PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dupuy De Lome French Pre-Dreadnought

Hi,
Modelik have published Dupuy De Lome, a French pre-dreadnought kit and Courbet a WW2 French Warship, I will buy Dupuy De Lome once the exchange rates go up as currently our currency is taking a hammering.
There is a French warships site, like the English Maritime Museum, which is putting up French warship plans for free download. These plans are for
pre dreadnought up to quite modern French Warships - I have lost the link, but if it has not been mentioned here, I am sure you can find it with Google.
If all else fails, I will try to find it myself and post it again, next time I come by this Forum
When I was passing by it last time, I downloaded all of the plans of pre-dreadnoughts, however the later stuff didn't interest me and I left that.
I have been wondering if, in the meantime, any more interesting plans have been provided for free download?????
A few people were in touch with me, but seem to have fallen by the wayside, I hope this message finds you all happy and well. Anytime you or anyone else, might want to get back in touch, my door is always open to my catalogued plans collection for further trades of most subjects discussed within this Forum.
[email protected]x
BigBenn
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.75 MB
Maybe this is that site:
Plan de bateaux

However there is no Dupuy, but maybe there is any of its sister ship...
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Dupuy de Lôme

The Dupuy de Lôme had no sistership, and until now, the plans can not be found online. Hope one day...
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I wish those plans were out there...
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 AM

Hmm
Well there are plans out there: RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
15mb

BigBenn
Google Adsense
Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Fascinating creature, but surely only it's mother could love it. May I ask on which site you found that file, or the link to it.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
For folks that are wondering what is hidden behind the link, it is one of the booklets of the kind available online at narod.ru. I don't see this particular one posted there. The download runs to 30+ pages and has tons of photos and many plans. Unfortunately the resolution of the plans is not superior but a determined modeler could use them as the basis for a good model.

Carl
Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 AM

If it were from "that site" on narod.ru (which is a server not a site) I wouldn't be asking. Let's see what bigbenn has to say.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Hi All,
For over 25 years I have been collecting plans of ships, warships, submarines and so on, first from technical journals in our public libraries, then from modellers magazines from the ex Soviet Block, then in trade and with the advent of the computer, well from the internet, amongst other Military & History subjects of interest from various internet forums.
When I am really enthusiastic about a particular plan set, be it of air, marine or space, or whatever, but lets say "man made", I search on Google and with Webferret which is a free searcher available for download which you can find a download link for from Google - and any other means as my disposal.
I turned up the Dupuy De Lome book & plans from Google - the Rapidshare link was advertised, but I have no idea where it originated from.
As a matter of course, I downloaded all of the warships plans from the French free plans site, for warships to 1918 which is really my interest period, although I have tons of other plans of ships up to the 1990's too......and burnt the French plans to DVD-RW - almost filled a DVD, which is what I do, as this process is easiest to catalog and store against computer crashes, I had one of those a few days ago.
For anyone interested, it is best to partition your hard drive with several partitions, then you save your operating software to "C" drive and everything else to "D", then when you have a computer crash, you only hace to reformat "C" and everything saved to "D" remains there. You also isolate viruses and so on, by downloading stuff to "D" and unpacking it there.
I find it interesting to note that none of the more popular French warship plans have been provided for free, for example the Hoche, which I particularly like, I used to have a plan set I bought from the French Maritime Museum, but I seem to have misplaced it, which is unusual for me and I would love to build a model of "her", not at 1-400 but at 1-100 or bigger, for detail scale radio control in card of course, as I am, or was, a detail scale modeller in card until internet took hold...Um!!
When I was downloading the free French warship plans sets, I noticed one or two other French warships with similar ram bows as the Dupuy De Lome, but they were called something else.
You might be interested to know that I have supplied plans of warships and other information to card producers which has resulted in some of the card kits which are for sale now, in exchange for a copy of the card kit which they produced - as I am all in favour of helping people clever than me to create card models which I don't have the skills, patience or time to create myself....and I have far too many plans to build more than a few models "my way" in the time remaining before I "fall of the twig", or "pop it" as one might say.
I have discovered that it is a lot easier to scan a plans set at 300+ DPI and reduce the JPG size with one of the programs which do this and then send the accompanying file as an e.mail attachment and it is a lot cheaper than postage too, while retaining my privacy.
Well, that's probably more than anyone asked for, I hope the above helps in some way and answers questions which were raised.
A very Merry Christmas and a very Happy & Prosperous New Year to all of you.....
BigBenn
Old 12-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the response BB. I will have to get a webferret and teach it some moral values before letting it loose.
Google Adsense