PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Ships and watercraft (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/)
-   -   IJN Isuzu 1:200 - Answer (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/2082-ijn-isuzu-1-200-answer.html)

redhorse 11-13-2008 08:28 PM

IJN Isuzu 1:200 - Answer

2 Attachment(s)
After the tank I just finished, I'm in the mood for a ship. I've decided on the Isuzu from Answer.

Interesting, I'm reading some of the Isuzu history and she was part of the invasion of Hong Kong. I lived there for a number of years 20 or so years ago and my wife grew up there. (Time has really flown, seems like yesterday). She tells stories sometimes of playing in old Japanese forts as a kid and she and her brother even found some old ammunition. And then later Isuzu was attacked by planes from CV-16 Lexington which we just visited down in Corpus Christi. I really like it when the history of my models connects up with places I've been.

Anyhow, from what I can tell, the model depicts the ship as an anti-aircraft cruiser in 1944-45.

The kit has 8 pages of card parts and 2 pages of thin paper parts. There are also 4 pages of drawings and a 2-view on the inside cover. It will end up bigger than anything I've made at 81 cm.

This is my first 1:200th ship and also my first full hull. I'm hoping I can do a good job - we'll see. I also don't want to use any laser cut or photo etch if possible, but if the tiny parts get looking too clunky I may end up going with that.

Please feel free to give tips and pointers! I learn a lot by posting my builds in progress here.

Lex 11-14-2008 03:54 AM

I'd be looking forward to this build! I've yet to build my own full hull so I have a lot to learn from here too

redhorse 11-19-2008 11:01 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I finally have a bit of progress to report. I got the frames cut out and put together and it's going to be pretty big! I'll have to sand it down and then it looks like next step is more lamination with the decks.

4ps 11-20-2008 03:09 AM

This cruiser is very unique. I'm look forward your build!

especially those naval guns : )

willygoat 11-20-2008 07:46 AM

Looks good Jim!

eibwarrior 11-20-2008 06:06 PM

Good start Jim... Hey, that looks pretty big. How long is that tip to tip? Looks like close to 30"...

This should be a fun one.

birder 11-20-2008 08:47 PM

That looks good Jim!

Zathros 11-21-2008 12:32 AM

That's a really good start. This is the part where the whole model will be off if it is done wrong, but yours is right, of course.

willygoat 11-21-2008 08:03 AM

Based on the picture of your work area, you and I think alike in the glue department. I have the same collection of adhesives that you do as far as I can tell.

redhorse 11-21-2008 08:44 AM

Thanks guys! That cracks me up Willygoat - isn't it funny how glue collections grow? I do love my Aleenes!