PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
SS Nomadic from Paper Shipwright

Hi all sea dogs,

Model designer David Hathaway of Paper Shipwright in the UK has just released a very fine 1/250 scale model of one of Titanic's Cherbourg tenders, the White Star Line SS Nomadic: SS Nomadic | Paper Shipwright

He has also very kindly offered modelers one-off prints in 1/200 scale on larger sheets, if contacted directly by e-mail. This would allow for example a Cherbourg seaside diorama with one of the big and detailed RMS Titanic 1:200 scale models, either the GOMIX-Fly Model or the new Schreiber-Bogen model.

The SS Nomadic has recently been brought back to Belfast from Paris, France, where she has been painstakingly renovated and once more painted in White Star Line colors. Here she is on display at Harland & Wolff - the only White Star Line ship in existance today:

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Bengt,
That is a wonderful image.
Are you going to build it?
Mike
Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Bengt,

I just want to say ditto to Mike's message.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM

SS Nomadic Tender Model

Hi Mike and Jeff,

I will build it - when the current time schedule allows. I have now received the model kit and the sheets are beautifully printed. My concerns about the funnel color are proven wrong - it looks very balanced and true indeed.

A very fine precision model - recommended. Perhaps we will see the slightly smaller (3rd class) sister tender "TRAFFIC" as well from David?

All the best,
Bengt
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great news, and great photo!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a great find, Bengt! I had not been to David's website for a couple of weeks and was delighted to find, in addition to this beautiful ship, the New Zealand ferry, TSS Earnslaw, of the same period, as well as some new (to me) free lighthouses and a dirigible mooring mast for the Italia/Norge. I immediately ordered both Nomadic and Earnslaw.

Remember, for those able to get to Sterling Virginia in October, the theme for this year's International Paper Modelers' Convention (IPMC 2012) is merchant ships and civilian watercraft.

2012 International Paper Modelers' Convention, Sterling, Virginia, USA

I hope we will see some Nomadics and Earnslaws there.

Don
Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 AM

The SS Nomadic in 1:200 Scale

Hi all sea dogs,

I have just received a one-off waterline model from David Hathaway (in the larger 1:200 scale) of the SS Nomadic. The four printed sheets are just BEAUTIFUL!

The colors are excellent and all details are very stringent and sharp (on A3 thin cardboard paper).

This one I WILL definitely build - it's on top of the model pile now.

Thanks David!
All the best,
Bengt in Stockholm

PS. David! What thickness do you recommend for the cardboard reinforcement backing? Will 1mm card be good for a close fit?

Last edited by Bengt Fredén; 07-01-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: PS.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 PM

The History of The White Star Tender 'SS Nomadic'

Hi all,

At this web site, the home of the SS Nomadic Preservation Society in Belfast, Northern Ireland, there is a lot to be learned of the early history of the White Star Line's tender SS Nomadic:
Nomadic Preservation Society - SS Nomadic, Belfast

In 2006, she returned again after over 95 years to Harland & Wolff Shipyard in Belfast, where she since has been renovated. Here are some photos from the first reception in Belfast on the 17th of July, 2006:
Nomadic Preservation Society - SS Nomadic

Best,
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Beautiful Wooden SS Nomadic Model

Hi all,

I discovered when going through all the photos and documentation on the SS Nomadic that model maker Robin Burrows, of Norwich, England, has made a very fine wooden model of the tender.

I believe it is now exhibited along with the original ship, which has been thoroughly renovated (since the home-coming in July 2006) at the Hamilton dry dock in the Titanic Quarter (former Harland & Wolff Shipyard) in Belfast, very near the slipways where RMS Titanic and RMS Olympic were once built.

The photo (which I have taken the liberty of cropping top and bottom and cleaning up a bit) will serve as a guide when building the 1:200 scale paper model:

I would very much like to see them both!

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Paper Shipwright One-off 1:200 Scale Prints

Hi all,

Tonight, under the intense kitchen table light, I did some preliminary planning on the 1:200 scale SS Nomadic model sheets, that model designer David Hathaway very kindly made for me. The standard scale of most of his models is the more common 1:250:

As you can see above, it is an incredibly detailed model, and even at the slightly larger scale, I am beginning to wonder how on Earth I will manage to cut out the smallest parts, such as anchors, rudder wheel, windlass parts, vents etc. The thinnest and sharpest scalpel blade and the finest pair of Fiskars scissors will be put to good use.

I did some early tests with the smallest hole puncher I could find, because I would like to punch out all the port holes. I realized rather quickly, however, that I need to get an even smaller one with a diameter of about 1,5mm for this job. The task of cutting out all the rectangular windows will also be a delicate one. If anyone has tips or input regarding this, it would be most welcome!

The model is complete with an ingenious spacing template for making railings in the same scale, so that shouldn't prove too difficult, with the proper kind of very fine black filament thread. If you are interested in building this excellent ship model, here is a direct link to David's web site: SS Nomadic | Paper Shipwright

Anchors away,
Bengt
Google Adsense