PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.93 MB
Sorry Guys,

Update today is not too upBeat!!! Found a real problem that escaped me earlier. Going to have to redisign a couple of parts and repeat the last few steps. Hopefully tomorrow, but I'll let you know.

Now the good news, this is not a show stopper!!!!!!

fishBait.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 AM

Back on track. New design fit well and progressing. Will post tonight.

fishBait
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Cool!

Not sure how I missed this construction report until now, but glad I found it! She really looks great!

Looking forward to seeing the updated construction when you are able to post more.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM

All is right and fits. Restart at Step #8, mentally delete the previous steps 8-14. Here are the new steps 8-14:

We will now install the paddlewheel and casement on the hull. The first step is simply gluing the Casement Bottom (main deck) on top of the hull. Watch the alignment here. Alignment is more critical at the stern at this point. If it is too short at the bow, no problem. If it is too long, it can be trimmed later. Just make sure the stern is in alignment.
8) Main deck installed on the hull.
9) The USS Cairo should now look like this from the bottom, the white underside of the main deck clearly visible.
10) Cut a strip equal to gap width between the hulls and longer than the gap. Assemble the paddlewheel on the strip 1/8 inch back from one end.
11) Slide the strip with the paddlewheel into the gap area and properly align it. Mark the main deck stern on the strip; remove and trim to length. Apply glue to the main deck undersides in the gap; reinsert the strip and paddlewheel; align carefully and press down to make a good glue joint.
12) The USS Cairo should now look like this from the bottom.
13) Cut out and assemble the casement. Assembly is straight forward, but has has two unique aspects. First, there are two stiffners glued to the inside top of the casement for strength. Second, the four corners do not meet perfectly, but are offset (see next graphic).
14) Closeup of one end of the casement underside. The offsets at the corners are correct.

More follows,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
USS Cairo Test Build-p08.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p09.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p10.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p11.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p12.jpg  

USS Cairo Test Build-p13.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p14.png  
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Cool. Keep Going!
CT
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Continuing on:

15) Cut out the casement formers and mount them on top of the main deck. I used scrap paper to make them double thickness and added scrap paper re-enforcement.
16) Test fit the casement over the casement formers and main deck. The bow and stern armor should meet the main deck at the light gray join lines. The side armor should fit down and around the main deck meeting the hull armor in the classic Pook Turtle fashon (see graphic). If necessary, trim the casement formers to avoid distorting the casement. Glue the casement to the main deck and formers.
17} Another view showing the casement fit and overlap.
18} Examining the photo of the actual USS Cairo, the sharp demarcation line between the heavy armor and lighter armor on the sides is clearly evident.
19} Trim the casement overlap around the joint with the hull making a smooth transistion. Cut out, bend and glue the heavy side armor on each side. Be careful of the alignment. Notice the glue joint on the bottom of the heavy armor has sprung loose. I pushed the drying time to get the post on tonight. Don't worry, I fixed it.
20} Another view showing the heavy armor installed.
21} Time to add the four forward deck cleats and forward hatch.
22} Another look at the four forward deck cleats and forward hatch.

More topside detail next post. Stay tuned,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
USS Cairo Test Build-p15.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p16.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p17.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p18.png   USS Cairo Test Build-p19.jpg  

USS Cairo Test Build-p20.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p21.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-p22.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Your doing a great job, keep it up!
Not to put any pressure on you, but are you going to do the sister city class ships as well?
CT
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Corey,

Yes, some of them. Most of the work is done, just have to trim them up. I hvae alreay done some research on a couple of them. However, I would like to do the Benton, Essex, and Deleware first. (Notice I gave you credit for help and the Delaware on my website.) Are you wanting to do some of the sister ships? If so, we can probably work out a workable division.

One I really want to do in the future is the River Steamer Yellowstone. The Yellowstone traveled up and down the Brazos River here in Texas. During the Texas Revoluton, the Yellowstone ferried Sam Houston and Texas troops and helped defeat Santa Anna. During the Republic days, the Yellowstone shipped Texas Goods down the Brazos and over to Galveston; and when Mexico started making moves north again, she shifted over to Matagora Bay and helped out again. Should make a great model, and is another part of American History.

Speaking of history, you are in Georgia. In northern Georgia you will find the Cheif John Vann house, principle cheif of the Cherokees. Been there a number of times, he is one of my grandfathers. His grand daughter, Polly Ann Rogers is my great-great-grandmother. And down Atlanta way, you have Stone Mountain. Back before the war (ACW), Stone Montain was known as the Bolding Farm/Plantation/Place. John Porter Bolding was my great-great-great grandfather.

Polly and her husband came to Texas sometimes in the 1820's and the Boldings came in 1865 in the first wave after the war. So I have some pretty strong Georgia roots.

fishBait
Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking goooooooooood!!!

Is there a lot of difference in the sister ships?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporticus View Post
Looking goooooooooood!!!

Is there a lot of difference in the sister ships?
Not really, most of the big differences are in the top side forward hurricane deck around the pilot house. For quick example:
1) USS Cincinnati - Not a good drawing, but shows the high box like pilot house and tall ventalators. Photos support drawing.
2) USS Baron de Kalb (USS St Louis) - Almost identical to the USS Cairo, later photos show an observation platform with railing ON TOP of the pilot house.
3) USS Mound City - Note the box like pilot house ON TOP of the regular pilot house. There also appears to be another structure behind the stacks.

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
USS Cairo Test Build-usscincinnati.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-ussbarondekalb.jpg   USS Cairo Test Build-ussmoundcity.jpg  
Google Adsense