PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch

I've been thinking of trying this vessel for some time. There are many attractive features of this merchant ship from 1832 design. The plans are in Chappelle's "Search for Speed under Sail" indeed the design of this ship was revolutionary and ahead of it's time, even though was 20 years before the true Clipper ship era. She was small, though, and even though fast could not carry enough cargo to make a huge impact on the use of the slower Packet ships. Since other developments later led to the larger, just as fast cargo carriers of size such as the well known designs of Isaac Webb and Donald Mckay, that the Ann was relagated to being classified as a large Baltimore clipper type which had been already in existance for quite a long time as small fast sailers for local use. No matter, it was a beautiful ship no doubt and famous for her speed during her years of use. My plan is to scale the plans from Chappelle accepted as
accurate by Chapelle how can I argue? I have found two models that seem accurate for the time and will refer to them for some reference material...hopefully this will actually come about..
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Interesting subject choice Glen. For what I learned about this ship it was the 'F1' of ships of that era, desingned and built sparing no expences or extra effor to make her 'The Ship' of her times. Will be interesting to see how you build it.

BR Tappi
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Glen,
The backround and history you provide, along with the craftsmanship you use to bring the sails back to life is always a pleasure. Looking forward to it.
Mike
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello Glen,

it's always amazing and surprisingly, what you get out of your hat.. I never heard from a ship like this .. ok., I'm a little bit out of the US coast ...

with lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Thank you gentlemen for your interest and kind comments, the real benefit of trying a scratch build is the opportunity to study and learn about something that time may have largely forgotten, of course there are multitudes of sailing vessels in this category, but this one was outstanding in some respects and is a really cool ship, too I may be getting ahead of myself though, as I'm not even totally convinced how to do parts of the hull, much less some of the fittings...if anyone lives near the Addison museum and has taken a few pictures of the model there I would greatly appreciate the info?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Here's where I'm actually at with the ship, the formers are very thick card backing board, cut out with a small band saw, no glue yet as the deck needs to be located if possible with accuracy on these formers. And hopefully with a bit of camber or convexity to the deck if I can manage it..
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1335.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
That looks good Glen. The hull seems to have the curving appearance of the older sailing vessels.
One can see the thickness of those frame pieces.
Mike
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I know I heard of that ship before! I have a Baltimore clipper based off the Ann mcKim that is still in drydock awaiting repairs before I stick her in a Chambourg bottle. It's my first square-rigged ship. Up to know I've only fabricated two- and three-masted schooners. Looking forward to your build.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Thank you Glen,

now I have an imagination; and I can say, a very solid framework you can lean on ... planking should be a pleasure ...

with lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Thank you Mike they do have as sleek a shape as possible being without mechanical propulsion....which lends to pretty shaped hulls..
rmks2000 do you have any pictures of your model? was it a scratch build or a kit?
Wilfried here's a couple more, have tied together the formers where fragile to form the bulwarks although will have to be remodeled significantly later.
Attached Thumbnails
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1338.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1336.jpg   Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch-img_1337.jpg