PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi folks,

@Peter: Thank you. One couldn't complain about the details of this model kit

Now back to the "real issues". Meaning i had to build the hull.
Each side (29/30) consists of 5 elements and some other stuff like inner railing parts and hawseholes. Last but not least comes the transom (32)
All bulleyes/windows were cut out and glazed with the foil mentioned earlier.
I also cut the scuppers, this adds more depth to the model.
1.-2. Preparing the upper section of the bow, including 3 hawseholes on each side.
3. Attaching the lower to the upper part of the bow section. Notice the anchor hawse hole
4. With the third part of the starboard side, the hull covers roughly half the length of the model. I suggest combining all 5 hull elements per side before attaching the hull to the model.
5. The 2 stern parts were realtively easy to combine but cutting out the scuppers was tedious work...
6. Here you see the port side. Much different compared to the starboard side, as many windows and bulleyes had to be cut out.
7. Overview of both parts and the model so far.

Well, in my next update i'll show the most dreaded work of "planking the hull"
If you have any questions, suggestions etc., please let me know.

Until then, cheers

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_02.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_03.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_04.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_05.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_06.jpg  

Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_07.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_08.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Lars,
I look forward to "planking the hull". I'm sure it will look great.
Again, nice work.
Mike
Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fine work so far on a most interesting ship.

Don
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM

Hi folks,

@Mike: Thank you, let's see if the "planking" worked out
@Don: Thanks, yes, this is a really intriguing model. I can recommend it.

Building the hull consumed more than 10 hours preparing all the parts and some more hours to mount both sides and the transom on the model.
But i guess, it was worth it.

1. The starboard side came first. You can see the "odd" shape of the hull; the constructor did a fine job translating this form into cardboard.
2. The port side.
There were just 2 small difficulties:
The section, where the 3 front parts stick together, is really hard to "put into form". It didn't work out 100%, but i'm still content with the result.
Second problem for me was the bow. The mid-frame was a little bit too long. To get both sides aligned and closed at the bow, i had to cut out a small portion of the bow-frame. Nothing that couldn't be handled
3. The closed bow and the crest with a stork on it was added as well.
4.-5. The bow deck and the inner railing. The outer railing is much too high to fit the inner railing. I had to cut off a good part of it. This is due to "added material"; the publisher uses this to allow the modeler to adjust certain parts to his/her individual modelling style.

At last, i added the transom. I'll post some more pics right after this.
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_09.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_10.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_11.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_13.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_bordwand_14.jpg  

Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Here are some more pics of the model in its current state.
Enjoy

Cheers

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_39.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_40.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_41.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_42.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_43.jpg  

Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_44.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM
POTM Moderator

The planking worked out Lars.
I noticed those perfect portholes along the bow.
Mike
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very good craftsmanship. The three-quarter stern shot is very impressive.

Don
Old 05-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I have never built a “proper“ ship in this scale, but I must say I am getting really tempted!
Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Hi folks,

@Mike: Thank you. I, too, love those small but effective details on any model.
@Don: Thanks, i'm glad you like it
@Kevin: Maybe i can tempt you a little bit more

The hull is not yet complete. I added some scuff ribs 32 (i hope the translation is correct?). The parts were cut from doubled cardboard. They had to be shortened in some areas ("added material" by the publisher, once again), but no problem.
My method for cutting out such slim, long cardboard pieces:
With a scalpel, carefully cut a straight line on one side but leave it in the surrounding cardboard frame! Then cut the other side and after this, cut it out of the "frame" at both ends. That way, you avoid the pesky furling of those slim, long parts.
1.-2. Scuff ribs (32) are in place
3.-6. Another "easy-going" detail are the bulwark stays (29/30). Tedious work, but they add a lot to any model.
7.-10. Those 5 roller fairleads (53) were built as a rectangular box and slim stripes of doubled cardboard. Inserted into one box were 2 vertical and 2 horizontal stripes. The instruction suggests using 0,5mm pencil lead, but i used cardboard anyway. With these small details, it doesn't matter much, i suppose. And cutting out 20 evenly sized parts from a pencil lead wouldn't be easy anyway...

Cheers

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_45.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_46.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_47.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_48.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_49.jpg  

Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_50.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_51.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_52.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_53.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_54.jpg  

Old 05-27-2012, 05:16 PM
POTM Moderator

Hello Lars,
Nice work. Regarding "Scuff Ribs". That is a good name for them. But I don't know if it is correct. Maybe one of the others here knows the English term for them.
Mike
Google Adsense