PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Progress (Sort of)

Finally a few pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. I printed the deck on the wrong thickness of card stock, so the support structure shows too much (speaking of the "rib-bone" effect). Hopefully that won't show as much when the rest of the hatches are in place. I could continue building at this point, but want to fix the design flaws I've uncovered so far first.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Edmund Fitzgerald-frame-1.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-frame-2.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-deck-1.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-deck-2.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-bow-1.jpg  

Old 07-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
I don't want something similar to happen with my Fitz, which is why i'm doing different designs for the different scales. Hopefully, the 700th will be detailed enough to scale up well to 1/600th (Hi, Jim!), and the 1/250th will have enough structure to go higher, for crazy people who want it bigger, and have large format printers. the 1/350 version will probably be just a one-off for myself, unless there's a demand for it.

Hopefully this post made sense.

Scott K.
Hey, Scott!

What scale is the model in your last post? That looks like a VERY solid hull construction, and makes a very nice ship hull.

I've been unable to tackle any modeling lately (long story) but continue to enjoy seeing others projects with the hope that at some point I will have a bit of time to build a few models. I appreciate the updates in the meantime, and enjoy very much seeing your design work.

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Hi Jim, This is the 1/250 version. I'm trying to make it "simple" to build, but still easy to keep a nice flat bottom, without having to use the "pin it to a plank" method. It seems to be working, so far.

Now if my cats would just leave me alone while I'm working on it...

Scott K.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM

A screenshot of the latest version of the hull bottom plate and keel. The 2 parts at lower right are a typical bulkhead and the fold-up brace that goes between the the bulkheads (one of 4 between each).

You can see the break lines in each piece to make the sections fit on one sheet. The keel and bulkheads are only 2x thick because of the fold and tabs, vs my usual 3x, but it seems to be enough.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Edmund Fitzgerald-fitzcad.jpg