PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Cool stuff, Wilfried, brightens the hull markedly, like a new penny, I bought from Bluejacket Shipcrafters. I'm using 1/4 inch but overlap with plates aft with each, and can since is metal foil also smooth out a bit with thumbnail or something. They have castings of lots of sail ship details, too, it you like that sort, their deadeyes are cast, though
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM

The copperers have finally completed the starboard side, I have cut the gunports and trial deck on..having some challenge with the waterways, but will work on them until can put up the bulwark stantions and eventually the cap rail (belaying points inner will have to be figured out yet)
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1396.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1395.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1397.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Glen,
The "copperers" have done a fine job.
That really makes it stand out.
Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks Mike it is a slow process as each plate is 5/8th inches long, but looks better if you don't inspect it too close...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 AM

With Chris showing his progress on his HMS Fly, thought an update on the Ann McKim might be needed, so here is where she is with some work in progress, the coppering went fine and although time consuming is enjoyable as the appearance change so noticable to the hull. am redoing the deck now on it's third layer which is not glued down yet or the waterway along the edge, looking forward very much to adding the bulwark stantions but spending time defining the gunports and lining them.
One note about working with the copper tape, it does discolor and some oxidation occurrs while applying it from oils on the fingers, moisture, ect, I gently cleaned the finished copper to remove this, used a bit of lemon juice and paper towel, then applied coats of clear acrylic to no longer oxidize or stain unevenly, with time it will become the color of an old penny, but this will take a couple years
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1494.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1490.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1491.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1492.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1493.jpg  

Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Beautiful, Glen!

As you say, the time and effort required to apply the copper plates is clearly well worth it seeing how this came out! Nicely done!!

The patina of the copper would, over time, and left uncoated, become that greenish color the Statute of Liberty has, which is the natural oxidized color of copper, of course (as you know). I have heard many stories of treatments used by modelers to advance the patina effort, some of which are quite interesting, the point being the copper plating becomes a focal point, if you will, of the hull when finished. I think you have made a wonderful investment in time to apply the copper plates, and you will enjoy seeing how it possibly changes over time from exposure to the atmosphere, although I wonder how that might be given the acrylic coating you applied...might stay shiny for quite some time, actually.

In any event, she is BEAUTIFUL!!

Well done!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Ahoy there Jim, and thank you, you know the coppering is not as expensive or difficult to not be done more often, Bellona would be awesome this way as one of the earliest ships to receive copper and such a nice kit available from ShipYard....I am following the example of the Newsboy model by Peter J, same tape and similar method as I could duplicate...several sources say the oxidation will occurr normally under the lacquer or protective coating, but I don't mind if it doesn't..I have a copper weathervane that is on the roof and we didn't want it to oxidize, and covered it with acrylic laquer 15 years ago and it hasn't turned green at all, but not even very dark brown either. The problem I ran into is that it looked to me that fingerprints would show more over time which I really didn't want. I handle the hull all the time...I decided on 6 ports a side even though 4 are shown in Chapelle and the model at the Addison museum shows 12 guns, I think from articles describing her that 10 guns more often carried, I think the forward ports on lots of vessels were not armed and used as "loading ports"

some artistic license in this model of course, but that some description are available in the old references is helpful and not sure I would have pushed on with only the drawing in Chapelle to go by, it is helpful to know that the owner "spared no expense" in her construction to explain some of the frills on her that are not typical for a merchant vessel (actual guns,ect.). Most interesting is the use of trysail masts rather than staysails on each mast...really a fun project from a sail history perspective...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Another note -- any major oxidation of copper plating would occur in areas exposed to air, namely around the waterline. The bottom should remain relatively corrosion-free, so don't overdo the weathering.

David T. Okamura
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Glen,
What a brilliant shimmer on that hull.
It really is impressive.
Mike
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM

David- yes that was the impression I was getting from the model discussions at modelshipworld, as was attempting to duplicate the hull of Newsboy, the builder did not feel that aging the plates is advantageous for that model, but it depends completely on the look one is shooting for.
Mike-thanks, it is fun to do, not that there aren't enough things to do of course.. Being such large complicated vessels, ships limit for detail just depends on how far one wishes to go in including things.
Once the deck is on the work will be less overall hull building and can start to think about the details. The bow being the most challenge as it has to be mostly my interpretation...