made from wire.Should have her done tomorrow.

boats
Attached Thumbnails
Ss californian-pict0001.jpg   Ss californian-pict0002.jpg   Ss californian-pict0003.jpg   Ss californian-pict0004.jpg   Ss californian-pict0005.jpg  

Ss californian-pict0006.jpg   Ss californian-pict0007.jpg   Ss californian-pict0008.jpg   Ss californian-pict0009.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Nice job Boats!

I will be following this with interest.
Do you know if these ships are available in paper as well?

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry V View Post
Nice job Boats!

I will be following this with interest.
Do you know if these ships are available in paper as well?

Jerry

Ahoy Jerry
Thanks my man for your reply this is the smallest build I have ever done anymore of these builds I will be blind as a bat. Shoul have her done this evening not much to these 1/1200 scales alot cant be added detail wise unless your a brain surgeon with small hands. I guess there is a limit to anything. as to paper models of this vessel and in that era I havent seen any published not to my knowledge. you are on your own when it comes to these old relics of a bygone age of sail. Thanks Jerry Stay tuned.

Boats
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM

almost completed

Ahoy
Here is the update fopr now he last update coming up later this evening the model will be done. Not that much you can do in these small table top scales detail wise. The overal appeal is more effective then going nuts on the detail. I have over a thousand 1/1200 scales I have acumilated in thye years of my life I will dig them out on the last update this evening. As to the build its almost done all is left is the sea diorama dispaly and the rigging which is sparse. I got to get my Lurline going these 1/200 builds dont take long one could have one finished in 2 to 3 days. I sent away for a puiblication by John Bowen Minature Merchant Ships in scale of 1/200 a lot of plans are in this puiblication great for us paper modlers. thyey can be scaled up to what ever scale you chose..

The cargo booms are from floral wire painted buff all skylights and hatchs are from card the superstructures are from cardstock. The deck laminated with vanila cardstock. The 6 boats are made from car4dstock laminated and sanded to shape. the vents are from wire and plastic sprue sanded to shape. the hull is airbrushed flat black the boot topping is masked off and painted red.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Ss californian-pict0016.jpg   Ss californian-pict0017.jpg   Ss californian-pict0018.jpg   Ss californian-pict0019.jpg   Ss californian-pict0020.jpg