PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cMags View Post
The pages looked glossy though, I will likely scan and re-print, and seal in a matte finish. Old wooden ships and their sails are not glossy.
That may be a good idea, since scanning provides "insurance" in case of lost parts or mistakes. You can also match colors and textures where a reverse side is visible.

Furthermore, Dover's thick glossy stock is difficult to work with. Regular paper glue acts more like a lubricant than as an adhesive on that slick surface, and rolling tubes (such as the masts) to the proper thinness is a pain. The sails and flags would also work best reprinted on thinner paper stock.

I wish you the best on this project. A. G. Smith did a wonderful design job on his Mayflower and Santa Maria.

David T. Okamura
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Thanks for chiming in David! I agree 100% with everything you said here. Plus I like to keep the books in my collection as books, so you can see a before and after - kit and built model. I'll have to look at the scale to see if its a standard scale or if I should resize it to something standard when I get it (hopefully Friday). I know I'll have some page re-arranging at least because the pages are 9x12-ish, so it won't be a direct copy and print onto letter cardstock.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
The model scale is 1/8" = 1'-0"
The model is of the reconstruction in Massachucetts (Mayflower II)
page size 9 1/4" x 12 1/4" so might need to copy to larger paper or in pieces.
paper is about 0.008" thick and is glossy. I believe there are laminates for the exposed surfaces so only need to color edges.
Plimoth Plantation, Inc. of Plymouth, Massachusetts has a four sheet set of plans for sale prepared by William Baker the Naval Architect that designed the reconstruction, they are also 1/8" scale and well worth getting if you desire to add details.

George
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM
cModerator

Thanks George, for the info. That would make this ship 1:96 scale, a common sailing vessel scale.

I ordered and received the kit, and just posted a review here: Cut & Assemble the "Mayflower" - A. G. Smith

Build thread to follow in a couple months...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 854.80 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
Mayflower build @ 2009 IPMC

I missed these the first time around, but I knew I'd seen a full color model somewhere. This one was built by Jim McNally and displayed at the 2009 paper model convention.

regards,

Jeff C
Attached Thumbnails
Cut & Assemble the "Mayflower" - A. G. Smith-jimmcnally-mayflower-2009-1.jpg   Cut & Assemble the "Mayflower" - A. G. Smith-jimmcnally-mayflower-2009-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
cModerator

Hey that's not too bad, however I can already see that there is the potential for rippling on the hull. ("whale-boning" is it called?)

Since I'm already planning to scan and print my own, I'm thinking I might double the skin, and separate the graphical planks into individual planks to get a better look and hopefully smooth out any ripples. I think I'll also try out a canvas textured paper from paperandmore.com for the sails.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
cModerator

Scanned and ready for edits

Well, as discussed in the review thread, I went to Office Max and for $4, got the pages all scanned in, nice and big (600dpi). Now I can play around with it and print it out on cardstock of my own choosing.

Here are my plans so far:
  • Pull the color out of the framework - no need to waste ink. Might even print these pages on the laser printer
  • Re-arrange parts to fit on Letter pages
  • Print backup duplicates of small/difficult parts
  • Separate the sails to print on canvas textured paper I have ordered from Paperandmore.com
  • Flags on thinner paper
  • Edit hex shaped holes for masts to round
  • Copy additional surface details for layering
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cMags View Post
Well, as discussed in the review thread, I went to Office Max and for $4, got the pages all scanned in, nice and big (600dpi). Now I can play around with it and print it out on cardstock of my own choosing.

Here are my plans so far:
  • Pull the color out of the framework - no need to waste ink. Might even print these pages on the laser printer
  • Re-arrange parts to fit on Letter pages
  • Print backup duplicates of small/difficult parts
  • Separate the sails to print on canvas textured paper I have ordered from Paperandmore.com
  • Flags on thinner paper
  • Edit hex shaped holes for masts to round
  • Copy additional surface details for layering
Great to see you have this all going in the right direction - and the plan you have for her sounds great
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
What a wonder plan; this will be a fabulous project, and I can't wait to see how she comes out!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You can use freezer paper and white cotton cloth to print on to make the sails. You cut a piece of the cloth a little bigger than size of paper your printer can handle, place the good side of the cloth down on the ironing board, iron a piece of the freezer paper onto the back of the cloth making sure you have the plastic side of the freezer paper down onto the back of the cloth so you are ironing on the paper side, trim the resulting fusion to the correct size to fit through your printer, then feed it through the printer so it gets printed on the cloth side.

Here is an Instructables on how to do it.
Inkjet Printing on Fabric
Google Adsense