PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250

Hi my friends,

i just started on a new model, the "Maria S. Merian", a german research ship, recently released by the Passat-Verlag in 1:250.
The "Maria S. Merian" (named by a german naturalist, 1647-1717) operates around the world, depending on the scientific needs of their crew. Research is often conducted in the polar regions, but may also take place at other ocean areas. The ship is outfitted with several laboratories and oceanographic equipment.

You can find many details, pics and renderings of the ship and its outfittings right here:
Maria S. Merian: Maria S. Merian

The model's really interesting, with photo-etched parts to "tune" it. Technical details like many winches, cranes, movebars, containers and last but not least interiors for the hangar and the bridge should guarantee fun and excitement while building the model.

So let's embark on a journey with the "Maria S. Merian", off to unexplored shores, enjoy

Kind regards

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_01.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_01a.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_13.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Lars,
Fascinating ship.
I am on board for your journey to unexplored shores.
Good Luck!
Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM

@Mike: Thank you, have fun

Hey folks,
ok, let's get started.

1. One thing to mention is, that several parts are printed on coloured cardboard, so you won't have to colour the edges on these parts. Very nice, in my opinion.

2.-5. The usual "framework" for the hull. Frames, stringers and decks are double layered cardboard. I had to modify the frame 14 to make room for the hangar interior later on.

6.-10. As some of the photo etched parts have to be used early on during the build, i dyed them with prime coating spray. Later on, i added more colour to some smaller parts (red on some crane parts, blue on the hawseholes and green on the top of the stairs).

Stay tuned for the hangar interior which will come next

Cheers

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_02.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_03.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_05.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_06.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_07.jpg  

Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_09.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_10.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_11.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_12.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_32.jpg  

Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM

1.-10. I designed the hangar and bridge interiors with Corel Draw. The parts are available as a PDF-download on the kartonbau.de - Kartonmodellbau, Kartonmodelle, Cardmodels, Cardmodeling homepage, in the Passat section. The Passat-Verlag recommends these details for enhancing the model, i'm very grateful for that

As the hangar interior is well documented on the homepage of the "Maria S. Merian" (see my first posting), drawing the parts was relatively "easy going". Later on, it got more complicated as the walls had to fit the exterior walls around the hangar. Careful checking and adjustments finally yielded success

The outer wall 23e has to be modified as shown in pic 5. The background of the vents (f) was blackened to give more depth once the photo-etched gratings were mounted.

The ceiling with the crane and the movebar, including a so-called "Antipendeleinheit" (a device used to take probes in the ocean without shaking too much) will be added later on.

The last picture shows the hangar "on deck"

Cheers

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_14.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_15.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_16.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_17.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_18.jpg  

Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_19.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_20.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_21.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_22.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_23.jpg  

Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Lars,
This is a nice feature, that you can add your own design work to the interior of the ship. It adds another dimension to the project.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Wonderful work.. Will be a pleasure to follow along..
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Looking really nice. Looking forward to following this one......
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
This design announce a great model !
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Hi my friends,

@all: Thank you for your kind comments, it's really appreciated

Here's another update on the "Maria S. Merian".

1.-2. Next came the rest of the walls 23; windows/bulleyes were cut out and covered on the backside with anti-static-foil (the stuff computer parts are packaged with). This yields a really nice "window effect".
The slim stripes on the wall are supposed to resemble neon lights.
The round photo-etched parts on the bulkheads are deadlights (i hope the translation is correct).
3.-4. The deck 24 and the first photo-etched companionway. I love these details on every model; they add a lot of "filigree".
5. Here's the stern structure 25, you can also see the red life rings 108 on the walls. I suggest attaching them before installing the walls on the decks.
6. Main deck 26 had to be modified with a small notch where part of the hangar collides with it.
7. Deflection pulley 27, right behind the companionway next to the hangar.
8. Upper main deck 28; you can see the "gallery" between the decks 24/28, windows glazed.

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers

Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_24.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_25.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_26.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_27.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_28.jpg  

Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_29.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_30.jpg   Research ship "Maria S. Merian" / Passat / 1:250-msm_31.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Some wonderful detailing, and clean work. Really like the look of the open portholes, and the ladders.
Google Adsense