PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
English Canal Narrow Boat

I decided the other day to start a model of an English canal narrow boat, being inspired by the Scalescenes kit.

As per usual, I decided that a big model was out and after some thought settled for a scale of 1/160.

My rationale here was that it would be small enough to incorporate into a decent diorama at some stage, but large enough to build without too much strain or drama.

An important plus was also the fact that 1/160 is continental N Gauge, which means I could get some figures later if I wanted (thinking of one of the Prieser sets).

So, after appropriate reduction I then printed some test sheets to get an idea of the size of the smaller bits. Seemed OK, so I printed out on some thicker card for the actual model.

The kit has alternatives for several boats, both recreational and working boats.

I decided to go for a working boat to start off as I did want at this stage to fiddle around with windows in this scale!

The picture below illustrates a few of the sheets – while these include parts for the various options, there are a lot of parts for one boat in this scale.

Forty nine pieces for the working boat!
Attached Thumbnails
English Canal Narrow Boat-crw_6776.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
These look nice little kits, Kevin

Looking forward too seeing these built up.

Tim
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Scalescenes makes great kits, I look forward to watching your build!

Russ
Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Eternal Member

Well after a couple of days cutting out and preparing the first lot of pieces I did the hull assembly. Forgot to take pics in the early stages, but nothing much missed.

The hull is basically made up by sandwiching a number of layers - from these layers the rear decking and steps and the front hull all suddenly start to appear like magic!

One thing I found was it was essential to be completely accurate, especially when cutting out the bow sections. I also when I finished the basic gave the outside a coat of white glue and then when it was dry, used a mini file to get the hull shape 100%

The first picture shows the basic hull construction – clear enough of you look closely as you will see the layers. About 20 pieces, including the 2 bulkheads.

The second picture shows the hull with all four bulkheads now in and the outside skin going on.

Third picture shows the bow now skinned and gives an idea of size. About 25 pieces so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russ and Tim – the kits are really nice and I enjoy them. A bit daunting always at first, but great once one is started.

This kit is very accurate in terms of a narrow boat - correct sizing and decorations etc.

Tim – I see you live in Wellingborough – my wife was over there for work for around a month earlier this year (during all the snow and cold spell). I seem to recall from my visits (many years back) a canal? With narrow boats still? Remember sitting in a pub by the water……..
Attached Thumbnails
English Canal Narrow Boat-img_5235.jpg   English Canal Narrow Boat-img_5239.jpg   English Canal Narrow Boat-img_5242.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Great start for a nice small model !
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looks great!

Any plans to fill the inside with scale coal?

Tim
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Eternal Member

Pat - thank you!

Tim - great minds think alike!

A few weeks back I bought a bag of fine grey ballast - for this, the coal in Micromodels, and for paths for my scenic models. It has to be multi-purpose as it is expensive. Will paint it black for the coal.......
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Kevin, I also have the canal boat file in my goodie locker. While surfing google to get some ideas on how they fit into the English countryside, I ran across this photo. Combine the scalescenes arched bridge with the canal boat would give you a very interesting and unique diorama. It would be a fun project to do up a canal boat with a detailed interior in the crew cabin. The literature on the web indicates that narrow boats are frequently converted into houseboats....that gives another line of thought for detailing projects. Lots of great possibilities of this kit for adding to train layouts.

English Canal Narrow Boat-220px-pontcysyllte_aqueduct_arp.jpg
Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Eternal Member

Darwin - that is an excellent idea (the bridge). You are thinking of the viaduct arches and pier? And as you say it would be a very interesting diorama.

Thanks - I am going to seriously consider this one!

I have a very nice couple of books on Narrow Boats, and one on fitting out narrow boats that give lots of ideas and scope for modelling interiors. The kit does provide the alternatives - this may may be fun to try with the recreational version. Food for thought. In H/O rather then N though!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
The Scalescenes kit comes with a set of locks, doesn't it? Is that the next project?
Google Adsense