PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
SS Edmund Fitzgerald

An old project ressurected, the Great Lakes freighter Edmund Fitzgerald. I see from looking at my old thread on Zealot that I haven't posted any progress pictures in almost 5 years. Really? How did that much time get away from me? Actually I know how, but I've whined enough about that in another thread.

The first pictures are of my old white tesbuilds in 1/350th scale, plus a colored 1/700th model. The version I'm working on presently is 1/250th. Pix of the beginning of the build to follow. The last picture is the recolored blue version I did at my daughter's request. She really liked a blue ship that went by when we were staying at a motel along the St. Lawrence river, and asked me to make one for her (and I actually built the red one while we were there). Unfortunately, my hard drive died before I could print it. I recently resurrected that drive, and printed a copy. Despite being 5 years later, she was still interested. She likes the model very much, and it now sails on shelf in her bedroom.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Edmund Fitzgerald-white-20fitz-201.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-white-20fitz-202.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-fitz-20stern.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-fitz-20bow.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-fitz-20group.jpg  

SS Edmund Fitzgerald-ck-1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Very nice, thanks for sharing! Those are your own designs? Nice work. I've always been intrigued by the story of the Edmund Fitzgerald, admittedly only after having heard and really liked the song. Do you have any plans to release the design as a kit?
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Thanks, cMags. I do plan to release a kit version eventually, assuming the project doesn't die of "over-complicated-itus" again. I think I've got the basci design well in hand. It just needs some missing fine details added, and some additional reinforcing and formers for the substructure. Then of course, there's the dreaded instructions.

Scott K.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 PM

First off, "ressurected"? Should be "resurrected". I really wish we could edit longer than 30 minutes!

Here's a couple of pictures of some of the parts of the 1/250th model. Nothing is glued yet besides the bow halves and doubled formers. I need to add more bulkheads, and I want to make a side strake halfway up them. Sorry for the washed-out pictures, I really need to work on my photo skills.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Edmund Fitzgerald-fitzparts-1.jpg   SS Edmund Fitzgerald-fitzparts-2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Awesome. Personally I'd be more interested in the 1:700 scale model as you have it built. Maybe two kits? A small scale simpler version, and a large scale more detailed version?
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
"Superior, it's said, never gives up her dead, when the gales of Novemeber come early."
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.64 MB
Looks real good.
As I grew up in Superior WI (The E.F. left from there) I am very interested in the lakes boats. My stepfather started as a wiper/stoker and retired as a Chief Engineer on the Lakes.
I'd buy anything more detailed than the JSC version no matter the scale although the 1:250 with a full hull would be great.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking Great Art Sometimes Takes Time to Execute!! ;-)

Glad you went back to this project!!

Funny thing: I just watched "Draining the Great Lakes" on Nat Geo/Discovery, where Eddie Fitz was featured!

And, of course, you need to go here: Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald Gordon Lightfoot - YouTube assuming Chris sez its OK!

I look forward to your progress!
Jim
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Great! Got mine going again too love the work on yours!
Chris
Old 05-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I would have had a photo update, but ran into some problems.

I know many think that it's simple to scale a model up or down, to build at whatever size you wish. That's so for some models, but not all. I've actually been designing this one in several scales at once. 1/700. 1/350, and 1/250. The original 2 seemed easy, half and twice size. But some parts that work on one, just don't on the other. The problems were compounded when I scaled up to 1/250. That version includes deck camber, which changed many parts. Scaling the finished version of that down would result in a very fiddly and overcomplicated build. I attempted to scale up and modify the 1/700 keel and frames for the 250th version, as they were farther along. They're also probably way overcomplicated for the 700th version anyway, so I'll definitely be simplifying that one. Anyway, to make a long story short, the test build of the frames and keel didn't work. Buidling errors, plus material sizes, added up to the keel being almost an inch longer than it needs to be. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to scrap the keel, or just modify it to fit as it is. Not a good test if I do that, but there's already a lot of time and ink invested in it, and I'm short of both.

On a somewhat related note, I have a partially completed FG Gigant I was working on. It illustrates the point I was trying to make about scaling up and down. Mine was printed 2 sheets to one page, and is still huge. It's wing has several errors and alignment problems, which were caused by the many "extra" joints it had from being more pieces than it needed to be at the reduced scale (as well as my own fumble fingers). To do a better reduced build, the parts would need to be edited together on the sheets before building. Way too much work for me, I'll just make do with it as is.

I don't want something similar to happen with my Fitz, which is why i'm doing different designs for the different scales. Hopefully, the 700th will be detailed enough to scale up well to 1/600th (Hi, Jim!), and the 1/250th will have enough structure to go higher, for crazy people who want it bigger, and have large format printers. the 1/350 version will probably be just a one-off for myself, unless there's a demand for it.

Hopefully this post made sense.

Scott K.
Google Adsense