PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
[Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))

Hello,

For few months I try to build Kamikawa Maru, in 1:200 scale. There is lack of good drawings, and there are not many photos available, but I have a fun with building this mysterious ship.

But first a little of history:-)

The Kamikawa Maru was build at Kawasaki Dockyard Company, Ltd., at Kobe, Japan in March 1937 for the Kawasaki Kisen KK (the K Line). She made only a couple of voyages to the USA before being requisitioned in September 1937. She served as a seaplane tender until she was sank north of Ireland on 28 April, 1943.

That is how she looked (the first photo above was made before she was requisitioned).

Below you have few photos of my project.

The frame:

The hold:

And the almost finished hull:

In the next stage I will cover the hull with plates which should resemble the metal covering of the hull and make engraved decks.

Best regards, Jake
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 AM

That Hull is magnificent.. for a scratch build like this. Good Work!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 AM

Update

Hello all,

Today I present You the engraved deck. The engraving took me two weeks of work.

Then I started covering the hull with plates which should resemble the metal covering of the hull.

Best regards to all,
Jake
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 AM

Thats brilliant, way out of my league.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hi Jake,

Great build and great project ! I saw someone on the Konradus-forum ones started to build the ship too ! But to my knowledge, never finished it. Let's hope you will do better, which I think
By the way, did you use parts of another model to build the hull (Model bashing), because I see numbered parts in the hull ?
Will foolow this thread with great interest.

John.
Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 AM

Hello,

No, I did not use parts from other model. I am designing it myself so some day I could release it.

Thank you all for inspiring words.:-)

Best regards,
Jake

Last edited by kubeksus; 06-16-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 AM

Hi Kubekus,

What a magnificent and detailed project.

Before we get some crazy conspiracy theories developing that's NEW Ireland in the Bismarck Archipelago, the Pacific Ocean not wet cold Ireland... although imagine the impact of a unexpected Japanese seaplane attack on the Royal Navy base in Lough Foyle (Londonderry) or even Liverpool!

Best

David
Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Just looked on the Internet (Pacificwrecks.com) too and found this:

Kavieng (150.793E 2.58S), located at the northwestern tip of New Ireland in the Bismarcks, had a protected anchorage that might have played an important role in the war if it had not been overshadowed by the great fortress at nearby Rabaul. The anchorage is handicapped by strong tidal currents and numerous shoals. Nonetheless, the Japanese occasionally used it as an alternate anchorage to Rabaul. At the outbreak of war, the facilities were barely adequate to load copra from nearby coconut plantations. However, New Ireland had the only all-weather road of any length in the Bismarcks, which ran along the entire northeast coast of the island and had a spur to a ferry landing on the southwest coast of the island across from Rabaul.

Sounded a little strange to me too (North of Ireland )
I also researched the net a bit about Kamikawa Maru and found the following, maybe of interest to you Jake:
M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y

John.

PS: Following "The Imperial Japanese Navy" by Watts and Gorden she was sunk on May 28th, 1943, but that doesn't change anything to the fact what a beautiful project this, and I'm looking forward to the end result !!

John.
Attached Thumbnails
[Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kami.jpg   [Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kamikawamaru.jpg   [Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kamikawa-maru-drawing.gif  

Last edited by JohnMGD; 06-16-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 AM

Yeah, I noticed my mistake but because this forum do not allow to correct posts (it is only possible in the first hour after posting) so I couldn't correct it. And later I simply forgot about it;-)

Jake
Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 AM

Thanks for the materials John. However, this model is not Kamikawa Maru (well it is labelled that way but Kamikawa looked differently). This is model from Pit Road in1:700 scale and its design was probably based on Sagara Maru. I wrote about it to the publisher but still without the answer.

Kamikawa Maru has seaplane decks in front of the main hull, her rails were set differently and, most of all, the catapult was installed directly on the deck.

That is how she probably looked (photos below).

Jake
Attached Thumbnails
[Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kamikawa-maru-kawasaki-kisen-planik.jpg   [Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kamikawamarumod2.jpg  

Last edited by kubeksus; 06-16-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Google Adsense