PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class

CSN has issued a press release stating they will begin the first of a new class of gun boats, the Morgan Class, at Oven Bluff. Work has already begun and progress is sure. Numerous local folk are finding jobs at the shipyards. Security is tight, so have ID. The yards are protected by the strength of the Navy, Brookes Rifles. This all adds up to a positive attitude here in Alabama's coast.

Okay, I took some liberty there, but I have begun work on one of CT's latest creations, The Oven Bluff Morgan Class gunboat. This is only the third ship/boat I've built so if you find "issues" with the build, they are likely my fault.

The framework was straight forward. I think there should be one more former behind the one all the way in the back (Part #11) just to make it easier to roll the sides of the ship around to the stern. Otherwise, thus far this has been a great build. I look forward to testing my skills on Corey's new designs for his guns. They are much more detailed and should be a great addition to any of his CSN 1/250 ships.

I should mention that this model comes on 10 pages printed. There is 1 page of information on the gunboat, 4 pages of diagrams and instructions, 4 pages of parts and 1 page listing all of Corey's fleet.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1471-copy-640x480-.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1479-640x480-.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1485-640x480-.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1501-640x480-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to see you have a model underway, Jeff!

I liked the introductory information. Found this, with a brief mention and two photos of Oven Bluff: shipyards\shipyards

Looks like another excellent Corey design and very clean, crisp, and precise work on your part.

I look forward to future developments.

Don
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM

Interesting to note, Don, that there are some items still in existance, namely the Brookes Rifles. Oven Bluff looks a bit different now vs. the 1860s I'm sure.

Thanks for the link.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-brooke-s26-gainesville.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-brooke-s96-front.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-brooke-s96-rear.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-oven-bluff-shipyard-close.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Jeff,
Your intro was fun. Looks like some very precise work you have going on one of Corey's designs. That one page listing all of his fleet must be quite lengthy by now.
Also, it is a treat to see the images of the actual antique guns.
Mike
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Latest from Oven Bluff Shipyards.

More work has been done on the Morgan class of gunboats in the shipyards. Though officials are hesitant to go into detail this reporter was able to obtain photos of the warship under construction.

The upper decks are are showing near completion as are the paddle wheel housings. We can only assume the boilers and steam engines are already inside and were placed there during the evenings to prevent Northern spies from seeing her power.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1502-640x480-.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1503-640x480-.jpg   Oven Bluff Shipyards begin work on Morgan Class-dscn1506-640x480-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 PM

I forgot to mention that one nice thing about CT's design on these paddlewheel housings is that they interlock with the upper deck and maindeck. Very nice. It is important to ensure that the paddlewheel housing base is aligned properly when attaching it to the side of the hull (makes things cleaner and easier).

As you can see from the first photo they are one piece. The rolled piece might be a bit long. Easy remedy. I trimmed the very top (as it will be hiddend under the top structure and then attached it from both ends. It came out and was a nice fit.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work, Jeff!

Don
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cool. Er, where can I get one of these models? I can't see it on the Ecardmodels site?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
It is not out yet. Jeff is doing the test build. I have had this done for months but I have never had a test build. It is still what you might call a 2nd draft form! As soon as Jeff confirms the parts and I fix some minor details it will be up!
CT
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Great looking model CT. Great work Jeff. Looking forward to adding this to my CT fleet.
Joe
Google Adsense