PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Watching & learning... - L.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
A coat or to of Renaissance wax rubbed over the copper will help to stop it oxidising and should cut down on fingerprints after it's been applied. Renaissance wax is a microcrystalline wax used by museums and Conservators, and can be used on wood and metal. We use it at work on clock dials and metal cases after they had been lacquered as extra protection from being scratched.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
This DOES look nice! Since I am too lazy to go back to the start (I humble myself for my laziness... abase, abase) is this paper? And I don't care... no arrows here. I just like the look of the thing and wonder about the path that brought you here.

I laughed to myself when I read your comment about how a ship's limit for details depends upon the eagerness of the artist (paraphrase). It seems that there is a sort of natural boundary where you say "that is enough" depending on what your intention is with the model and how many hours you already have in it. I'm trying to say that if it is a lifetime work, then you will just keep adding and adding and maybe even rebuilding! But if you see more projects you can sort of assess the level of detail that the scale reasonably asks for and then move on.

As I said. Really nice. Looking forward to seeing it grow.

Carl
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Leif, thank you kindly any project is a learning process for me, to learn the history, ect, and the challenge of this one is entertaining, it helps to go slow so as not to make any major errors
romanmodels thanks for that tip, the copper is so thin that protction will be needed, at least now it won't end up an uneven bunch of fingerprints I hope
Carl, your kind comments appreciated...I don't think I'd try a ship without building a kit one first, and ShipYard's level of detail is almost enough..there seems to be such a large following for wood ships (this one has no wooden parts yet) that it seems there is already a level of detail "expected", hardly fair though since the wood ships are usually considerably larger scale..1/64 or 1/48. I cut formers out of thick card though, very thick stuff around 3+ mm, it was called "backing board" at the art store. The hull is "chip board" bent around to the edges of the formers, ca glue to strengthen, planked with paper.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Some progress on the head of this ship over the weekend, although have been debating with myself for weeks on how to do this part, with Chapelle's books I think the progression of the head shape from the Bellona type upward rounded shape and headtimbers and headrails to the straight ones displayed on later clippers. Only really in Chapelle's early book "American Sailing Ships" my copy being 1935 can you really see this progression on American vessels. Later ships omit much of this completely, but the change occurred gradually for the most part, and this is how the detail of the bow was considered, around the time of the "Hamilton" Revenue Cutter, but not quite so "naval" as the military vessels (the Royal Navy) never did modernize to the point of a Clipper, mostly because the entire ship was obsolete as a fighting vessel by then. Anyway the attempt is to represent the time of this ship's construction...and settled on straight headrails and timbers, but some curve to the beak and using the full figurehead that I had already carved. The pictures may be magnified too much as to show other imperfections (darn that fault finding lens...) but looks pretty good in actual size, and of course so much detail to be added yet. Am not planning to glue on the fgurehead at this time to allow other things to be worked on, hawse holes, multiple eyebolts for bowsprit and jib stays, ect ect
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1522.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1524.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1526.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Glen,
Your historical descriptions are a nice read. The bow decoration is good craftsmanship. That's a great summertime combination.
Mike
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work on the figurehead. I enjoyed your mini-essay on the evolution of the heads of American sailing ships. There is a wealth of information in this thread.

Don
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Thank you for the kind replies my friends. I read through what I wrote and said "huh?" so glad it made some sense for a too brief explanation, which seemed alot for the small change on the model. It is important for the look of her, though, so wanted some semblance of possibility, that she might actually have looked a bit like this
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good looking figerhead Birder

Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
One of the most difficult things is to undertake maritime forensics for a vessel in which scant accurate information is readily available. Even with my beloved USF Constitution, trying to get information on her various evolutions starting from when she was first launched until her current configuration, it is very difficult. I suspect the same can be said of early clipper ships and other merchant vessels. If you are lucky, you find a set of contemporary plans that address the various details we modelers wrestle with during our design and builds; otherwise, you are left searching available records, making some sound deductions and coming to a conclusion that you feel somewhat comfortable with, even though you might have a nagging feeling of not being sure; then again, being sure is a luxury modelers of older vessels don't have. Even Chapelle needed to make some "assumptions" and "reconstructions" in making his drawings during his study of the various vessels which grace the pages of his numerous books.

I think you have taken quite a scholarly approach to this subject, and feel it is safe to say your final conclusions are sound and well stated.

For what it's worth, I came across the below painting, which you may, in fact, already have, which is said to be of this ship. Whether it helps, hurts or has no effect I entirely leave in your capable hands, but I thought if you had not seen it you might find it of some interest, if not help.

As always, your updates are a wonderfully refreshing distraction from my day to day work troubles and I love to see whatever you have done...keep at it, mate!!

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-ori_333-34264-1008883-john-w-schmidt-painting-clipper-ship-ann-mckim-picture1.jpg  
Google Adsense