PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work, Bengt. Great precision.

Don
Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.51 MB
Seeing the illustrations/photos you have provided of Nomadic I am struck by how large Titanic was by 1912 standards. Even today it would be considered a large vessel and I have to say much more in proportion to its size and weight than modern-day cruise vessels. Harland and Wolff knew what they were doing.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean liners may be larger, but in my opinion look top heavy and way out of proportion. Four funnels never looked as good as on White Star liners (sorry, Cunard).

Looking forward to your progress, Bengt.
cbg
Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg View Post
Carnival and Royal Caribbean liners may be larger, but in my opinion look top heavy and way out of proportion.
cbg

Your comment caused me to remember something I saw on a television program about modern cruise liners. They pointed out that the newest ones are indeed more top heavy than their predecessors, perhaps dangerously so.

Mike

Very nice work Bengt!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Wonderful work, clean and precise !
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.31 MB
Beautiful work im going to have to try this one
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Don, Mike, Peter and BILL,
Thank you very much for the kind words! I can tell you it is a very fine model, which is delicately and precisely designed by David Hathaway, who spared no effort to ensure that the shapes, measurements and detailing are very true to the original SS Nomadic steam ship. The further I go into this build, the more I realize the amount of work that has gone into the model. And BILL - I can whole-heartedly recommend it! You wouldn't regret it. You even have a choice now of 1/250 or 1/200 scale, thanks to the generosity of David, who also provides an ingenious template for making scale railings.

cbg and Mike,
That's a very interesting discussion on modern ocean liners;
I have also always thought that they look dangerously high, which perhaps was confirmed both in the awful Estonia liner tragedy in the Baltic in the 90s and more recently with the liner Costa Concordia off the coast of Italy, where both ships fell over very rapidly. In any case, they aren't exactly as beautiful as the long and elegant liners of the bygone era, the White Star Olympic class liners in particular. The sweeping curved lines with the open boat deck, the straight, sharp bow, the overhanging stern on top of a high rudder and the immense four funnels (of which only the first three were actual funnels) is certainly more pleasing to the eye.

Therefore, I was delighted to receive the recent very good news from Australia, that Professor Clive Palmer, in Brisbane, is now going to actually build a replica of the RMS Titanic, called the Titanic II. A huge undertaking, to say the least. The Finnish ship design company DELTAMARIN (just across the Baltic from us here in Sweden) has already drawn preliminary deck plans for the luxury liner, and the Chinese shipyard CSC Jinling has agreed to build her and to have her ready in four years (late in 2016), incorporating modern technique and safety within the same hull measurements and appearance. Clive Palmers new shipping company, The BLUE Star Line Pty, has all the information and two downloadable plans, one with a top view of all the decks and one with a cross-section midships of the construction of the hull. It certainly is exciting - have a look under 'Engineering Plans': News - Blue Star Line

Professor Clive Palmer, in Brisbane, Australia:

Ship ahoy!
Bengt
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This will be something, if it actually comes to pass. It looks like the project is on track.

It will certainly look better than any modern cruise ship (to my eye).

Don
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Great work so far, Bengt, this looks like a superb kit. Out of habit I tend to avoid pre-printed kits but I may have to pick this one up. Nomadic is quite handsome.

As an aside, I think the intention of the foundation is to get her sailing again. Last I heard they were looking to acquire a steam engine off an old freighter that was being re-engined somewhere in Africa. I don't know what the status of that effort is, as I remember it was time dependent and costly, never a good combination in the world of ship preservation.

[email protected]
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
I am thrilled to say the very least that Professor Clive Palmer has taken on this wonderful project, and following with great interest. If anyone can "come up with the goods" he can ! I get a great buzz from seeing plans, and reading what he's got install for the future. I agree whole heartedly about the ships designs mentioned earlier, the liners of today are far too tall which makes them very top heavy hence the reason they keel over so readily. The ships, like those in the Titanic class, have a far more elegant design, and safer in most areas of design. The only reason Titanic went down as we all know by now, was the design of the bulkheads, and not forgetting that, if Titanic had hit the iceberg head on, she would probably have lived to tell the tail, the bulkheads would have concertinaed and water wouldn't have been taken on so fast. Some say that if Captain Smith had put her in full reverse mode, she would have stayed afloat much longer, or at least been able to get closer to another ship in that area. Without the tragedy of Titanic, and a few other incidents with Mr Smith at the helm, we wouldn't be getting so fired up about the ships. Titanic would still have been in the headlines for fastest crossing and that would have been a far better for us than the sinking. Disasters tend to make us all remember things, but sadly in most cases for the loss of lives. The models we build of these ships is like a memorial to those lost, and i applaud these sentiments entirely. Your build of this Nomadic has it's own set of memories, and for her they are good ones. You have taken on a most beautiful piece of history.
SS Nomadic the Last White Star Line Ship

Last edited by peter taft; 08-22-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
One must understand that the classic Atlantic ocean liner's purpose was to cross a frequently stormy sea with speed and (hopefully) stability. Thus, a streamlined hull and upper profile were essential. However, until gyro stabilizers were perfected after WWII, long and narrow-beamed liners with hulls resembling oversized canoes would roll considerably. Despite intensive model testing during her design phase, the RMS Queen Mary was a notorious roller until retrofitted with gyros. One passenger who witnessed the Queen suddenly list to an alarming degree while breakfasting in the main dining room was Paul Gallico, who later wrote The Poseidon Adventure.

Today's cruise ships are not built for speed, but are essentially "hotels at sea". Thus, the slab-sided "shoebox" look, where all the suites are exactly idential in dimensions. This makes room reservations much easier for the travel agents, unlike earlier ships where irregular-shaped cabins that curved with the hull were difficult to sell. But despite their top-heavy appearance, these ships are designed to be exceptionally stable -- under normal conditions! If the weather isn't postcard-perfect, or an accident occurs, there's not much margin of safety.

As for a Titanic replica, I'm very dubious. Retrofitting a hundred-year-old design to modern SOLAS standards seems impractical. All the fine woodwork would have to be reproduced with fireproof materials, and the grand staircase couldn't be rebuilt as originally designed since fire regulations forbid such a large open "smoke flue" piercing multiple decks.

Yes, the Titanic was the most luxurious and opulent ship in 1912, but passengers demand more comforts today. I've seen the First-Class staterooms on the Queen Mary, and what was once the ultimate staterooms of the 1930s pale in comparison with a modern Holiday Inn accommodations. Remember that only a few exclusive suites on the Titanic had their own private bathrooms.

And using a steam engine instead of modern diesel propulsion is absolute economic folly. Steam requires far more crew (with experience in this now-obsolete technology) than today's systems. The QE2 lasted so long in service because her boilers were removed and turbines replaced with diesels, and the France/Norway was doomed after a fatal boiler explosion -- an accident that was just waiting to happen given her age and maintenance. That's why the United States will never again sail under her own steam -- even if she can be operated safely, a transatlantic racehorse would burn too much bunker fuel idling at cruise speeds, even if half the boilers and turbines are offline.

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense