PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Kooklic U-boot with torpedoes

I wanted to do something with my brother that would both be entertaining to us and would also encourage us to get together on a monthly basis. So I decided we should build a model. But what model? Armor is too costly and way beyond our masochism limits. Besides, we really like 1/72nd scale. Aircraft? Well he was never really interested in modelling aircraft. Flying sims, sure, but modelling? Not really.

Well, then it hit me . . . we LOVE Unterseeboots. And we could build while watching Das Boot. True unlike U-96, Kooklic's is a Type VIIC/41, but it is a u-boot.

So there I am doing the model build thing with my brother. He's done plenty of plastic, and model rockets, but no paper. Of course what do I do? I use Kookliks uboot as his introduction. It's going to be a lot of hard work, but knives etc are very familiar territory to us.

We we're busy building the first substructure, the bow, and I was trying to decide if I was going to do the torpedo doors open or closed (I had printed the "open door" mod page).

I looked at the mod page and realized that the torpedo tube image was not round. I don't mean slightly not round, but VERY not round, as in seriously elliptical. That's when I decided: I'm not going to do the open door mod, I'm going to add tubes, outer tube hatches, torpedoes, and maybe even some of the support structure, if it will be visible through the open tube doors.

So, here's the initial progress pics of my Kooklik Type VIIC/41.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

Now for the mods . . .
this is the third test build of the G7e torpedo.

the pieces

fins and propellers cut out . . .

the pieces preformed . . .

to be continued . . . . .
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Torpedoes continued . . . and assembled

I'm not satisfied with the nose, one side is decidedly flatter than the other due to how the concentric rings were laid out with the connectors all on a common side. Oddly enough when I initially unwrapped the nose they were all askew, but it built a more symmetrical shape. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I am also not satisfied with the textures on the tail fins, I need to verify that they were indeed wood, and I need to re-texture the rest of the torpedo. Add bronze texture to the nose and propellers. It would appear that there were several acceptable paint schemes for these weapons. I have seen examples of blue and off white, bronze tipped, dark green/grey tipped (as seen here), and a few others. I think I will go with either the blue and off-white, or the bronze tipped.

Well, that's it for now . . . progress on creating the tubes etc progresses at a slow pace. Now onward to version 4 of the torpedo!

"It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go!"
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Looking good!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Pretty impressive thus far. I look forward to seeing your next version.

A question to those more knowledgeable than I: Did they coat the torpedoes in oil or grease before placing them in the tubes to fire?

Jeff
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Fine start. Will be watching this.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 PM

@Paperwarrior- according to Lothar-Gunther Bucheim who wrote the semi-autobiographical "Das Boot" and served as a war correpondent/journlist aboard at least one u-boot, they did. He wrote another book around 40 years after the war simply titled "U-boat War" with many photographs that were taken during patrols, but not developed until the 1980's. I have it buried somewhere, and it is a very interesting book, with a bunch of wonderful photos, many of which look almost like they were taken on the set of Das Boot, but with different actors.

@ NStarkel & jagolden01- thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Great idea about enhancing the model with the topedoes.

Here is a tutorial by Gil from June 2008 on how to use the petal design in making nosecones and such. It might help in the appearance of your torpedoes if you want to try it in the future.
Tutorial and Technique for the Assembly of Open Petal Designs
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I be following this build myself
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Update: kinda

Well this isn't the uboot, but it's opposition. Since I'm soring on the U-boot, I figured that I'd also do a destroyer. Looking at the records of U96 it seems that she narrowly escaped a run in with a Wickes class destroyer in 1941 (in fact it was the former USS Wickes herself).

So I found the only un heavily modified Wickes class model in the largest size that I could: GPM's USS Ward. Then I went about enlarging and painting it as the print from GPM seems a bit too dark grey. I am also goint to attempt to divide the hull shell along hull plates, which means creataing hull plates.

The long and the short if it is that I have to scan the model pieces, trace them manually to create line art, import into Photoshop, add color and texture, then finally print and assemble.

Here is a test textured piece of the rear upper hull, port and starboard.

Click this bar to view the small image.

I may well spin the texture as at present it kinda looks like it has a grain that goes up and down relative to the direction of the hull.

vbsargent
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Update, kind of . . ..

Well, the U-boat is on hold until I get together with my brother again, so it's onward and upward with the destroyer.

I'm pretty happy with my progress on the upper hull skins. I've got some nice textures and a little bit of weathering discoloration, but no rust marking yet . . . . still not sure if I will add individual area rust/discoloration (ie below portholes, and railings etc) or not. I apologize in advance for the large size of the pic. but I wanted to give you an idea of the level at which I am working. In Illustrator I am editing at a 1/4 scale level tolerance (sometimes working on artwork at 6400 magnification), and in Photoshop each individual pixel represents approximately 1/4"x1/4". So you can imagine how intensive this work is.

Enjoy!

A much, much larger version can be seen here: http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/vb...tml?sort=3&o=1

vbsargent
Google Adsense