PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As always, David, you share a lot of valuable expertise on maritime matters. It will be interesting to see if the Titanic II project succeeds. In reading through the press releases at the site Bengt provided, I see that it is planned for Titantic II to have Diesel engines, a bulbous underwater bow, bow thrusters, and stabilizers. Presumably the other modifications you suggest will also be undertaken.

I still think that the shape of Titanic is far more pleasing to the eye than any modern boxy cruise ship. But then, many people in 1912 probably thought that Titanic was ugly compared to the full-rigged sailing ships it replaced.

Don
Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
As a Belfast schooled boy I would have to say Titanic II sounds like an awful idea and in moderately bad taste! But good luck to them. As mad hubristic projects go it's a sure fire winner!

I would also feel compelled to agree with DTO on the naval architecture and technical details. If Harland and Wolff were building her today you can bet they would have used the most modern propulsion systems etc. available.

I am sure the Titanic II will be as to the original as the modern Mini Cooper is to the original.

I know which one I would rather travel 1000 miles in!

Back on card models I concur that David Hathaway produces real jewels.

D
Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
It seems like every 10 years or so there's a story about a "Titanic II"- Walter Lord even comments on it in The Night Lives On. I'll believe it when I see it (or when Jerry V creates a paper model of it).
Wayne

Last edited by wag; 08-22-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: I used to be able to spell
Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Titanic II project

Hi all,

It will be interesting indeed to see if this huge new project materializes. The latest project in South Africa (which was supposed to be built by the now defunct Harland & Wolf shipyard in Belfast) did not. From what I gather from the rather sparse information from The Blue Star Line Team so far, the ship will be propelled by two diesel-driven movable stern propellers (with original rudder merely as a decoration above the waterline) and will have a modified bow bulb (not as big or long as on modern ships), side stabilizers and bow thrusters for better handling in port. So, above the waterline, I think the intentions are to keep the original exterior look as much as possible, with perhaps the addition of complementary radar and GPS systems. The beam is also proposed to be slightly wider, by about three meters. And of course the new 'safety deck', which will incorporate modern life rafts, hidden away from sight behind black hull doors or hatches. That will probably propell the astronomical costs even more. I have also read something about a 'higher' bridge (instead of the crow's nest) but I have not seen it confirmed or in any form of plan as yet.

If Clive Palmer follows through with his bold plans, I should think that the marketing value would be enormous. There would be no problem in selling tickets for the proposed maiden voyage in 2016 (if the ship is ready by then). I would jump at the opportunity. In fact, I am already on the Blue Star Line newsletter list.

I suppose we will hear more of this venture soon enough, and if the Chinese CSC Jinling Shipyard finally begins to lay the keel for the Titanic II, we may believe that it will in fact come to pass.

All the best,
Bengt

PS.
There is a new Wikipedia page for the Titanic II project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II

Last edited by Bengt Fredén; 08-22-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Fredén View Post
Thanks, Jerry,

I liked what you did with your Taschen Titanic model (the diorama with your own tugs)!
What did you use for water? Is it some kind of glossy plastic sheet? It looks great.

All the best,
Bengt

Thanks Bengt!

It is indeed, it is wrapped around the plank which has been wrapped in a piece of textile, but you could also use paper in any desired color like I did earlier, see the blue water.

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Water Effect

Thanks, Jerry!
I shall have to try various methods in 1:200 scale. Yours is one of the more realistic and good-looking ones.

Have you seen what Helmut is doing over at Kartonbau.de with his big 1:200 scale Fly Model Titanic? He has found some kind of rippled (plastic?) water base, that looks really good both in texture and color:
TITANIC, Fly, 1 : 200, Bilder vom Baufortschritt - Seite 12 - Bauberichte Schiffe - Kartonbau.de - Alles rund ums Kartonmodell

Click on the first photo, then enlarge it to your desktop!

All the best,
Bengt

PS. Helmut has also bought the 1:200 scale on-off prints of the SS Nomadic from David at PaperShipwright, and is apparently also sharing the idea of a Cherbourg seaside diorama - well, the more, the merrier.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Bengt, You're welcome.

Yes I know the plastic sheets he is using, I had thought about using them myself, but they were a bit expensive here in the Netherlands, and I had to buy more then one sheet to cover the base I had made, that's why I used this simpeler and cheaper method.

With kind regards,

Jerry
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the information. Do you know where one can get them in Europe? I'd like to try with a smaller piece for the SS Nomadic.

/ Bengt
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM

I would have no idea, but I saw them once in our local hobby shop, but that has been a while..

Jerry
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 AM

News from The Blue Star Line

Hi all sea dogs,

A bit off-topic in this SS Nomadic tender model thread, but I just had to post the news I got on e-mail from the Blue Star Line on Clive Palmer's RMS Titanic II project:

"1 October 2012

Blue Star Line Chairman, Professor Clive Palmer, is pleased to announce the appointment of Steve Hall, one of the world’s foremost authorities on Titanic’s exterior and general working arrangements, as Design Consultant and Historian for the Titanic II project. Mr Hall is the co-author of Titanic The Ship Magnificent and Titanic in Photographs which are internationally acclaimed. Mr Hall is a recognised authority on the technical aspects of the original ship’s construction and is a renowned visual historian, having studied and researched the Titanic and photographic records for more than three decades.

The work carried out by Mr Hall will ensure Titanic II looks as it should, as a modern replica of the original vessel in all her grandeur. Professor Palmer said Blue Star Line continues to be overwhelmed with the national and international response to the Titanic II project. “This magnificent vessel is being constructed in memory of the heroic people who worked and sailed on the original ship,” Prof Palmer said. “We also want to recognise the artists and artisans whose skill, creativity and dexterity has never been fully recognised because of the ship’s limited service. “This is why we have brought Mr Hall on board, his extensive knowledge of Titanic’s construction and finer detail is highly respected the world over.”

Professor Palmer announced to the world on April 30, 2012, his intention to build and launch Titanic II in conjunction with leading Chinese shipbuilders, CSC Jinling Shipyard. Professor Palmer has since announced the appointment of Finnish-based Deltamarin to undertake a full review of the Titanic II project and has also released the preliminary plans for Titanic II.

Professor Palmer said the project remains scheduled for a 2016 launch date, when Titanic II will sail from China to England before her maiden passenger voyage retraces the original journey. “It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems,” Professor Palmer said. “Titanic II will be the ultimate in comfort and luxury with on-board gymnasiums and swimming pools, libraries, high class restaurants and luxury cabins.”

I guess we will just have to wait and see if Clive Palmer can afford this oppulent luxury in today's shipbuilding standards...

All the best,
Bengt
Google Adsense