PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice computer renderings of Colossus. Ships before the Royal Sovereign class look ugly to me, but I have been growing accustomed to their looks. Colossus, in my eyes, not too bad. Looks like you are fortunate to have some decent references. I would not have believed that there would be much out there in the way of plans and photos.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Greg, there really isn't that much. I have only the barest clues of what is hidden behind the bulwarks fore and aft... no 6" gun mounts is an example. I will fill it in with speculative pieces by comparison with ships of the same era.

Don, you asked about Mutsuki, and this is how she stands as of this morning. I think I'll work on her for awhile today. Remember that it is a 1:250 build of a 1:200 model. Cute though.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
H.M.S. Colossus, 1879-pa110020.jpg  
Old 10-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Eternal Member

Hi carl

Mitsuki looks a superb build as usual.

Good answer Maurice.

Silly question really in those days I think the RN thought they could beat anybody so who cares if you are being followed.

Carl you can also factor in a fine gleaming paintwork no such thing as a poor captain in those days landed gentry or forget it. Admiralty paintwork I doubt it, the captain would provide his own paint if he wanted to. My Dad joined as seaman at 14 (swore blind he was 16) shipped on a cruiser spent a lot of time painting it with enamel paint, lifebelts glossy black with gold lettering and the brasswork gleamed. All changed in WW1 though.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I love the Mutsuki, Carl! And I always enjoy Barry's tales of his Dad's Navy experiences.

And I very much enjoy the discussions that develop in your threads. The ventilator thing is interesting and I will try to see if I can find the other mystery you mention. As closely as I examine the images and the photos of the models, I always miss something in the welter of splendid detail.

These ships changed in so many ways -- major and minor and sometimes subtle -- over time that you can go crazy trying to match a historical appearance. Jim (JimR) recently made some comments to that effect concerning David's efforts to replicate a Battle class destroyer of a particular time and place. If Jim doesn't weigh in with them himself, I will track down the message and provide the quotation.

More later,

Don
Old 10-11-2008, 09:50 PM

The mystery with the funnels is apparent in every photograph I have seen.

Here's the update of the Mutsuki with today's work.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
H.M.S. Colossus, 1879-pa110001a.jpg   H.M.S. Colossus, 1879-pa110002a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 PM

Outstanding bridgework, Carl!

I'll keep looking.

Don
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM

The Mutsuki's coming along quite nicely. I've got her in my build pile, but for the moment I'll just enjoy following your build...
Old 10-12-2008, 06:16 AM

OK, end of mystery revealed below. The ventilators don't actually reach down to the main deck like they were supposed to! And yes, they were supposed to. The plan I have is shows the sub deck details including the passages for these two. I have found no mention of why but have this theory:

These ships were originally intended to have the same guns as Ajax/Agamemnon, 12" MLs but were upgraded to BLs during building. The MLs are a much shorter gun - for apparently obvious reason - than the BLs. With the BLs installed the ventilators would have interferred with the traverse of the guns from one side of the ship to the other. While modeling the center structure I became suspicious that that had also been altered for the same reason.

And, Jim, while I play around with my miniature Mutsuki I think that somebody should build the actual 1:200 kit. It is a nice little model (just watch out for the anchor fittings BEFORE you mount the hull sides) with nice detail touches. For instance the fixed binoculars on the bridge.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
H.M.S. Colossus, 1879-0-short-funnels.jpg  
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM

Amazing! I wonder why they kept the ventilators at all if they don't actually ventilate below deck spaces?

Don
Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 AM

I've been puzzling that one and just can't think of a reason. They last on BOTH ships until the very end!!! The best I can think of is that they did help with stirring air around on the main deck or that they were too much of a pain to bother removing and weren't at all in the way.

Carl
Google Adsense